RHINO AFRICA
3,8 out of 5 stars.

RHINO AFRICA Employee Reviews

Working from Rhino Africa was fantastic for my career development. It exposed me to a new way of working in a target oriented, fast paced environment which has allowed me to flourish in my new role once I had left Rhino Africa to move to the UK.
They have a very strong gay culture which is great but the harassment undertones are present, managers making snark comments, flirting and evening hanging out privately in order to be in with the crowd is quite overwhelming and disappointing.
Pros
Great travel opportunities
Cons
working environment
I loved working for Rhino Africa, they are a excellent company to work for. They focused on helping us grow on a professional level and great managers
Pros
Learnt so much, traveled, great managers and co workers
Cons
salary
Extremely toxic work environment. Poor pay for new starters. Unless you're a favorite among the higher ups, you'll receive no acknowledgement. So don't expect a salary increase unless you fight for it. Full of power plays, mismanagement and micromanagement. Interns will suffer the most. Minimum pay for full time work and no growth.
I was offered a job at Rhino for a certain salary that I knew was below market related. I tried to negotiate it to be higher, however, to no avail. What was used as a tactic to make me forget about that. 90% off of travel in Africa, 20 days leave, Discounted meals at the Cafe and 6% Retirement Fund. What I was not told: - Travel in Africa with Rhino even discounted is still a minimum R3000 per night. Flights to go to Zambia were cheaper through BA than the work travel portal, which promises to be cheaper. - The retirement fund is 3% from your salary and 3% from the company (which is fine, except it was sold as if it was 6% from the company) - Meals at the cafe even discounted are still 3 times the price of just bringing my own food. Nevermind a toxic work culture with a revovling door.
A typical day was coming in at 06h30 every morning, having a cup of coffee and going to my desk and getting my day started. I'd be at my desk in front of the computer editing documents for travel agents. Most of the time its last minute documents that needed to be sent to clients. I didn't mind because that made my job challenging in some way. I would get a 30min lunch break. At 15h30 my day would end. I enjoyed my job and love admin. The hardest part of my day was the silence in the office. The workplace had its fun days and lunch time made up for the rest of the day being silent. I learned to be strong and not let people walk all over me.
Pros
Cafe lunch at the office and a few colleagues I worked with.
I worked under a high amount of pressure and had to make good decisions quickly. I learnt how to multi task efficiently, manage guests needs and expectations without fail and work happily and productively in a supportive and open planned work environment. The hardest part of my job was managing many different and complicated itineraries at the same time, but the reward of having happy guests and exceeding expectations, made the difficult moments worth it.
I was brought onto Rhino Africa as a systems analyst to work in their startup within the company, a new systems for B2B and internal use. I started a product team, defined processes, worked on innovative specifications and created proper feedback cycles. I also worked as a product manager, strategically defining changes to the system. I was given a separate project working directly for the CEO analyzing every company department, mapping department and creating solutions for making processes efficient through the use of new systems
Pros
Company Chef, pension fund, wellness weeks, company weekend aways, 20 days leave
Your day starts with working through your inbox and responding to client from the day before. you receive anything from 1 - 9 enquiries that need to be responded to and quoted. I have learnt a lot about how to deal with clients, the easy going ones and the difficult ones, as well as information on different destinations within Africa The hardest part of the job is to keep up to date with new enquiries that come in and continuous ongoing interaction with clients whilst keeping your admin up to date. The most enjoyable is working with a team that has huge amounts of knowledge and working in a great atmosphere.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at RHINO AFRICA?
  1. Employee Reviews