Rhodes University

Rhodes University Employee Reviews

South Africa114 reviews
productive
Management will help you with the duties assigned to you. You get to have the experience of sharing ideas with your colleagues. As a Tutor, I was involved in the marking of scripts and assisting the lecturers to disseminate information to students. The most challenging aspect of this job was dealing with students that had no interests in the subject areas.
5,0
The department offers a productive and stimulating environment.
I learn new things everyday, through engagement with staff and students and thoroughly enjoy the intellectual engagement and unpacking complicated concepts.
5,0
Challenging work space that brings out the best in you
Competitive work space that brings out the best in the journalism and media studies student. Highly recommend as an introduction to the working world - it is a veritable minefield and navigating it successfully makes one feel accomplished.
Satisfying
Allowed me to get by, as a student. And to learn and practise what I had been taught. The remuneration could have been better, as most students live off the very basic amount.
Job Review
Great relaxed working environment . You are not there to only teach but it is a great opportunity to learn as-well. Everything is done in a collaborative effort with an understanding and diverse team
Educative and Prigressive.
Working at Rhodes University as a tutor is a great opportunity for any student looking to gain a bit of work experience and cash while studying. Rhodes being a relatively small University in comparison to other South African Universities offers an opportunity for close up and more personal relationships between lecturers, students and tutors. It was an amazing learning and working environment,
Growth
Beautiful Institution, Working with students can be challenging but there is sufficient support from colleagues and Superiors. The weather in grahamstown can be hectic but you will survive
Tutoring
Tutoring is great for earning pocket money.
A typical day involved marking and meeting up with students for a 45 minute session.

The enjoyable part was watching the student's marks improve!
Relaxed, flexible work environment
Rhodes University offers a very flexible working environment. One can work from home or at the office, however the office is a shared space and many times one can get kicked out the office if there are meetings. They do not notify you in advance.
Educational
Overall, the opportunity help me gain communication skills. Including presenting and teaching. it was a very educational experience, in that I learned more about the content through discussions with the students that I tutored.`
4,0
Learning and on site experience
I am gaining work place experience and I have amazing people who are constantly supporting me in my journey. I know that I can always learn more and I am open to new experiences and learning on the Job.
Challenging
Pleasantly rewarding experience. Lots of opportunities to gain and supportive management. It's a diverse community that is not discriminating and welcoming to everyone.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Good work environment
Though my experience of working for the university was fairly short. There is a lot that I was able to learn. Starting from the way in which a person has to conduct themselves professionally with others
3,0
Higher education sector is stressful
Times and pressures have changed the higher education sector into being quite a difficult space to manage. Changed student demands and very different top management expectations make this sector stressful, but the rewards remain incredible. One gets to research and get paid for that!
Productive workplace
Facilitating a discussion on work given to the students by the lecturers. It has not only enriched by knowledge of the subject but has allowed me to work with different people and learn different things from them. It has also helped build by confidence. The job is not necessarily difficult per say, it just mostly about finding ways to get the students to participate. The most enjoyable part is definitely the discussions that take place.
Worthwhile and educative
Typical 'work day'involves; preparing tutorial sessions, weekly lesson reviews and dictation tests., reviewing student areas of struggle, and researching adjunct study methods and tools to assist students in bettering their learning skills.

Excellent way of revising the field of study yourself as well as developing new skills.

Top management is not involved. The HOD is held in charge yet does not involve themselves but often leaves it to the teachers to organize the tutors. This can be very disorganized as the teacher contracts are temporary and teacher change almost yearly. This often disrupts the flow of the department and the students learning can shift each year. This requires some adaptability and communication.

The workplace culture is very supportive and friendly.
Pros
Friendly and supportive workplace environment
Training and creativity
The research culture has brought about dynamism and diversity in the institutional culture which prepares students and researchers for any challenge. It has a lot of leadership programs in which participation in has emphasized the significance of ethics and principle.
Pros
Research diversity
Cons
Isolated town
good working environment
Rhodes has good work ethics. i enjoy my job as you get to interact with students a lot during field work and oracticals. you learn new things everyday.
productive
very good working environment colleagues were extremely competent and helpful when required to assist on key tasks and project. great teams with great individuals.
4,0
Productive and harmonious working place
On 13th May 2016, I went to work with enthusiasm and learnt how to operate NMR Machines. The management and staff at Rhodes are easily accessible. Because of the low student-to-lecturer ratio, you can speak to your lecturers and advisors about any academic issues that you may encounter and make friends easily. Rhodes University is a prestigious institution with rich workers and students life both on campus and in Grahamstown. This ensures that the Rhodes community is tight-knit and that most workers and students here make long-lasting friendships. Rhodes has a distinctive atmosphere that is friendly, easy-going and intellectually engaging. The hardest part of the job is fetching chemicals from the underground store without using an elevator. The most enjoyable part of the job is the isolation of compounds and running you NMR samples. The semi-arid landscape of Rhodes University is captivating, with crystal clear night skies for stargazing. Here, you will find many farm bed-and-breakfasts where you can stay and enjoy the wildlife as well as a picnic.
Pros
Free launches and coffee
Intern Counselling Psychologist
I enjoyed working at Rhodes University Counselling Centre. I grew significantly as a young psychologist in a small amount of time because of the facilitative role that it played.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rhodes University. Our community is ready to answer.
4,1