Rhodes University
Rhodes University Employee Review

Productive and harmonious working place

29 April 2019
On 13th May 2016, I went to work with enthusiasm and learnt how to operate NMR Machines. The management and staff at Rhodes are easily accessible. Because of the low student-to-lecturer ratio, you can speak to your lecturers and advisors about any academic issues that you may encounter and make friends easily. Rhodes University is a prestigious institution with rich workers and students life both on campus and in Grahamstown. This ensures that the Rhodes community is tight-knit and that most workers and students here make long-lasting friendships. Rhodes has a distinctive atmosphere that is friendly, easy-going and intellectually engaging. The hardest part of the job is fetching chemicals from the underground store without using an elevator. The most enjoyable part of the job is the isolation of compounds and running you NMR samples. The semi-arid landscape of Rhodes University is captivating, with crystal clear night skies for stargazing. Here, you will find many farm bed-and-breakfasts where you can stay and enjoy the wildlife as well as a picnic.
4,0Work/Life Balance
4,0Salary/Benefits
4,0Job Security/Advancement
4,0Management
4,0Culture
Pros
Free launches and coffee
12 June 2020
Administrator at career centre (Former Employee) - Grahamstown, Eastern Cape
I worked at Rhodes University for three years but the contract ended. I worked independently and enjoyed my work so much as the admin assistant of the career centre.
Pros
You deal with different people from different back ground
Cons
The work enviroment can be atressful
5,0
3 March 2020
Writer & Organizer (Former Employee) - Grahamstown, South Africa
Competitive work space that brings out the best in the journalism and media studies student. Highly recommend as an introduction to the working world - it is a veritable minefield and navigating it successfully makes one feel accomplished.
12 February 2020
Tutor and Mentor (Former Employee) - Grahamstown, Eastern Cape
Allowed me to get by, as a student. And to learn and practise what I had been taught. The remuneration could have been better, as most students live off the very basic amount.