Rhodes University
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Rhodes University Employee Reviews

An absolutely honorable place to be. Great people, amazing support system and an open-door policy. The work is a firm foundation, teaching valuable lessons and encouraging creation of good habits.
Pros
Lecturer's Support. Flexible hours.
It is a student job, and it is a good experience. I cannot really rate it as a proper, full time job. It was more of a requirement for experience during my Honours year.
I worked at Rhodes University for three years but the contract ended. I worked independently and enjoyed my work so much as the admin assistant of the career centre.
Pros
You deal with different people from different back ground
Cons
The work enviroment can be atressful
Management will help you with the duties assigned to you. You get to have the experience of sharing ideas with your colleagues. As a Tutor, I was involved in the marking of scripts and assisting the lecturers to disseminate information to students. The most challenging aspect of this job was dealing with students that had no interests in the subject areas.
I learn new things everyday, through engagement with staff and students and thoroughly enjoy the intellectual engagement and unpacking complicated concepts.
Competitive work space that brings out the best in the journalism and media studies student. Highly recommend as an introduction to the working world - it is a veritable minefield and navigating it successfully makes one feel accomplished.
A days work is very challenging. Discovering new things to learn about on a daily basis. Management allows me to improve myself by studying towards a degree.
Allowed me to get by, as a student. And to learn and practise what I had been taught. The remuneration could have been better, as most students live off the very basic amount.
Great relaxed working environment . You are not there to only teach but it is a great opportunity to learn as-well. Everything is done in a collaborative effort with an understanding and diverse team
This job helps you to interact with different people from different backgrounds.It makes you learn more about other cultures as it is a very diverse institution.The typical day starts with taking rounds to all areas assigned to me checking for maintenance requisitions and if staff have started perfoming their duties and whether they are following their daily work schedules .The hardest part about the job is usually dealing with staff are difficult when you implement new and simpler ways of doing things, it is rather challenging than difficult .The most enjoyable part is when you and the team are recognised for a job well done and when achieved above 80% for hygiene audits
Working here was a wonderful, growing experience. Students are quite dedicated and assiduous. The English Department was collegiate, with colleagues who inspired each other to do better. One of the facets of working here I truly enjoyed was having tutorials in my office which was spacious enough to accommodate fifteen students, and having that space continuously abuzz with bright learning and laughter
Working at Rhodes University as a tutor is a great opportunity for any student looking to gain a bit of work experience and cash while studying. Rhodes being a relatively small University in comparison to other South African Universities offers an opportunity for close up and more personal relationships between lecturers, students and tutors. It was an amazing learning and working environment,
Beautiful Institution, Working with students can be challenging but there is sufficient support from colleagues and Superiors. The weather in grahamstown can be hectic but you will survive
Tutoring is great for earning pocket money. A typical day involved marking and meeting up with students for a 45 minute session. The enjoyable part was watching the student's marks improve!
Rhodes University offers a very flexible working environment. One can work from home or at the office, however the office is a shared space and many times one can get kicked out the office if there are meetings. They do not notify you in advance.
Overall, the opportunity help me gain communication skills. Including presenting and teaching. it was a very educational experience, in that I learned more about the content through discussions with the students that I tutored.`
I am gaining work place experience and I have amazing people who are constantly supporting me in my journey. I know that I can always learn more and I am open to new experiences and learning on the Job.
Pleasantly rewarding experience. Lots of opportunities to gain and supportive management. It's a diverse community that is not discriminating and welcoming to everyone.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Though my experience of working for the university was fairly short. There is a lot that I was able to learn. Starting from the way in which a person has to conduct themselves professionally with others
Times and pressures have changed the higher education sector into being quite a difficult space to manage. Changed student demands and very different top management expectations make this sector stressful, but the rewards remain incredible. One gets to research and get paid for that!
Facilitating a discussion on work given to the students by the lecturers. It has not only enriched by knowledge of the subject but has allowed me to work with different people and learn different things from them. It has also helped build by confidence. The job is not necessarily difficult per say, it just mostly about finding ways to get the students to participate. The most enjoyable part is definitely the discussions that take place.
  1. Employee Reviews