Rhodes University

Rhodes University Employee Reviews for Demonstrator

Work is enjoyable and interacting with different people is the best part, having to help them out when they reach out to me. The hardest thing is to get people to work to their best ability towards their school work when they are not interested or tired as the practicals last for a long time.
Pros
Interacting with other students and helping them out
Cons
Having to explain a practical that you just received and did it in first year.
I ran practicals for undergraduate students. This included setting up and running the practicals and showing students how to use the equipment and lead them through the experiment and run through relevant theoretical information. Required a lot of hands on work and patience. Was rewarding.
Work fluctuated all the time. One was either overworked or underworked, there was no consistency in workload. However it was part time job specifically designed for students at the university. The tutors and staff do have a close working relationship though.
Pros
Connections and Experience
Cons
unfair salary for the workload amounts at times
Formulating stuff was fun to monitor and learning more about the aspects of pharmaceutics that I was no longer in touch with made it very rewarding. Requires more in-work training.
Pros
Interaction with students
Cons
No prior training given, no marking scheme
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rhodes University?