Rhodes University
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Rhodes University Employee Reviews for Lecturer

Rhodes University is a leading academic institution, with top researchers and a high academic standard. Rhodes is situated in Grahamstown, a small town full of character and amazing young people.
I am very happy in the department where I work, however the university's management (namely the HR and finance divisions) leave a lot to be desired. I am now being forced to write more characters, so here they are.
Rhodes provided me with funds to conduct my research and finishing my PhD. I had a great relationsip with the International Library of African Music located at Rhodes.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
small town
There is always something new to learn, a lovely team passionate about education and mathematics, teaching and learning for the young mind, a diverse approach to teaching and learning with clear step by step guidelines for both teachers and learners.
Pros
Free tea
Cons
Maximum dedication, Long hours
Flexible work hours are a huge benefit. The focus on research is limiting for someone who is more interested in teaching. There is limited accountability amongst colleagues.
Its an honor to be part of such a great institution with great people. One does not feel as a part time staff. Everyone is helpful and I have learnt a lot from each individual that i have interacted with.
Pros
I have learnt a lot
A typical day at work is lecturing students, completing my research, writing of publications, attending meetings when they arise, and sometimes just concentrating to matters of urgency. During my time here have have learned the following: I am able to deal with all matters with the utmost confidentiality and to handle all matters with care and concern, and competency. I believe I’m confident, and self-motivated, with initiative, tact, administrative and organizational skills, high numerical levels and diplomacy. I also have excellent communication and interpersonal skills with people, both written and verbal. I can work independently and also within a team, demonstrate a sense of urgency towards my tasks, respect of work ethics and also undertaking shared responsibilities with all levels of people. I like being transparent and devoted to my work thereby working effectively and efficiently. The hardest part of my job is actually procrastination!! The most enjoyable part of my job is "waking up to enjoy my hobby"
Pros
Flexible times
Cons
Away from home