Rhodes University

Rhodes University Employee Reviews

An absolutely honorable place to be. Great people, amazing support system and an open-door policy. The work is a firm foundation, teaching valuable lessons and encouraging creation of good habits.
Pros
Lecturer's Support. Flexible hours.
On 13th May 2016, I went to work with enthusiasm and learnt how to operate NMR Machines. The management and staff at Rhodes are easily accessible. Because of the low student-to-lecturer ratio, you can speak to your lecturers and advisors about any academic issues that you may encounter and make friends easily. Rhodes University is a prestigious institution with rich workers and students life both on campus and in Grahamstown. This ensures that the Rhodes community is tight-knit and that most workers and students here make long-lasting friendships. Rhodes has a distinctive atmosphere that is friendly, easy-going and intellectually engaging. The hardest part of the job is fetching chemicals from the underground store without using an elevator. The most enjoyable part of the job is the isolation of compounds and running you NMR samples. The semi-arid landscape of Rhodes University is captivating, with crystal clear night skies for stargazing. Here, you will find many farm bed-and-breakfasts where you can stay and enjoy the wildlife as well as a picnic.
Pros
Free launches and coffee
I enjoyed working at Rhodes University Counselling Centre. I grew significantly as a young psychologist in a small amount of time because of the facilitative role that it played.
Rhodes University is a good school with skilled lecturing and support staff. However, the environment is not conducive for maintaining good mental and emotional health.
Pros
Good education
Cons
Toxic environment
The student classes are small and manageable due to the size of the University. The Informations Systems department is also a wonderful place to work under with lecturers providing great assistance and guidance throughout the year on all that is required from tutors.
Required me to provide tutoring at a third year university level to mathematical statistics students. Required to pre-prepare, tutor and mark the provided assignments as well as invigilate tests.
Pros
Gain knowledge and experience
SUPPORTS DEVELOPMENT.entitled Academic readiness of students for higher education: a Rhodes university case study. This research is informed by the renewed interest in education policy and academic support. Moreover, the contestation in finding resonance between sustainability and development amidst an education crisis. Other research interests include the Sociology of Health and Illness, Health Innovation and Design, the Sociology of Sex and Gender, Sociology of Deviance, and the Politics of Knowledge Production specifically relating to the decolonization discourse.
It was a pleasure working with this team, all the support needed were given to us. • A first year course which is a pre-requisite for Information Systems course • Running of the tutorials and helping out students with their practicals • Assessment and marking of students practicals and their home assignments on a weekly basis
Rhodes University is a leading academic institution, with top researchers and a high academic standard. Rhodes is situated in Grahamstown, a small town full of character and amazing young people.
Work ar RU is a high load but it is worth it. You learn a lot from your daily activities, thus it gets exciting at times. Colleagues are very sweet people and very helpful. the environment is very advance in technology. Since it is a smaller community, things move quicker and effective.
Pros
Good team work. Helpful people. Good management
Cons
Work is enjoyable and interacting with different people is the best part, having to help them out when they reach out to me. The hardest thing is to get people to work to their best ability towards their school work when they are not interested or tired as the practicals last for a long time.
Pros
Interacting with other students and helping them out
Cons
Having to explain a practical that you just received and did it in first year.
Not being prepared for a topic because tutorials were sent very late. You just need to go with the flow. Management is about right. Culture is good. Tutoring when tutlings are writing a test on the day. Having the best group.
Pros
Gaining experience
Cons
Tutoring when students are writing a test.
I am very happy in the department where I work, however the university's management (namely the HR and finance divisions) leave a lot to be desired. I am now being forced to write more characters, so here they are.
Tutoring only happens once a week. As a tutor, I must prepare the work I will be assisting student with and do the necessary marking. I learned how to articulate myself and how to teach and ensure that there is understanding.
Pros
Constant learning
Cons
Non-participation of learners
It was a good experience, I learnt a lot. My supervisors were very fun and understanding, they made you want to go to work. It was an overall wonderfully experience, I would do it again.
At rhodes it differs on which department your you are working in. You will find different managers oparate differently. If they could employ staff members permanently not because of their skin colour.
Pros
opportunity to study
Cons
limited work contracts
Rhodes provided me with funds to conduct my research and finishing my PhD. I had a great relationsip with the International Library of African Music located at Rhodes.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
small town
I worked with a single attorney. He consulted the clients and received cases. My primary job was drafting legal documents and doing research for upcoming matters.
Pros
flexible hourss
Cons
long comute
It it a challenging place but it makes one grow beyond their capacity. They is a lot of internal support and advice from dedicated people. Atypical day at work starts from 8.30 to 4pm. it is a very conducive to work in. I learnt to work well with people and as a solid team. I learnt not to take emotional or personal decisions. There is no enforcement of the hierarchy system which makes working with management very easy. The hardest past of the job is dealing with frustrated students almost on a daily and having to sympathies with them. however that is the most enjoyable part for me knowing that you have helped someone and put a smile on their face.
Pros
free coffee and rusks
Cons
unfixed hours during peak times.
A great first step in the working environment. It teaches you as much as provides you with a fair salary. It was also a great way to get a tax number.
Departments tend to be insular and keep to themselves, but there is a good sense of support within them. Management is sometimes too casual, but communication is good and there is a well established system for dealing with workplace conflicts.
Pros
On campus, close to secure parking, access to cafe, kitchenette
Cons
Take-home work, after hours work
  1. Employee Reviews