Rhodes University

Rhodes University Employee Reviews

An absolutely honorable place to be. Great people, amazing support system and an open-door policy. The work is a firm foundation, teaching valuable lessons and encouraging creation of good habits.
Pros
Lecturer's Support. Flexible hours.
I find Rhode as an enjoyable working place where we meet different people and their characters and different behaviours of one being so its a fun place to work at with the benefits and not discriminating of others and with the fact that when they employ a person they also advise people to place their spouses on data base as well and if a parent has child that studying in the university they give them a discount on payment of fees now isn't that very nice, we also receive food lunch at work at food services.
Pros
Cons
Normal hours
The Student fees department deals with student accounts/ finances. i mostly dealt with invoices, statements, daily inquiries and walk ins as well as email correspondence.
Pros
Awesome team
Cons
A typical day at work consisted of typing communication documents and taking notes in a court of law. From this job I learned to be organized and discreet. The workplace thrive with mutual respect and generous sharing of knowledge. The hardest part of the job was seating in court and listening to how someone was gruesomely murdered.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
I am a music student at Rhodes University. Doing sound technology and instrumental studies. It is African music and every close of term there are performances done to evaluate work done in the particular term.
great working space, and generally a very supportive organizational culture. Also very casual and overall i enjoyed my working experience and would be glad to do it again
My work involved working with a group of 20 students tutoring them in Accounting 2. I enhanced my time management skills as i had to make time within my study schedule to accommodate preparing for the tutorials. It was great to work closer to the lecturers who are generally free and approachable people. The hardest part was failing to resolve a question on time with a student or taking long to clarify. The most enjoyable was learning aspects which were helpful to my own subjects as well.
A wonderful environment that promotes growth and development. it promotes learning and communication. good organisation culture with great benefits. one disadvantage is that is has heavy workloads and tight deadlines, however with the much needed and afforded support it is manageable.
Pros
Great learperning experience and interaction with students
Cons
heavy workload and tight deadlines
Meetings would indicate what needs to happen in the week. I learned teamwork, time management, organisational skills and working under pressure as I'd have to juggle my and the students' workload. Rhodes encourages learning and is very inclusive. The hardest part of the job was having to work with people who didn't want to learn. The most enjoyable part was working with different personalities.
Institution of higher learning which embraces technology for its day-to-day running for its processes. The tranquility of its location add to its relaxed and yet vibrant working environment.
I enjoyed the work culture that we had going on. We got to meet celebrities that were coming to showcase their trade at the National Arts Festival and managed to get some contacts through interactions with them.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Long Hours
It was a short vacation job. I learnt so much about communication and team work. The challenging part of the job was working late as I had to be at reception for guest that were coming in. but I truly enjoyed working with the people I worked with.
I ran practicals for undergraduate students. This included setting up and running the practicals and showing students how to use the equipment and lead them through the experiment and run through relevant theoretical information. Required a lot of hands on work and patience. Was rewarding.
Immersed within a large variety of people. The system is helpful for tutors in particular without issues of resource shortage. The same cannot be said for the students.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Prep time
I worked as a subwarden the experience was pleasant. I learnt a lot about myself. I would wake up at 6am and take role call at the dining hall. Interacting with people was the best part of the job.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Given that it is a student based job, there has not been room to move up in the organisation. however, i have grown personally and i am able to solve problems that come my way as i deal with students' issues on a daily basis.
Highly professional and well run institution. conducive to learning for students of higher education institution and very competitive academic environment.
There is always something new to learn, a lovely team passionate about education and mathematics, teaching and learning for the young mind, a diverse approach to teaching and learning with clear step by step guidelines for both teachers and learners.
Pros
Free tea
Cons
Maximum dedication, Long hours
Flexible work hours are a huge benefit. The focus on research is limiting for someone who is more interested in teaching. There is limited accountability amongst colleagues.
My day at work has it challenges and also be a good working day. There is daily interaction with student’s staff, sand various stakeholders There is continuous two way communication with the supervision team and they are regularly update on any new issues. The biggest challenge is with the abuse of social media and the distortion of factual matters. This is very common by the students on the matter, and thus once this is conducted requires damage control. In this environment, there is a lack of acceptance to modernize ways of working and thus in order to have this implement one will as they say take control and be effective. This is what I starting in-house with the unit and have thus spread to the various committee I’m affiliated to within the university, for e.g. the Disciplinary Committee, Safety & Events, Hall wardens, etc. and not limited to. I have a passion for what I do and interact with various stakeholders internal and external, government departments when there is is a VIP Protection detail to plan.
at Rhodes I was dealing with students inquiries on a daily basis, work in hand with administration staff in help them with their work on a regular basis.