Rhodes University

Rhodes University Employee Reviews

An absolutely honorable place to be. Great people, amazing support system and an open-door policy. The work is a firm foundation, teaching valuable lessons and encouraging creation of good habits.
Pros
Lecturer's Support. Flexible hours.
I lectured different linguistics modules to first year students. I also tutored every module. I was in charge of every aspect of the particular modules I lectured. I set exams and assignments. I set and conducted full lectures. The hardest part was definitely being the final authority on these students results for a particular module. My favourite part was definitely working with language, which is my passion as well as working with different people, young or old.
Rhodes University is in the top five research universities in South Africa despite having the smallest student body in the country. A disproportionate number of its graduates find places in leadership.
At Rhodes University, I have been more of a student than I am of an employee. My tutoring job was the best experience, even though I was not paid well. I learnt to balance between work and academics, critical thinker and I have learnt to work under pressure without any supervision. The Department of Statistics has a very good management team, with good working relationship between employers and employees. The hardest part of the job was to be considerate when marking students. In addition, meeting deadlines was also not easy, but because I am able to work under pressure. I was able to submit reports and marked scripts on time.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
sometimes working on weekends
Great job within the university residence system. I was involved in the day to day running and management of the residence. Tasked with the responsibility to ensure the overall wellbeing of students and the fluent running of operations in the residence .
Pros
Good salary
Cons
It was a good way to make money as a student. I learnt a lot about how to deal with people. I learnt about problem solving and basic counseling.
Pros
A great part-time job
Cons
I enjoyed the interaction with the students and also had a very supportive team that I worked with. This was a very interesting work environment and I would take the opportunity again.
Pros
Discount on fees
Cons
Long Hours
I had a very nice working environment and good relationship with the colleagues. A very good supportive team and the supervisors. The content taught is also advanced and applicable to real life.
Pros
Free luches
Cons
short hours but longer if reactions are not working
It was great contributimg towards tje knowledge and understanding of fellow students who were a year behind. Having a positive impact in their lives gave me a sense of purpose
A typical day at work includes overseeing the quality and conducive functioning of the Research Commons and PostGraduate Commons; this includes supervising Student Assistants; Assisting researchers with research-related queries, raising awareness to useful research-related software and co-ordinating workshops; Benchmarking researcher published research and raising visibility of their research for both individual and institutional benefits The research environment is affected by socio-economic and political environments. It is essential to adapt to these changes so as to provide optimal customer service. Balance levels on micro-management and freedom for self-development is essential in these rapidly changing environments The hardest part of the job is to sustain a balance between time spent on operating and functional responsibilities, and exploring changing trends with the purpose of implementing them provided they will advance the academic and research programme. Every day is an exciting day. Colleagues, academics and students are exciting people to work with; there are both challenges and opportunities with each day. User-services and technology are the drivers for the enjoyment in this job.
Pros
Opportunities for self-development
Improved lots of my skills by working in various departments, meeting different pupils with different backgrounds...
There were flexible working hours with my job. The department had a great working culture and was well managed. In addition to that I had great co-workers who were constantly willing to assist.
Pros
Flexiable working hours
It was great place to work and the office hours were not stringent, could both work and study. Would recommend it anyone. Hardest part of the job was grading assignments.
Pros
Salary on time
Cons
Test/exam times
Gained a lot of knowledge during my time with them. Worked with some very learned and professional people. Loved the interaction with the students
Pros
Opportunity to work at a internationally recognised university
This job is a job that needs you to be prepared because students are going to be asking you a lot of questions, ones you expert and ones you don't so you have to be fully prepared. I learn a lot in this job because i get to recap on the things that i did years back, things i have possibly forgotten. So it's really enlightening on some other things, how you deal and analyse general data, this is an amazing experience for me. Hardest part of the job is that it gets quite tiring, as I stand for 2 hours straight attending each and every student in my tutorial group who has a question to ask, which normally they do. Also having to encourage the students when they haven't done well in a tutorial test or tutorial/test in general. One other thing is to encourage students to work hard when they clearly don't want to put much effort in their work.
Work fluctuated all the time. One was either overworked or underworked, there was no consistency in workload. However it was part time job specifically designed for students at the university. The tutors and staff do have a close working relationship though.
Pros
Connections and Experience
Cons
unfair salary for the workload amounts at times
It gave me a chance to interact with interesting people. I learned more about art. It improved my communication and problem-solving skills. Teamwork The hardest part of the job is that sometimes you have to deal with rude and realistic and in those circumstances you to be polite and calm no matter how rude the person is because you are representing the organization "you are their brand".
Pros
meeting new people with different characteristics
Cons
Rude or unrealistic guests
Worked with young adults at Rhodes University Predominantly second and third years Tutoring Psychology Marking and providing feedback to students
Pros
personally learning and growing
Cons
lots of marking
A very productive day at work, meeting different people of different characters. Learnt how to deal and cope with different people's attitudes as well as working in a team. Good time management and getting a lot of work done (covering relevant topics within a given time). The job was fun and manageable. I enjoyed creating networks, meeting new people and gaining some new knowledge from colleagues.
Pros
Free accommodation
Cons
extended hours
Decent place to work in especially at the entry level. Great place to kick-start one's career. Colleagues and Management are so eager to assist. I got to learn a lot and learn new things everyday. Management is competent at running the Institution. People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
Pros
Great company to start off your career with, Plenty of opportunity for growth, Great people to work with.
Cons
The compensation can be lacking
The office is always busy with personnel and students coming in. Politics and red tape is frustrating. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Time frames has to be met to ensure smooth running of the daily procedures. The office environment is always happy and friendly.