Rhodes University

Rhodes University Employee Reviews

An absolutely honorable place to be. Great people, amazing support system and an open-door policy. The work is a firm foundation, teaching valuable lessons and encouraging creation of good habits.
Pros
Lecturer's Support. Flexible hours.
Formulating stuff was fun to monitor and learning more about the aspects of pharmaceutics that I was no longer in touch with made it very rewarding. Requires more in-work training.
Pros
Interaction with students
Cons
No prior training given, no marking scheme
Its an honor to be part of such a great institution with great people. One does not feel as a part time staff. Everyone is helpful and I have learnt a lot from each individual that i have interacted with.
Pros
I have learnt a lot
I love my job, learnt a lot whilst working here for 6 years. There are people from diverse backgrounds and I have built many lasting relationships with them
Pros
Plenty of benefits, Humble people
Cons
I was not permanent so therefore I had no benefits
A typical days involves handing out the master key at least five times to different students because they have lost their room keys. I learnt patience, because some students would wake me up after midnight asking for the master key. I have also learned to tolerate different cultures and religions because we were diverse in that manner. It was difficult to manage sometimes because of my tight schedule of lectures and the absence of some members on meetings.
Pros
Dinners with Hall fellow (Lecturers and former Lecturers)
Cons
Night shifts
My day begins with a cup of tea and conversations with my colleagues about work and research. I learned to be open to new ideas; I learned to be professional; I learned how to structure my day at work and keep time as my guiding force. I had supportive management who work hard but still can socialize. My co-workers were hard working individuals who were always willing to help and give advice whenever is needed. Dealing with first years is challenging and compensating. However, marking essays is more intellectually demanding and energy consuming. I enjoyed facilitating discussions and discovering new ideas with my tutlings.
Pros
It is intellectually compensating
Cons
My job requires a lot of time, especially in preparing for tutorials and pays less.
A typical day would involve checking the visiting book ensuring that all guests are out at the required time.Turning off of unnecessary lights and locking of all residence main/side doors for safety.Checking post in the office and removal/replacement of up to date notices around the residence .Generally checking that everything is fine within the residence. Learned patience and how to balance my time accordingly in order to meet my academic requirements as well as job needs. I kept a schedule and daily task reminder to ensure nothing was left to last minute or undone. Worked very closely with the other two sub wardens and warden in order to help each other out and make each others jobs smoother and more pleasant. The hardest part of the job was having self discipline and patience especially when one slacked on their behalf in order to pick up the pieces and keep going.As well as to try and make oneself available to all when needed. Most enjoyable part was having kept the residence safe and conducive.The feeling of having worked hard to build a great home for others brought a lot of pleasure.Also the opportunity to work closely with people from other cultures was very interesting and beneficial.
Pros
Salary.Duties were flexible.Fun job
Cons
Great deal of administration work at the beginning and end of term.Was not spread out
A typical day begiins by checking all my mail Check to do list Plan school visits according to feedre school numbers and location Contact schools Enquiries I learned to work independantly Management was very stringent at times with the manager being based elsewhere yet wanting total control. Often getting approval took longer then necessary Co- workers were friendly and helpful when it comes to sharing information The hardest part of the job was teaching myself to use the universities software because no formal training is provided The most enjoyable part of the job was tghe travelling and meeting people from different walks of life
Pros
Subsistence and travelling allowances
Cons
No induction and internal training
Secured in-service training at Rhodes University as an assistant in Creditors Office. I had organised this myself. Achievements: Secured subsequent temporary contracts in the Finance Division at Rhodes University and I became permanent. Last year I was recommended for merit award, and also I’m exceeded my job profile because I’m doing everything around my job, I can do senior data clerk work and also some of my supervisors work.
Pros
month end teas, year end functions
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rhodes University?
Attending tutorials in addition to lectures is part of compulsory academic obligations for every student at Rhodes University. Tutors are selected based on their academic achievements, and help facilitate the students' learning by going over and further clarifying the content covered in lectures. I had to attend weekly meetings that were lead by the lecturer, who engaged the class to ensure that tutors were prepared with regards to the content to be addressed in tutorials. At the tutorials themselves I had to facilitate a positive learning environment and encourage active participation. This allowed me to refine and improve my leadership abilities. My intent was to maintain a level of authority without being domineering. Interpersonal skills really helped in this regard, and the three separate classes I taught (a total of 22 students) showed strong participation and engagement with the learning materials. Interacting with students and going over their inquiries was undoubtedly the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job was marking the written submissions, which were written -electronically submitted- tasks that students had to do as part of their learning. This duty required me to take care in terms of consistency and fairness. I had to provide elaborate feedback/ comments for each submission, taking full accountability for the quality of critique I provided. As this job was undertaken while I was still working on my honours degree, time management was essential, and this experience taught me -among other things- how to prioritize and schedule - more...
Pros
Great experience for refining people skills, improving time management
I work at the sports department at the University level. I get to interact with a lot of students, parents, community members and different departments from the University. i am an excellent communicator,can build and maintain working relationships on different levels. Also I have 17 years of experience as an administrator from different industries including banking, IT, Sports, Early childhood development and institution of higher education.
Pros
Interact with people from different cultures
Cons
Most sporting events happen over weekends
I enjoy being a tutor at the university because I get to engage thoruoughly with other students and also impart my skills and knowledge to them whenever the need arises. The hardest part of the job however, comes about when it comes to balancing the marking of essays and my own school work. It's definately a challenge but nothing that anyone cannot handle.
Pros
experience, interaction and learning
Cons
marking of essays whilst I have other school related deadlines to meet
Every day at Rhodes is just a day, because you get on with your work without anybody checking you, you just go on with your work
Pros
There are sometimes seminars held here
Cons
Long hours are when you want to work extra
Every Mondays at 2pm the start of a practical occurs and I meet students, give them tasks and supervise them while working. I assist them wherever they are lacking and make sure they grasp the necessary knowledge. So far I have learnt that it is important to cater for all kinds of groups and personality time in order to work in a diverse and happy environment. Time management is an important factor of my job as the students have to finish tasks on time though my assistance, also me being able to mark the work and submit mark sheets on time for moderation. Information Systems is an application course and deals with complex solutions to complex systems. The hardest part of my job lies in meeting deadline and sacrificing my school work for it sometimes. However, the most enjoyable part of my job is to work with different students who have different needs and lack somehow. I admire seeing students excel through my effort and applying my contributed skills to their own world.
Pros
Extended learning and knowldge
Cons
Working while standing for long hours
a typical day as a Sociology Tutor is sharing and learning different views and concepts from different people. Some of my workmates are my classmates so we share ideas and ways in which we can improve and make our tutorials more interactive and fun for the students. the most enjoyable part of the job is having students interact and watching them grow intellectually and sharpening their critical thinking skills
Pros
Friendly work staff
Cons
Management is very autocratic, racist, un-transformative and generally does not appreciate black people in this University. There is too much work that needs to be around integration of black people into the University's general society (white employees). Pity, this is the very institution which has got a relationship with Government, government which is 100% behind transformation. However, the story at Rhodes is a complete different of what government intends to do. Black people are being threatened with dismissals over and over again. There is just lack of transformation in this University, which is very displeasing.
Prepare practicals for the undergraduates Give practicals to students Mark the practicals give feed back and coach students
Pros
was good learning experience
Cons
too much work
Working hours usually lasted 4-6 hours. One could chose either the morning shift or evening shift depending on ones academic timetable. I learnt how to set the tables and how to serve guests. Furthermore, i learnt that presentation is key to attracting more guests and women should not wear to much makeup on the job. One must always keep themselves tidy. It was great working with other students and we formed a bond as waitresses. The hardest part of the job was not being able to sit down for long as the guest constantly needed our assistance. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting inspiring businessman and women who encouraged us to complete our studies. The management was very strict and one needed to be on time or their pay would be deducted.
Pros
being able to network with other legal professionals
Cons
some of the male guests would make inappropriate advances
it was an environment full of fun and at the same time an environment to learn fundamentals. i learnt the basics on human resources at Rhodes university as i was allowed to sit in interview panels.
Pros
learning environment, multicultural environment with a lot of diversity
Cons
time was short as i had to live after degree
The environment had a family element to it that allowed the individuals employed by the University to fully be heard when there were matters of concern. I thoroughly enjoyed tutoring.
A typical day at work would involve making decisions with regards to finances and budget, getting quotes for equipment, capturing student marks, meeting with staff to ensure work is being completed, following up on requisitions, forwarding requests to relevant divisions within the university, account reconciliation, dealing with suppliers and telephone enquiries.
  1. Employee Reviews