SANDF

SANDF Job Security & Advancement reviews

Clear
3.9Job Security & Advancement

Great place to work. Great people all around.

Great place for career growth and personal development.Plenty of opportunities for career progression.Self confidence and industrial worth can be best attained.

Pros

Your dedication to work will definitely be recognised by supervisors.

Cons

At times you'll be expected to go the extra mile. And for that you'll be rewarded.

Diciplinned and strict

Great people ...Fun environment and casual although strict and disciplined...Great hours with tea time and lunch time.Promotion to next rank available although it takes long

Pros

Functions fun daye etc

Cons

Duties

I love my job

I worked in the NDF for 15years and still not promotedHave been to couple of countries and have really gained a lotDrCongo,Burundi,SudanThank you.

Pros

Salaries

Self-discipline

Self-discipline is of utmost importance. Growth opportunities are available. Job security. You need to know how to follow orders and be a leader at the same time. Be medically fit.

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Long Hours

Welfare

This is the best place to start if you're an adventurous person and if you like the fitness lifestyle. A great place to explore the greatness of weapons and explosives, a place where 'intelligence ' and technology is of great significance . A place where discipline is a daily lesson. A field of many careers to choose from.

Productive but needs to concentrate more on proper leadership.

My work entail looking after my team and i am enjoying every moment thereof. Over the years i have learnt many skills and management strategies. Unfortunately the culture of the SANDF took a dip into negative territory but it's not something that cannot be remedied. The hardest part of the job is probably the fact that you have to remain single to ensure a successful career in the SANDF other than married couples who have to deal with going away for operations at prolonged period of time. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to travel and see different countries and places and meet many other soldiers, languages, cultures and people around the globe. The sense of purpose to serve a young democratic country and building a new inclusive nation is challenging but the thrill of accomplishment far outweigh the effort.

Pros

Best medical care system in the country and housing allowance.

Cons

Long hours, danger and travelling.

Physical fitness is a daily routine

Military career is a lifestyle of its kind requires one to mentally and physically fit and dedicated to his or her cause and it's very interesting . working at the SANDF has developed me in many aspects of life in my career and I have queit achieved a lot .

good overall career

great place for a young man to start a career ,they show you a hole new world and calture,it a great experience and there are basis all over sa .a unfogetteble experians

Pros

health care

Cons

short hair

Love discipline,uniformity,cleanliness

It's a good environment to start your security cluster work you get exposed to a lot of thing,your taught a lot of things which can later help you in life

Good

Good. It is exciting and challenging. I love my job. It is a unique experience. Opportunities for growth and development. Exposure to various conditions and environment.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SANDF?

It's a great environment to work in, as you learn to be a good, disciplined individual, you are also tested physically, mentally and emotionally, for the most part of your career

Not an environment for ambitious individuals

Very hard for individuals to grow in an environment that’s dominated by people who do not want to work hard at making it a possibility to be leaders in future. Progress gets cut by individuals who are your direct supervisors

Pros

Enough time to study and empowering yourself

Cons

Superiors want people to be submissive to their demands even if it’s rather personal, they tend to drag personal matters to work.

I'm happy that I have salary to take care of my son and my family

There is lot to learn in the SANDF but sometimes those who suppose to be in leadership they are so arrogant and difficult to learn but most of the time it's cool.

It gives you an opportunity to have skills that will help you when you're no more in the army

It gives its employees an opportunity to study or further their careers @ state expenses. It's values when it comes to the military culture is very strict

I like team work

Im currently working under SANDF and I would like to change scenery. Try something new... come up with new ideas and innovations. Safeguarding and security is my priority. Company needs comes before mine. I work under pressure

Military is not a job, but a "Calling" I was there for 23years as a " Contract Worker" the only true Benefit is the Medical at 3 Military Hospital for my family suffer now without it. I was bullied and attacked in my workplace, politics played a roll and even though I have completed all my courses in 2015, it was mentioned that "You are too male and too pale!" I worked hard and almost every year received a 2 Signal Regiment- Commendation, but I was to long in my rank, therefore only received once an incentive of R2000.

Pros

Medical and paid Military Courses

Cons

No career satisfaction or promotion for white personnel, My career manager phoned me to request what courses I have to do? This after I resigned?

Great job security

Because you work for the government job security is great. And depending on the directorate you're working for you can be deployed or get to travel to different cities or countries.

Pros

Traveling trips

Cons

Top management can be really hard to work with.

Not what it used to be

The SANDF is not an employer to be proud of.The lack of professionalism and discipline saw the SANDF declining. The salary and career advancement in the SANDF became unreliable and nepotism is the order of the day.

Pros

Cons

Unsatisfactory

Provides recreation sports day every Wednesday and physical training daily

The military has become extremely political driven for A - political career officers. I was developed to the level of General Command and Staff but was informed that my political affiliation is A - political due to the previous regime which I served in and this will deprive me of promotion to General. I retired as a Colonel after 12 years serving as a commander of operational and training units. I deployed as a national Contingent Commander in Burundi and Congo under AU and UN missions and was appointed as Sector Commander in Dafur under the AU and Hybrid AU/UN light support package mission.

Pros

Meals, accommodation and medical cover as for a defence force

Cons

Being a commander this perk, I decided my off times

Excellent experiece

An experience every young man should go through. It taught me discipline, punctuality, subordination, mutual respect. Multicultural environment with mutual understanding and respect.

Pros

EXCELLENT medical, Pension benifits.

Cons

The long months away from home.

Good workplace and very satisfying

Join the SANDF and see the world, no other environment would gives you the opportunity to meet so many interested people, countries and see so many different cultures

Pros

Good medical

Cons

Tough circumstances

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SANDF. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• SANDF