SANDF

SANDF Management reviews

Clear

Productive but needs to concentrate more on proper leadership.

My work entail looking after my team and i am enjoying every moment thereof. Over the years i have learnt many skills and management strategies. Unfortunately the culture of the SANDF took a dip into negative territory but it's not something that cannot be remedied. The hardest part of the job is probably the fact that you have to remain single to ensure a successful career in the SANDF other than married couples who have to deal with going away for operations at prolonged period of time. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to travel and see different countries and places and meet many other soldiers, languages, cultures and people around the globe. The sense of purpose to serve a young democratic country and building a new inclusive nation is challenging but the thrill of accomplishment far outweigh the effort.

Pros

Best medical care system in the country and housing allowance.

Cons

Long hours, danger and travelling.

Working day is normal as other even thou you encoumter scenario where you to apply vision

Normal working Hours but remember security You are 24/7 alert. There is lot to learn things like...your body getting used to function underpressure and contain with out breaking up,secondly being to live together with No fight but there argument. Top rated management with good working ethics.I wish everyone would love to have test of its culture where by to learn different cultural nd they behaiuot.Also how we do things always in group we dnt work in imdividuals I I wish all members will love to taste the

Discipline is part of soldiers lay low and be vigilant you

Management skills Time management is essentialal as we are disciplined Team member and leadership is part of soldiers Sport and fiscal fitness is our hobby

Deoends on work zones

Boring if you have a specific qualification but under utilised Can be enjoyable if Commanders were to interact both military and modern management skills. Commanders tend to stick to old military impraticatable management strategy.

Great job security

Because you work for the government job security is great. And depending on the directorate you're working for you can be deployed or get to travel to different cities or countries.

Pros

Traveling trips

Cons

Top management can be really hard to work with.

Not what it used to be

The SANDF is not an employer to be proud of.The lack of professionalism and discipline saw the SANDF declining. The salary and career advancement in the SANDF became unreliable and nepotism is the order of the day.

Pros

Cons

Unsatisfactory

Development and good career path

Am currently working as a junior safety officer under the supervision of the unit safety Officer. I have learned a lot with regard occupational health and safety and management skills.

Pros

Good insentives

Cons

Flexible hours

An excellent work place

At the end of the day you know that what you are is doing is for a great course. I learned the importance of discipline, hard work, hygiene, punctuality, integrity and humanity. The SANDF management is one of the best I have come across. Workplace culture is a very Vibrant and wonderful work culture with a lot professionalism. The hardest part of the job is the fact that you have to be away from loved ones for a very long time. The most enjoyable part is knowing that you are involved in something bigger than yourself.

Misplaced

I am currently working for SANDF, I still don't understand why we got so misplaced like this in this department. I am one of people who are holding degrees but we utilised to open gates.I see this as a waste of education and it really hurts.

Effective and professionalism

Effective and professionalism. My work place is based on discipline. Respect is mutual. We have the culture that is there to be followed by everyone. The is no hardship on my side. The most enjoyable part is we value socializing. To make sure employees are fit mentally and physically

Pros

No free lunch, only for duty personel

Cons

Overtime are compensated

lots of experians

a typical day are 7 hours work, learning every day how the different departments are working and going on about problem solving at work , the management staff are always helpful, the hardest part of my work are are getting signal for my scanners to work. and the most enjoyable part at work are the peoples that i am working with.

Pros

free medical and pention

Cons

no family time

productivite and fun working place

I learned working as a team its fun and productive working as a group the management s good the hardest part of y job was having to sleep in the bush

Pros

free meals and accomodation

Cons

Its fun and exciting to be member of the organisation

Exceptionally, I started at junior level and climbed the ladder to management position. I was afforded opportunity to develop and career progression. The management is supportive and provide the necessary support for one to execute his/her tasks.

Pros

Medical Benefits

Oroductive

Excellent experience, good management and structure, culture, diversified and a very well organised department. Good for both personal and organisational development.

Budget contraints

Enjoyed every moment after 22 years service but had no promotional possibilities regardless of course qualification. Last 14 years at SA Special Forces learned a lot wrt Project Management, System Management, Commodity Management.

Pros

International Military Industry Exposure

Cons

Budget

Very challenging and fun to do.

I worked a s a medical personnel giving medical support to parachute training school. Coordinated rescue and some medical modules within a military enviroment. The lessons learned is that emergency medical setting is an enviroment that is unique to the enviroment ones find himself in. And it becomes more fun and there is growth in it whdn management understand and supports new development required to improve and compete worldwide. It is a very nice work to do in such a culture .

Pros

Appointsments

adventures

It was fun working for sandf learned to work with people a and explore other country countries like sudan,burundi.management was OK, left the force for greener pastures

Cons

24 hour on duty when deployed 8 to 4 in South africa

I find my work exciting and I learn something new everyday. My management team is very helpful and there is a sense of culture in the workplace. My management motivates me to learn what I can.

Hardest department to work for

I learned all administration duties as I was an intern they are very strict the management is very strict they work under codes of conduct to know the rules and regulation of the SANDF

Pros

working for the government

Cons

working under strict supervision

Demanding work place

The best thing about working for the SANDF is your medical benefits. Due to budget cuts we work in old buildings with minimum resources with which to do our work.

Administrative

A typical day at work is exhausting. Learned how to work with different cultures and people. Management is not always of high standard. My co-workers is intelligent people and is nice to work with. The hardest part of my job is to keep up with changes in every day to day tasks. The most enjoyable part of my job is to be part of a winning team who will put in 100% every day.

Pros

Relatively good job security

Cons

Not a very good award system

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SANDF. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• SANDF