Sandvik

Sandvik Employee Reviews in Boksburg, Gauteng

Look after their employees Very good salaries Send employees on training courses Time and stress management courses are prensented Mining Industry Zero Tolerance
Pros
Canteen
Cons
Restructuring
Monotonous and repetitious work Lack of up-skilling, however, the opportunity to grow one needs to make it possible by speaking out and persisting. I took with the communication tool and skill the understanding of how mining operates and that one needs to be disciplined to pursue growth and up-grading one.
Pros
50% medical aid contribution
Cons
flow of work does not slow down however, it get consistent
I worked at Sandvik for 31 years. It is a good company to work for and is an international company so prospects are vast. Their infastructure is excellent and marketing is fantastic and they are always investigating the market and improving on their products.
It is joyful to have a safe productive day at work. To learn new technology and experience new efficient designs on equipment. It is always a pleasure to have the support of management for assistance. Team work and skill transferring is a must. The hardest part to achieve your goals is to have spare parts and the correct equipment on site. The most enjoyable part is to achieve your goals on or before target dates within the budget range.
Busy all day Dealing with Different mining cultures Unclear management structure Friendly but cautious employees Unclear instructions from management None
Pros
Subsidised canteen
Cons
Getting instructions from everyone in management
As a creature of habit, I enjoyed the 'safe' environment Sandvik provided for me. I enjoyed working with helpful, friendly and easy-going co-workers from all nationalities and learned a lot from them and also from my Site Manager that was my immediate boss at the time. The hardest part of the job was feeling isolated from our head office and therefore not really part of the bigger organization. (We were situated 68kms away from head office in Boksburg on a mining site.) The most enjoyable part was knowing what is expected of me, accomplishing my goals every week and the amazing co-workers I was surrounded by every day.
Pros
Easy going, professional working environment, easy hours
Cons
If you work away from HQ, on site, it can get lonely
sandvik, i loved working there actually i miss working there,, when i first arrived at sandvik i got the warmth everyone was happy to have us,, we where given a training for the job, we where asked if we had any qualifications so to be used,, withing hours we where able to work on our own,,because of a proper training we got,,,my co-workers where super they where like my siblings,,my management was like a brother you can go and have a chat with anytime office was open to anyone who had ideas,,,thats where i used my ideas,,the most enjoyable part was when i was working alone,,,like in holidays and weekends,,,to show my superiors that i can manage alone,,the hardest part at work is when we had to sit and do nothing,,,if the was nothing to do
Pros
on a stork count
Cons
12 hours a day
First thing is to phone all my technicians to accumulate the previous day's issues. React on any of the customers requirements. Issue daily instructions and request feedback. Assist with new global workshop which needs to be up and running by the end of January. Request quotes from suppliers for forklifts,oil seprators, labour brokers for storeman, and spray painters. Handle warranty claims from customers. Plan delivery schedule of new machines and allocate different techs to machines. Request clocking history and monitor field service bakkies on Virgil tracker.Attend daily production meeting on re-build machine deliveries, Arrange transport for machines to be delivered to customers.Customer sign off meeting of new machines being delivered. Arrange accommodation for techs sleeping out who are working on different mine sites. Recearch and development on new products to be manufactured. Arrange training for technicians.
Pros
car allowanace, cellphone, medical, pension, work independantly
Cons
long hours, traveling
Every morning you get good morning from everyone, staring a day afresh leaving everything that happened yesterday. I have learned a lot in this company,the theory I got from college and puting it in a work place is so nice. Your collegues are very friendly they will always help you. Dealing with hard people who always disagree with what you say. Having to go home everyday having archieved your daily goal.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Only in month end