Sci-bono Discovery Centre

Sci-bono Discovery Centre Employee Reviews

South Africa17 reviews
4,0
It is very chalenging to work here but at the same time you need to understand that you are here to work.
In this company you need to be more focused and sharp minded most of the time. I believe I have grown more on that. No time for comfort zone, be arlet
4,0
A very conducive environment . It has been great experience working for Sci-bono, with friendly environment and good operational culture. ...........................................................................
SUPPLY CHAIN KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
My experience of Supply Chain began when l was a Stores Assistant, Project Assistant to Procurement Officer, the position l am currently holding with Umjindi Local Municipality. During the mentioned period l have been involved with administration of requisitions as well as processing purchase orders, out-sourcing quotations from suitable suppliers/service providers in line with procurement best practices. Expedite outstanding orders for delivery to ensure availability of goods or services. Conduct negotiations with suppliers to achieve a long lasting relationship. Assist internal customers (user departments) in the drafting of specifications and the overall Procurement Plan of the municipality, market research analysis. Evaluation of formal written quotations, whilst encouraging participation of SMME’s, BBBEE, PPPFA & PFMA companies through application of the relevant regulations and policies. Conduct briefing sessions of tenders. Monitor and manage supplier Data base system. Negotiations with vendors in-terms of long-term contracts. Drafting of SLA’s (Service Level Agreements) and monitor contract period of performance and also ensure compliance and adherence to GCC (General Conditions of contract) and SCC (Special Conditions of contract). Recording and safe-keeping of contracts. Expediting outstanding orders and ensuring suppliers adhere to the required quality and quantity based on the specification. Monitor budget expenditure to ensure adherence to policies. Compilation of monthly reports in a form of Procurement Audit Trail to ensure
 - more...
Pros
Free Wi-Fi
Cons
Inadequate salary
Great working environment
Such a nice working environment. Was great working with young people and exploring different careers. We also travelled to different schools within the Johannesburg region and it was such an awesome experience.
Pros
Great centre
4,0
plenty of career growth and individual development
my interactions with educators as an ict skills facilitator greatly enhanced my communication and interpersonal skills.My computer literacy skills also improved tremendously
Pros
transport allowance
Place of work
I learnt a great deal on work ethic, professionalism, and being organised and accountable for your own work and working with a team as well. The work space free and laid back and enough to help you relax as you go on about completing your day to day tasks and responsibilities.
Pros
Dynamic Team and beautiful workspace
productive and fun place
the place is very good but is run by cruel individual who dont wish good things for others. they don mind to set in a team meeting to find a way to fire you.
Pros
Cons
normal hours 8
5,0
A place to work for all !
The best science center in sub Sahara Africa with modern science discovery equipment and laboratories.

The working culture is second to none .The hardest part of the job is getting learners come to the center on time while the best part is the atmosphere .
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sci-bono Discovery Centre?
Fun
Well everyday was just a normal day with a lot of responsibitlites to take note off, fun place with good team players .

A good gear up for stress handling and environmentall change or Adjustment.
Pros
More free Food
Cons
Remote working
Fun workplace
Job was part time, very difficult to predict when the next assignment would come. Classes were not consistent hence very difficult to know and help learners
Pros
Salaries came on time
Cons
long distances
3,0
Productive, conducive working environment, policies put in major. Friendly staff, friendly-user tools of trade,day to day business, how to handle suppliers, buying and purchasing.
Productive working environment
We are currently busy with a project and I get to buys and productive everyday with tracking grid, assets retrieval and receiving. My managers have taught me to think out of the box and not always run to them for everything. I have the best team they are young,vibrant which keeps me grounded and motivated to do more that what is required of me.
The hardest part is dealing with Service providers as they all have different ways of doing things.

The most enjoyable part is helping with site visits and schools and launching schools,it feels good when you are part of history making.
4,0
Fun and creative science experience
• Assisted the laboratory technician in the Chemistry lab.
• Facilitated and presented the interactive workshops for school learners.

• Designed activities for Early Childhood Development (ECD) programme

• Volunteered in the school support outreach programme to teach mathematics and science.

• Communicated the science behind the centre exhibits to visitors of various age groups.
Pros
Learning and applying new skills
Cons
Flexible hours
4,0
Productive and the place to learn more
Productive and a good place to be with lots of training as IT grows everyday,Having Mentors who guides me on daily basis helped me a lot as I am able to work with or without supervision.I am able to work in groups by dividing tasks equally.Web development can be so hectic when we need to meet deadlines as we are given projects to finish on time although we are able to finish on time but the polish up time is also needed to make sure everything is in order and competent.
Pros
My family can come to the Centre and explore Science and Technology without paying
Cons
Long but Productive hours
Fun and flexable
Sci-Bono is a science center, with a responsibility of advocating for science education, encouraging the learning and teaching of science at schools and familiarizing the general public about the importance of science in our lives. my responsibility included welcoming visitors, explaining the science exhibits and their application of the related science concepts in real life, performing science shows.

I have mustered communication, presentation skills and customer service. The workforce is diverse, thus team work is critical. I have learned to be productive as part of the team and also to work well as an individual. The job is quite complex and it need one to think from their feet and be able to make individual decisions at some point.

The challenges will come when you are dealing with unruly groups, shortage of resources and tight time frames.
Pros
Advantage of meeting different people from diverse industries.
Cons
This is a casual position, thus salary is unpredictable and there is no job security.
Good working environment
It was my first day at a certain school, They had given me the classes to teach and one of the classes was an Afrikaans class. I could not teach because of the language and the learners were rowdy. I called the H.O.D. and he just showed his face and left without solving my problem. That was the hardest part of my job.
Pros
We were given refreshments and lunch most of the time we met at the office.
Cons
The periods for us were short, we should have been given more than 3 weeks per school.
Enjoyable
I enjoyed working with educators. I could handle educators frustrations and them fearing to use new technologies in education. I spent most of my time encouraging and motivating educators to try new ways of making learners want to learn and attend school. I had a fairly surppotive management. We frequently held meetings with my co-workers to plan and share more information. I have not find any part of my job being the hardest, instead i enjoyed when educators are motivted and wanted to learn more on how to intergrade ICT. I did not like it when we were not paid in time.
Pros
continous training offered to us.
Cons
not being paid in time