SMEC

SMEC Employee Reviews

I worked as a software developer being exposed to multiple web and mobile systems which gave me valuable experience as a developer. Management and colleagues are very helpful and supportive but there is not much growth for a developer as this is predominately an engineering environment. There were many staff social events like braais and drinks. No micro management and staff have the freedom to suggest new ideas. Salaries were above average.
Pros
Good management and culture
Cons
No flexi hours
When different places meet new people work in other areas must not have children because you work flixes hours an also work stand by so must be ready for every day
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours nite a. Day
it was really productive and gave me more expirience on the road industry, laboratory andconsulting. if i could be awarded another opotunity i would go back.
Pros
good expirince
Cons
money little
SMEC is an international consulting engineering company with various disciplines. There are lots of scope for advancement and study opportunities. It is a pleasure working for the company.
Our duties required a tremendous amount of travelling and at times we had to cope beyond normal working hours because of office problems in terms securing our sleeping hotels.
Pros
We had to eat anything accessible because we were mostly based in rural ares.
Cons
It's fun place to work at, I gained a lot of experience in this place in regards to roadsignage. My experience in this work place was wonderful my job basically was based on sign verification on th eastern cape region on SANRAL routes.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Salary is too minimal and no chances of it increasing are presented. The manager I was working under only communicated to me when he had complaints.
Pros
Free Friday breakfast
Cons
Less attention from management
It is agood company to work for . & I like my time here . Work has been interesting & I have learnt a lot about steel reinforcing & concrete . was sent on a course all about concrete & passed . Management good . To teach the younger engineers rail work . Never had any manager leaning over my shoulder to see if I did my job correctly . Am only totally trained perway person in the Johannesburg office
Pros
no free lunches, no special events
Cons
worked the hrs needed to complete each project on time