SMEC
4,0 out of 5 stars.

SMEC Employee Reviews

South Africa9 reviews

3,8Work-Life Balance

Growth is a definite but be prepared to work your b*tt Off

Typical day starts with meetings. There is a multitude of tasks one does such as engineering design, project management, compiling bid proposals, and managing people. Culture has evolved quite a bit in the past 3-4 years to be more inclusive. Overtime is standard but with no pay. Salaries are not competitive with other competitors.

Pros

Exposure to great projects and experiences

Cons

Long hours, unpaid overtime

Professional and High Performance Environment

I worked as a software developer being exposed to multiple web and mobile systems which gave me valuable experience as a developer. Management and colleagues are very helpful and supportive but there is not much growth for a developer as this is predominately an engineering environment. There were many staff social events like braais and drinks. No micro management and staff have the freedom to suggest new ideas. Salaries were above average.

Pros

Good management and culture

Cons

No flexi hours

Very fun

When different places meet new people work in other areas must not have children because you work flixes hours an also work stand by so must be ready for every day

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Long hours nite a. Day

it was really productive and gave me more expirience on the road industry, laboratory andconsulting. if i could be awarded another opotunity i would go back.

Pros

good expirince

Cons

money little

Smec

SMEC is an international consulting engineering company with various disciplines. There are lots of scope for advancement and study opportunities. It is a pleasure working for the company.

Great working environment

Our duties required a tremendous amount of travelling and at times we had to cope beyond normal working hours because of office problems in terms securing our sleeping hotels.

Pros

We had to eat anything accessible because we were mostly based in rural ares.

Productive fun workplace

It's fun place to work at, I gained a lot of experience in this place in regards to roadsignage. My experience in this work place was wonderful my job basically was based on sign verification on th eastern cape region on SANRAL routes.

Pros

Free coffee

Fun place to work at

Salary is too minimal and no chances of it increasing are presented. The manager I was working under only communicated to me when he had complaints.

Pros

Free Friday breakfast

Cons

Less attention from management

Was alearning curve for me to be RE on site as well as doing the quality control

It is agood company to work for . & I like my time here . Work has been interesting & I have learnt a lot about steel reinforcing & concrete . was sent on a course all about concrete & passed . Management good . To teach the younger engineers rail work . Never had any manager leaning over my shoulder to see if I did my job correctly . Am only totally trained perway person in the Johannesburg office

Pros

no free lunches, no special events

Cons

worked the hrs needed to complete each project on time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMEC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,8 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,4 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,1 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,5 out of 5 stars for Management
3,5 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • SMEC
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?