Smiggle UK

Smiggle UK Employee Reviews

4,0
Difficult job for lazy people. Must be hard working and motivated if you want to keep a job here. You must be helpful to others and willing to train others. It is not a difficult job other than becoming aware of wifi in certain areas and making sure you find a hotspot and not get frozen up on the hand held scanner. A good way to ensure that you can stay on top of your kpi of 200 picks per hour and staging of 200 units per hour. 18 parcels/boxes an hour on packing.
Pros
People, meeting people from around the world.
Cons
Not long enough breaks.
2,0
Actual store manager was good, but head office do not want to know and set impossible targets. They also use so much unnecessary plastic packaging in their deliveries and generally only offer small contracts.
Pros
Good student job
Cons
Head office show little respect for their staff
1,0
Starts off okay then quickly you realise...
No progression opportunity - they want to keep you where you are

No voice - no creative freedom or expression of opinion

Too many operational tasks and not enough time for admin or actual managerial tasks

Feel like a glorified Sales Assistant

Expectations vs Reality is a joke

Bonuses and Incentives completely out of reach and unrealistic

No respect for long standing tenure

Regional Mangers clueless about business and how each store work

No respect for wellbeing,you can work without a day off for weeks
4,0
I loved my job at Smiggle as it was a great first job for a sixteen year old but they only offer four hour contracts which means that making money isnt the easiest unless its september or december.
4,0
Was a enjoyable place to be I only left to follow my passion working in the outdoors industry, staff were always friendly and helped whenever was struggling.

Highly recommend
5,0
Really good experience for practicing customer service. Professional working culture and enables employees to learn more about marketing and aspects of sales.
Pros
friendly staff
3,0
If you want a job where you’re working on your own 80% of the time, asked to constantly VM change & get penalised when people steal BECAUSE YOURE ALWAYS ALONE, then this is the job for you! Constantly saving hours so you’re loan trading a lot, I used to have someone with me for 3 hours of an 9.5 hour day, an hour of that was my dinner. So getting tasks done was near impossible, cause you had to grab stuff from the back & couldnt most of the time. Not the mention MOST STORES DONT HAVE A KITCHEN OR THEIR OWN TOILET!! You have to use the centres, all about money saving.
1,0
Regional manager was dreadful power hungry who looked down on anyone who didn’t embrace her vegan tree hugging values in life and criticised me just for wearing makeup
5,0
I find working at Smiggle enjoyable, the staff are all incredibly lovely. There is a nice culture of learning, you don't have to worry about not knowing something or doing something wrong because management are always willing to help you in some way. There is regular tracking and Performance Reviews which make improving and advancing easier. As long as you love talking to people, and you don't mind a fast paced, detail oriented environment, Smiggle is an easy place to work. The management can often work around schedules quite easily as long as you tell them with some advance notice, so that's a definite positive.
Pros
Staff Discount, Good Rotas, Lovely Environment
Cons
None really!
1,0
Worst 3 years of my life, instore teams were lovely and I loved the customers and could do the job well. But was constantly badgered on days off from regional manager and barely got days off. Minimal support when short staffed often lone trading all day. Awful company spent too much on expanding too quickly and now are paying for it. Mark up was extortionate on poor quality products which often were returned or exchanged. I would never go back or suggest anyone to work here. After 3 years of management I didn’t even get a thank you on my last day. Appalling.
4,0
A fast pace work environment that never leaves you standing in one place. A company where growth is encouraged. Working is Smiggle can be rewarding yet difficult at times.
5,0
Smiggle holds a special place in my heart as it was my first job as a sales advisor, I moved up to become a person-in-charge (supervisor) which I loved every minute of with my kind and supportive team. This role taught me so much about retail and visual merchandising and I am so thankful that my fantastic manager saw potential in me. There are lots of opportunities to work your way up in this company and to cover for different stores which allows you to get a flavour of how things are done with different teams! I really miss the fun times I had working at Smiggle!
4,0
I’ve been working as management for Smiggle for a year now and I couldn’t list any better job decision I could’ve made! My team & other teams around the region are so Friendly & Bubbly! , Progression is available always for people that want to grow and develop within our company. Smiggle is all about FUNky and Fun stuff so if your not that kind of person to like that, then the company wouldn’t be right for you.
4,0
I was only a Christmas temp but it was a great experience overall. You'd go in and be given a zone to patrol/ maintain for the shift. it was quite easy-going even when it was busy.
5,0
During my time at Smiggle I never had a boring shift and it was never too much for me to handle. The staff were lovely and I picked up product and store knowledge within two or three shifts. Customers were rarely impatient with me and I had an overall lovely time.
1,0
I could write an entire novel on how awful this company is to work for, and probably make more money than I get working for them! From working well above your contracted hours with little to no reward (40+ hrs a week despite only being a PIC contracted at 16hrs) and being laughed at/ridiculed should you point this out, to the blatant disrespect and rudeness from head office who treat you like actual trash, spy on you to make sure you're doing your job properly yet always manage to find fault with anything you do because all they care about is making money and opening stores. It's not worth a foot in the door, especially as you're selling overpriced, poor quality stationery to rich, rude and aggressive customers who are always right- they could stab you in the chest and you'd still have to apologise and give them a gift card for the grief.

Perhaps the only positive is the team in that store, everyone is super lovely and supportive of each other (mainly because you're all in the same boat of being treated like trash)

Seriously. This is the worst job. Not worth a second of your time. Theres no smiles and giggles here at Smigghell
2,0
They were very unorganised with the roster only coming out a day before that week would begin and shift changes were only allowed if it was an emergency. The co workers were amazing and hardworking but we weren't allowed to talk to each other even to help each other out.
Talking to customers is a must, you have to be ok with approaching the same customer multiple times to push products on them or you will be given out too. The management will constantly let you know if you're hitting your sales targets or not doing good enough and foster competitiveness between employees.

Unless you're doing delivery or it's very busy at the till the work can be very slow paced with not much to do except approach customers.

Pay is minimum wage and often not worth it.

They do offer job progressions if you work with them for more than a year and if the management you're working with is friendly it can be lots of fun.
Pros
Short shifts, they provide the uniform, discounts
Cons
Management, the aggressive pushing of products and competitiveness of sales between colleagues
1,0
DO NOT WORK AT SMIGGLE. I lasted 2 years and hated getting out of bed just to go there and be ignored, belittled and verbally abused. If they can get away with not paying you, they'll do it. I can't remember the number of times my pay was short, always by £100 at least.
The regional managers and visual merchandisers are the reason the company is in such a mess due to their lack of organisation and communication- then they have the nerve to look at you with sympathy and say "oh yes this company's not very good" and then they'll berate you for not keeping up.

Once when I was in work just after I'd had a death in the family, my VM asked how I was and when I told her why I wouldn't be at my best that day, she just said "oh that's not ideal" and kept tapping away on her phone without even looking at me.

When I made a suggestion about how to stack some items on the shelf it was branded as pointless but when the managers from head office were in they did it themselves and passed it off as their idea. They were there to help us organise our stockroom- all they did was put some bottles on shelves and then go off for a 2 hour lunch whilst complaining that they didn't get enough money on their company cards. They left their snack wrappings and rubbish strewn across the stockroom floor.

These people will only play ball with you if they like you. Professional procedure is ignored in favour of who is willing to brown nose them and suck up to them and throw in with their clique.

On top of all this, you are expected to smile and welcome in the customers- rude, self-important
 - more...
Pros
relationship with sales assistants
Cons
everything
1,0
Literally sucks all the joy and happiness out of you. Workload is set by people who have no idea how long things take to get done, leaving you with an impossible workload. For your mental well-being please don't work here.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Cant take holidays from mid november-mid january or half term/bank holidays, Impossible workload that you need to prove youve done by sending pictures, You end up staying back/coming in early to get jobs done, Have to constantly bother customers which is awkward for everyone, Understaffed and have to lone trade, Constantly cutting hours to the point you physically cant get stuff done.
5,0
This job is very non-stop, You are always doing something and most of the time you are very busy. I love this job as you are constantly moving about all day and kept busy. All staff that I have worked with are lovely and amazing. The customers are always lovely as well.
1,0
Working at Smiggle starts out as a promising exciting experience. It’s all a lie, the incentives are not real. The staff have a huge turnover, as everyone leaves due to a poor working environment. Higher Management (area managers etc) are awful. They expect a lot of work in a short space of time with no experience or help given. NO TRAINING. I was a supervisor, I had no training to be a manager and when they fired my manager I was expected to run shop for 3 months, I had no choice. You are expected to work on your days off regardless of any plans you have made. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiggle UK. Our community is ready to answer.
3,1