SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS

SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS Employee Reviews

A very competitive company you work for. Employees are very enthusiastic and very welcoming. There is a divers culture and team work is essential in order for one to become a member of the family

Pros

Two tea breaks

Cons

One hour lunch

Excellent company and very diverse

Travelling was a pleasure,perks were wonderful, work ethics were wonderful.Had fun working with diverse cultures and interacting with different characters

productive and fun work place

a typical day at SAA is generally very interactive with internal and external meetings. Then you suddenly receive a call from your manager at head office who requires a report/data of some sort that is due yesterday, (lack of planning) as usual.The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting with my corporate and government clients on a daily basis and building strong relationships.

Pros

Flexible hours, international trips.

Cons

working over public holidays and while you on annual leave.

Exciting company to work for

The incentives given was out of this world, the overall experience was great though I have no idea if the company will be as exciting to work for under new management.

Pros

Allowance

Cons

Long hours and also working on public holidays weekends

Too formal management needs to be flexible amd innovative.

It was great corporate experience adherence to international aviation law takes massive effort from all departments. The employees are friendly,the staff is very experienced and the company prioritize's training to uphold current relevant industry information to perform optimally.

Pros

Rebated standby flights.

Cons

No guaranteed flight when using rebate.

SAA it is a great company , I wish it could open very soon so that we could work again , the experience of 22 years can't go unnoticed , I wish it could go back to the marke5 where it belongs and compete at it best and wingback the customers confident ,it belongs in the sky

Pros

Bring own much and specified time allowed

Cons

Work extra hours at operational level if needed

Furn workspace ,

U must be able to know your priorities in life good time keeper , good team worker and have good listening skills . Be able to work under pressure .

Pros

Seeing the world

Cons

Long hours, be away from home alot

Very Productive

Working at South African Airways was an opportunity for me to observe Aviation environment skills and experience gained gave me confidence good company

Cons

Fun but stressful shift sometimes

This is the great company to work for and they pay not less than R10K for their entry level position,You get house allowance and R2500 shift allowance,12 flight tickets to anywhere in the world and 4 business class tickets.Your partner and your kids also get the same flight tickets benefits minimum of 3 kids.They have a wellness support system .There is an employee clinic to help you when you are sick and don't have money to visit your private doctor.You have an opportunity to assist famous people from across the world and interact with them almost every day.They have a great culture that accomodate everyone and you will never be fired instead you will fire yourself.It is stressful when flights are delayed or cancelled.I remember one of the days when a Hong Kong flight was cancelled due to a technical reasons,I started my shift at 1pm and was supposed to knock off when the flight depart at 8pm but I ended up leaving at 3am the next day but the good news is that ,that was an was overtime for me and we were given a day off afterwards.I still wish to work this great Airline.There is also growth if you have good qualifications.This is like home away from home but they also check your performance on monthly basis so if you're lazy you will be given warnings and the next thing you will be on a disciplinary hearing with HR. you also need to up your game as they are very strict when it comes to time since there is a shift meeting every day 15 minutes before we start working and you need to be or else you marked as late for work and that will affect your kpi's.

Pros

Start 4:45am and 11am u are going home

Cons

Long unplanned hours due to flight cancellations or delays

Fun and different every day

Customers of different backgrounds, culture and class. Reasons for travel also important,as it gives u an idea how that prefer there device. Safety comes first all the time,and service is what they pay for so give it like u the customer.

Pros

Free lunches and drinks, sightseeing, travel

Cons

Long hours salary could have been better

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS?

Fast paced and enjoyable!

From my time at South African Airways, it has always been pleasant. Fun and meeting people from all over the world with n every aspect of work at this amazing national carrier!

Pros

Competitive salary

Cons

Shift work

Productive and enjoyed the environment

Worked hard early morning late nights to try and get on time performance. Enjoyed being a ramp agent. Learnt a lot and each day was a different day in that you always learnt something new.

Pros

Training on different department aviation; avoiding accidents, keep current in training requirements.

Cons

Corruption from the top.

Competitive environment

The staff are amazing we worked well together as a team when we where faces with delayed /technical flights long ques and irate passengers youve got to have a passion for the airline industry and comes with lots of sacrifices .

Just another job now

I left SAA in March 2000. Then it was a succesfull and flourishing business. Unfortunately lately it seems that all has changed for the worts. SAA was the benchmark of all international travel when I joined Now I hope they will survive....

Pros

Aeroplane food leftovers

Cons

Long hours and challenging customers.

A typical day at work would be when there's delays. I learned how to work with other people, different diversity more especially how to treat a custom

All I can say is I LOVED MY COMPANY AND MY WORK!!! I enjoyed working with customers and their different personalities, attitudes and culture because i learned a lot from them. The hardest part was delivering bad news to customers, like delays.

Excited

The work is amazing, fast paced and exciting. Everyday you get something new happening, in terms of new instructions. Dealing with the global market. Aviation sector has so many layers

Pros

Global market, dynamic, fast paced

Cons

Politics

Excellent work environment

I have gained extensive experience within the industry. I am able to work as a team member or on my own. It's been an awesome journey. 🙏🙏🙏🙏 I am blessed to work with spending

Pros

Excellent work environment

Cons

Poor customer ssd

Loved working for saa

South African airways is a wonderful airline to work for, it taught me a lot about customer care and customer focus, how to go an extra mile to make cudtomers happy, it taught me how to be a team player and the importance of being on time, all the time

Pros

Workbwith different people and travel to the different places

Cons

You not always at home

Great Company

Great Company to work for , great benefits, great people, great work environment and work culture. people always willing and able to assist. the work hours was great worked shifts, means more time to yourself and time to study,very flexible with the kids. traveled and got to see the world.

Working with the company has brought a better world of understanding in the travel and tourism industry.the company has been best African airline.

It is world class company that is driven with an African image. Working with good team players with a drive to exceed customer satisfaction. Friendly people with good smiles at all times.

fast paced sometime stressfull and yet fun most of the time

great place to work at , you meet different cultures , its extremely fast paced as everything circle around minutes , sad part though is that favoritism is very much real . other than that , it teaches us discipline , customer services , working in a group as well as alone ,

Pros

good salary

Cons

no real growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?