SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS

SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS Management reviews

Clear

Exciting company to work for

The incentives given was out of this world, the overall experience was great though I have no idea if the company will be as exciting to work for under new management.

Pros

Allowance

Cons

Long hours and also working on public holidays weekends

The questions was relevant

SAA is a very good company to work for , however their senior management i can not say the same ...Lot of unfairness , nepotism is a practice . People are not being promoted by their skills but due to favouritism.

fun working environment

I was very exciting to work here. the experience I have got here was very amazing, if only our jobs could have been saved by hard working executives in the company.

Pros

very good

making travel plans and holidays of customers memorable

time management we work with urgency and time. patience Teamwork and support from management very diverse difficult customer travel the world

Enjoyable but stressful

A typical day at work will consist of clearing the Q for bookings that need to be confirmed and endorsed. Making sure all the staff are present and if not, checking to see what work they are holding for the day or that needs to be "worked" on. Going through emails and taking calls/making calls when necessary. Corresponding with revenue management for confirmation of bookings, inserting fares into the bookings. I have an awesome team of 7 staff, we get along well and have been together for 20 years. we work together as team and a lot of support is given whether it be work or personal. we have an amazing relationship with the agents/clients, we try and assist agents with securing the business for SAA (a lot of liaising internally). The hardest part of the job is getting clients to travel on SAA when there are so many airlines competing out there. Managing the leave and sick leave and filling in where possible. The best park of the job is definitely building relationships with the agents.

Pros

Consessions for staff, SAA offers a pension and pays portion of medical aid

Cons

Cannot work flexi hours - travel agents only workiing from 9-17h00

Great airline to work for

Great people and airline to work for, management leaves a lot to be desired. Due to the above reason (management) I am currently looking at other opportunities.

Productive and an amazing world environment

SAA wow, working there was like a dream. I love traveling so working there was a dream come true. Beautiful stuff to work with very professional management. I was happy to work there 😊

Pros

Travelling allowance

Cons

Highly challenging; Senior colleagues, peers and junior staff kept me on my toes. Customers insisted on high service standards they required

A typical day at SAA is to expect a different type of challenge daily. Some of the external issues in aviation exposes one to new dimensions on what you thought you knew. Management demanded high standards of each other and never ready to professionally engage on issues.Hardest part of the the job was lack of cooperation from other stations at times particularly where there is a third party representing the company. One enjoyed challenges and the ability to rise above them

Great airline

The best airline to work for on the African continent. Saw the world and was offered the opportunity to travel extensively. Management are cadres, placed by government.

Pros

Medical aid, rebated travel

Cons

i enjoyed working it gave me many oportunities

.everyday these challenge. .worked under pressure, .time management, problem solving. .they accommodated all culture . when its quiet . when its busy

Pros

staff price tickets when fly

Cons

rebates tickets we were not confirmed

On a path to Turnaround

This company fulfills a very important developmental mandate for SA. In he same way that British Airways do for the UK. It has until recently been ranked the best airline in the continent and the 4th best with customer service. The challenge has however been in ability to appoint internationally experienced aviation experts which is an important factor to compete internationally as well as to assist with the development of own internal industry related capabilities.

Pros

Very supportive and positive environment for hard working and committed employees

Cons

Can get a bit political and sometimes not commercially minde. However, with the introduction of the new Board of Directors and a new CEO, that appears to have been resolved.

Exciting and challenging as everyday is something different

Resuming for duty everyday at work excites me.I have a great passion for executing my daily tasks and responsibilities. My job description overall is tracking and tracing missing or mishandled shipment for South African Airways and to find a resolve quick and efficient for client satisfaction.As part of the investigation process i have learned to always proceed methodically cover all bases with speed and determination.The assistance of our management team plays a vital part for a positive outcome with all related queries.Our management team is always ready to assist, guide and advise. Our work place culture at SAA Cargo Cape Town International is always with the same goal in mind excellent customer service delivery,moving the shipment safely and intact from point A to point B. The assistance of relevant role players when solving a query internal and third party comes with its own challenges and that is one of the hardest parts of the job. Being part of a vibrant team who thrives on always rendering an excellent standard of customer service makes that the most enjoyable part of my job.

Pros

All the amazing benefits, travelling rebates

productive

Good working relationship.management are doing their best.salary and working hours are well with the one tha government agreed with.madical aid they have which is good for benefits.

Pros

good working place

Cons

8hours a day

productive & fun

Start working early in morning very busy,i have learn discipline on time management SAA has a lot of managers on the ground to make sure operations runs smoothly,we have good cultural diversity serving people is our main culture,the very hardest part of the job is when there is a flight delayed or cancelled,the most enjoyable part of the job is when you help or give passengers good service and they compliment you,and when they write back an email of compliment

Pros

discounted ticket for you & your family & friends

Cons

shifts, delays, long hours sometimes

fun place to work at, with flexible working schedule.

working for the airline was enjoyable and very interesting based on the different people that you met on the daily. the scheduled shift work really worked well with my time as I was either in on the morning shift and out of work early, or I was in on the late shift and out late, therefore never getting caught in traffic. a typical day at work would be getting to work and all flights were on time with no delays. whereas the most difficult day would be filled with delays and really unhappy customers. We did however have very helpful management and team leaders always willing to help. The perks though were the most enjoyable part of the job, I have travelled to over 20 destinations on my discounted tickets all over the world including locally in South Africa, where I am from.

Pros

discounted flight tickets for staff

Cons

shift work

good benefits

fast paced, friendly coworkers, hard to get into the business. helpful staff, not much advancement. good benefits, lots of travelling. management great

Diverse learning enviroment

*Attending to customer's needs and high safety alert *Learned the importance of effective communication *There was a very supportive management system *Experienced a culture of teamwork and accountability *Less resting hours at the destinations but acclimatization was possible. *Providing service to the customers was the most enjoyable

Pros

Seeing most parts of the world

Cons

Less resting hours at destinations

Excellent diversity

I was a ground hostess at first enjoying the interaction with the different nationalities of people. I love interaction with people of all cultures and ethnic groups, it is so stimulating. Boarding planes and helping unaccompanied minors and special treatment patients was on the agenda for the day. I learned that there's a big world out there with wonderful opportunities for every person. Management was very strict as expected working with people. You have to be, people can be complex. We were a large team working as one for the benefit of the company, keeping every passenger happy. Hardest part of the job is when a passenger is not happy, some people just can't be happy. The most enjoyable part is when you interact with all these different people getting to know more about their cultures and their countries. I always found this highly fascinating.

Pros

Getting to know the world on your doorstep

Cons

Plains that don't reach their destination

fun working place

Its an up and coming company, that still need to grow. We still looking for clients but we have the best staff and well to take the company up. Our CEO have more than one company and she never closes doors for you to learn about other company.

Pros

no free lunch

knowledgeble

*Day to day customer interaction *Understanding customer needs and wants and regulating them to the best possible way *Not too much interaction exists with management and lower level employees *Dealing with angry customer especially when the is a vast barrier in the language we speak *Getting to learn the different cultures and traditions that exists in the world and the ability to deal with all kinds on nations worldwide

Pros

shift hours

Cons

motivation and equal oppotunities for growth

I started working at SAA as a contract worker, but was afforded the same opportunities to attend the courses offered to employees, I became permanent and within a few years got an opportunity to act in a supervisor position which gave me valuable experience for growth in my career.

Pros

junior staff could sit in, on certain management meetings

Cons

had to train interns regularly as most of staff were interns

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS