SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL DEFENCE FORCE

South Africa106 reviews

Clear
3,7Work-Life Balance
3,8Job Security & Advancement

Very discipline and very advance company to work for with a variety of career choices and goals to choose from

A very cultural and social life and well balanced lifestyle company to work for. The variety of career choices that are presented in the company with the your future and growth in mind.

Pros

Excellent salary benefits

Cons

N/a

Excellent

Fair enough, the question are based on the job that i was doing. I will recommend job seekers to join the South African National Defence Force and their culture is professional

Only for the tough

Well discipline environment with great exposure to those traveling enthusiasts and alot of opportunities to educate oneself about marine life and defence in general

Life In Navy

The Navy taught me how to be independent and to adapt to new environment

All is well...

All I can say is that I enjoyed my time in the SANDF, this is the best company ever that one can ever work for and the leadership, control is very good

Promotion is a huge problem

I worked for 17 years and got R640 000 pension, now my salary is almost that amount per year. I was a corpral for years and did my promotional courses in 2014 to be a Sergeant but resigned without getting promoted.

Good experiance

I started my career in the deference force and it was a very wonderful environment to start building from the beginning with good discipline and norms that we were drilled into us. I've learned a great deal with them and that gave me a good foundation to build on.

Pros

Free boarding and lodging

Military Environment

The military with all their challenges experienced, is still a good environment to work for. One must want to work in such an environment. You are basically born a soldier. If not, you would find it difficult to adapt to the environment. It is not a "nine-to-five" job. It is a lifestyle.

Pros

Structure

Cons

Discipline

Good

It good place of working environment. There is a lot of challenges that I like about the environment. Everyone is give an opportunity to advance knowledge and skill.

exhausting

It is really haerd to be promoted or grow within. the possibilty of reaching you full potential are like three too ten. the organisation is more influnced by politricks.

Very disciplined

Good to work at when starting a career amd love the outdoors. Salary is also good. And you get to travel a lot all over the country. Medical aid is included.

Pros

Boarding facilities

Cons

Hard to get promoted

Gaining knowledge and being proudly south african soldier

Lack of transformation played a role to disadvantage most people in the defence force. Have time to read n develop your career further. Have ability to share with people what's gud nand bad thats happen to see you going forward.

Cons

Shifts

Was good working there

There was good working there and there was few good benefits, it was going to be cotractual work.that means u are not sure about job security. That was a challenge.

Pros

Meals were free and was of high standard

Cons

Working hours were normal

it is nothing permanent

only if we can be employed permanent.. i would have leant a lot , and working condition is perfect staff and manangement understands each other,the only hard part is that it not permanent

Pros

transport paid for

Cons

reserverd

Was an extraordinary experience

It was a great experience , worked with a lot of different people with different expertise. Learned a lot of hands on knowledge adding to my theoretical and practical knowledge obtained during studies. Learned to value the importance of hard work and communication skills.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Bad in logistics

Very productive and a great place to learn about yourself, gain discipline and trust. Its good to be of great soldiering skills and using skills to defend the country through interception

Organisation has job security

It's a good organisation, that offers opportunities to the underprivileged. I gained work experience and learned about myself and other people.

It is a very disciplined work environment. The opportunity is there for any one that is willing to learn. You learn skills.

It is a difficult work environment for those that do not have self discipline. It is possible for those that work hard to excel. You meet new people on a daily basis.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Red tape and politcs

Skills will be provided to people but promotion is slow

Skills will be provided to people but promotion is slow and salary is very low. Management will support you to a certain level but once the source starts bringing wortless information they start hittig hard on me. The hardest part of my work is when i have to go meet the source in his country of origin, because i hope i will come back home alive. I enjoy getting to know information that other people in the contry do not know about and being involved in secret operations that not even the saps can detect.

Structured and organised workplace

The SANDF is a very structured and organised organisation. A typical day will consist of a meeting in the morning to discuss the daily activities as well as other important information. I learned to apply interpersonal communication skills as I was sometimes required to address the group of individuals. I further had to apply my analytic abilities when faced with problems and challenges. My computer skills and abilities assisted me to effectively and professionally compile documents and presentations for the Officer Commanding. I am currently employed as an industrial psychologist intern where my daily routine consists of a meeting in the morning where the daily activities are discussed followed by either training or a specific project. Our internship program covers, among others, the following topics: a. Career counselling. b. Job profiling. c. Team building. d. Selection. e. Psychometric. f. Organisational development. g. Training. h. Conflict management. By the end of our training we will have been accredited on a number of psychometric instruments as well. My co-workers are qualified in the same field of study and so are our supervisors. All members are registered at the Health Professions Council of South Africa in their respective categories. I currently enjoy the nature of my work and do not find any part of it to be hard, however a challenge that I foresee is that there might be limited growth opportunities.

Pros

Fixed work hours

Cons

Extensive traveling

Being a Military Practitioner has been an Eye opener for me and has given me a lot of opportunities to learn and develop my individual skills

My Typical day at wor I performed Office management as well as training, attend staff meetings as well as attending mettings with the other role players in the security sector. I've learnt some organisational management skills as well as leadership skills. On management, I have been given opportunities to manage the careers of my subordinates as well as to see to their well being. The hardest part of the job is not getting promotions even if you have qualified your self to a higher post .i.e. do all your promotional course with succes but not be consudered for promotions The most enjoyable part of the Job is to be exposed to other role players, deployments for Rear Area Protection, Border Control as well as deployments on Peace Support Operations to countries that are having conflicts and instability.

Pros

Developing yourself by attending Courses

Cons

lack of promotional opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL DEFENCE FORCE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,7 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance