SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL DEFENCE FORCE

Clear
3,7Work-Life Balance
3,5Management

Dedicated and courageous

Discipline, commitment, leadership and brothers for life and you get the best medical care and treatment. All employees are paid what is due to them and even the work environment is relaxed and productive

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Deployment

Procurement

I enjoyed working at the SANDF. I have learnt a lot about computer work, didn't know anything when I joined. The management was superb, knew how to run the base and keep the soldiers motivated. We as a unit took many awards. I have been on many courses such as 1. Procurement 2. Stores 3. Weapons and Ammunition 4. Urban Warfare. I have been given many opportunities to expand myself as a leader. I have no regrets joining the SANDF

It is very boring at work, commanders are abusive and aggressive, there are no challenges

This is one stressful and boring job ever.... Salary is low and expectations are very high, your time is demanded but no appreciation.....Uniform is wearing out and the needs of employees are not really considered.

You need to be physically strong to survive in the Defence force

Working for the sandf has taught me alot, especially when it comes to youre fellow colleagues. You have to respect each and every person and dont take anyone for granted.

Pros

You get to see the world

Cons

You not sure when youll see youre family at home

Proffessional and Well Skilling work environment-

It is a great work environmment, very educational,well equiping in terms of skills and training...One gets trained in leadership,time management,how to be a team player, to cope underpressure, to work independently,diligently,coordination and organising

Pros

Studying

Cons

poor payment

productive working environment

i have iquired a wide range of skills in the military ,starting with time management,working as a team and making decisions in a short unforseen circumstance for the success of the organization.

Pros

no free lunch

Cons

24 hours

very hectic environment

The job is not friendly not to mention the environment. The management is weak. co-workers were fine. the hardest part of the job is spending time in the bush.

Pros

free louch

Cons

lon hours

Exciting and Challenging

A normal work day in the army is very routine with parades in the morning. When presenting course it will mean you will be doing lots of theory work and then weeks of practical work. This is fun as you get a good balance of your work. Each course I presented was different and was never the same so things keep changing and you were always looking for new ideas to train your students. Army has a good management structure and teaches you different ways to communicate and lines of management. On a daily base you are dealing with different people and respect is one of the main structures in the army. Working at a training institute means that you are working long hours at a time and can also be away from home for long periods of time. You never no where you going to next. Satisfaction in seen your students pass there course and later seen them using what you have taught in an operational enviroment.

Pros

Good Routine

Cons

Poor salary

Skills will be provided to people but promotion is slow

Skills will be provided to people but promotion is slow and salary is very low. Management will support you to a certain level but once the source starts bringing wortless information they start hittig hard on me. The hardest part of my work is when i have to go meet the source in his country of origin, because i hope i will come back home alive. I enjoy getting to know information that other people in the contry do not know about and being involved in secret operations that not even the saps can detect.

Structured and organised workplace

The SANDF is a very structured and organised organisation. A typical day will consist of a meeting in the morning to discuss the daily activities as well as other important information. I learned to apply interpersonal communication skills as I was sometimes required to address the group of individuals. I further had to apply my analytic abilities when faced with problems and challenges. My computer skills and abilities assisted me to effectively and professionally compile documents and presentations for the Officer Commanding. I am currently employed as an industrial psychologist intern where my daily routine consists of a meeting in the morning where the daily activities are discussed followed by either training or a specific project. Our internship program covers, among others, the following topics: a. Career counselling. b. Job profiling. c. Team building. d. Selection. e. Psychometric. f. Organisational development. g. Training. h. Conflict management. By the end of our training we will have been accredited on a number of psychometric instruments as well. My co-workers are qualified in the same field of study and so are our supervisors. All members are registered at the Health Professions Council of South Africa in their respective categories. I currently enjoy the nature of my work and do not find any part of it to be hard, however a challenge that I foresee is that there might be limited growth opportunities.

Pros

Fixed work hours

Cons

Extensive traveling

Being a Military Practitioner has been an Eye opener for me and has given me a lot of opportunities to learn and develop my individual skills

My Typical day at wor I performed Office management as well as training, attend staff meetings as well as attending mettings with the other role players in the security sector. I've learnt some organisational management skills as well as leadership skills. On management, I have been given opportunities to manage the careers of my subordinates as well as to see to their well being. The hardest part of the job is not getting promotions even if you have qualified your self to a higher post .i.e. do all your promotional course with succes but not be consudered for promotions The most enjoyable part of the Job is to be exposed to other role players, deployments for Rear Area Protection, Border Control as well as deployments on Peace Support Operations to countries that are having conflicts and instability.

Pros

Developing yourself by attending Courses

Cons

lack of promotional opportunities

productive,challenging and enjoyable work place

Everyday there is new work that is challenging and needs hands to push the work. I have learned that in order to beat work you need to be disclipined and know that time to play is in my own time afrer hours. The management is good even though sometimes we are pushed by our officer commanding to do more files that keeps us at work until late.My co-workers we are very close and help each other when needed. the harderst parrt is reporting to duty and opening early in the morning and closing after everyone is gone. The enjoyable part is that when an enjoyable part is that we sometimes get presents on our birthday from the individual contribution

Pros

early depart day off in friday

Cons

lot of work that sometimes makes youtired.

The SANDF is a challenging career opportunity for every citizen

Each day you reported for duty and started to coordinate your daily routine. The field of learning is immense, personnel, intelligence, operations, logistics, finance and management skills. Your relations with your co-workers is based on a rank structure consisting of commissioned and non-commissioned officers who respect each others appointment and seniority. The hardest part was if you work under pressure without the necessary resources, but it was most enjoyable to gain success under difficult conditions. The camaraderie among each other can hardly be find so effective as within the SANDF.

Pros

Job security, free medical, uniform and training.

Cons

Long periods from home due to training and operational duties.

productivity of my work and effectiveness

My current working place has an organised culture that we follow , in fact the Defence Force, as a whole have one culture though, we are divided in many arms of service, namely air force navy army and the south African military health service . we have the same Goal the same vision, ''to protect our country and its people" . We know the country depend on us for their safety and security that is up to standard. We serve with honour dignity pride and courage. Like any other working place there are people with more years of experience, and know the tack-ticks we learn through them on how the work is done. The management is up to standard, very well organised and accommodate all employers.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Long hours or over times we normaly have them.

Fun workplace

It is good to have a daily routine and over and above tasks at work and it always fun. At this work place we learn everyday and it is critical that we do not restrict ourselves from learning. The management of our organization is top notch / level of professionalism is very high, level of discipline is of a highest standard and they work according to the book. The hardest part of this job is when one is deployed to a war zone because you don't know whether you will come back alive or not. The are many benefits that comes with this job such as study opportunities on state costs, medical aid and many more.

Pros

Free education

Cons

Long hours (if necessary)

challenging place to work at

on a busy day we deal with administration of members on deployment. on day to day we work with leaves and telephone account and all the inquiries members need to know. i have learned a lot about the SANDF as a whole, especially the medical side of the force, what is it that it takes to give support to the other arms of services. management is not as strong as it should be but in time it will work out. my co-workers are hard working individuals who love what they do, i have learned a lot from them too. The hardest part of the job is having to answer for a task that i was not responsible for and also other members doing a task that is meant to be completed by you and another person takes over, What i enjoy most about my job is the people i work with and being able to execute the task i am giving with pride and always keeping my customers happy

Disciplined workplace

A typical day at work is full of surprises and no one day is the same I have learned how to be disciplined, respect others and to appreciate each person in life The management team is good and supportive My colleagues, supervisors and sub-ordinates are good people and well respected The hardest part of the job is to keep everyone satisfied each day end explaining policies to people who just don't want to accept it It is very much enjoyed to see your colleagues each day and to form part of their life's and to assist members with their challenges

Pros

The opportunities that is given to people to develop their skills and knowledge

Cons

The aspect to rejoin the Defence Force permanently

productivity and work atmosphere

Its always a great day in the SANDF, cool people who will always guide you to do the right. The Management is always there for a backup. The typical day is when you have to cover the deadlines when doing a stock take, so that we can comply the stocktake certificate. so far the SANDF is the most broad Organisation with a lot to learn every day.

Pros

Benefits are always there, But its a non profit organisation

Cons

Its work time in sandf

Very challenging job

My day always start with a coordinating meeting for the tasks of the day. My team's job is to provide administrative support to the SA Army Engineers Headquarters; This support is in the form of human resources, logistics, communications, hosp[itality and the overall management of the entire unit maintenance services. I have to keep up beat with everybody's activities in their individual environments in order to be in a better decision making position. The most difficult part is when there are more requirements to be satisfied, and there are not enough funds, and when there are grievances to be addressed from the different sections. The most enjoyable part is when my team and I sit after every month to evaluate our performance for that month and realise that we have achieved most of our objectives, when our clients send letters of appreciation.

Pros

45 minutes of physical training two times a week

Cons

Very satisfying work place, good benefits and job satisfaction.

Training off Non-commisioned officers and Sub Lt to be incorporated into the SANDF. Learned allot about people and asset management, training was a big part of everyday work life, had wonderful co-workers with a passion for life and training.

Pros

pension fund, 30days leave per annum, free uniform, danger pay during operation deploying.

there are some productive days and when there is time for fun we play

Preparation of our mobile interception unit. learned to spy. sometimes management mind their own cases. friendly and co-operative. sometimes we operate in dangerous areas. listen to other departments convesations without their knowledge and we are travelling between provnces.

Pros

there is no free lunch

Cons

i used to work long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL DEFENCE FORCE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,7 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,5 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,8 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,5 out of 5 stars for Management
4,0 out of 5 stars for Culture
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?