SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL DEFENCE FORCE

South Africa106 reviews

Clear
3,7Work-Life Balance
3,5Pay & Benefits

Very discipline and very advance company to work for with a variety of career choices and goals to choose from

A very cultural and social life and well balanced lifestyle company to work for. The variety of career choices that are presented in the company with the your future and growth in mind.

Pros

Excellent salary benefits

Cons

N/a

What you learn is useful to be used in life generally.Once you adjust to learn how to be discipline, everything situation will be easier to do and assist in coping with most challenges.

Pros

Travelling and discipline

Cons

Less family life and low salary

Good

Sandf is a great place to work in for me because I am more about hard work, and discipline, self control and respect, but it is not a place to stay for a long period of time because defense is not a job but it is a lifestyle

Benefits

Cons

You may remain in one rank for more than 16 years

It is very boring at work, commanders are abusive and aggressive, there are no challenges

This is one stressful and boring job ever.... Salary is low and expectations are very high, your time is demanded but no appreciation.....Uniform is wearing out and the needs of employees are not really considered.

Good team work and loyalty.

The S.A.N.D.F. gave me work in 2002 when I was still a young man they brought me up and taught me to respect one another no matter your race,culture,fender or sexual orientation. It taught me how to respect people and also how to earn the respect of others. I am very gratefull for the opportunities I was given.

Pros

Almost free medical, housing, travell allowance to pay for food and accomodation.

Cons

Long hour shifts and little money for working weekends.

Promotion is a huge problem

I worked for 17 years and got R640 000 pension, now my salary is almost that amount per year. I was a corpral for years and did my promotional courses in 2014 to be a Sergeant but resigned without getting promoted.

typical day

travel on bus to work (45 min) roll call and basic admin tea time (20 mins) specific tasks or meetings lunch (45 mins - 1 hour) fitness routine (personal or unit) roll call

Pros

Free medical. Good benefits. Overtime opportunities.

Cons

Long hours due to travelling

good working place

Funny place where u find urself meeting diffrent people and culture and also expriencing lots of things in a form of touring going places in the wrld

Pros

free meal

Cons

normal hours

Fun and lots of travels

A day at work is fun and i have learned a lot at sea when we had various breakdowns . I have been managing the Marine engineering department since 2014 after i got my onboard qualifications. The hardest part of the job is that you have to avail yourself for unplanned deployments at short notice. The most enjoyable part of my current job is travelling the world.

Pros

Cheap accommodation and affordable medicals

Cons

Weekend 24 hours duties

Hard work

They push you beyond your limits. No sleep! They do not allow you to go home as much! Your movement is limited! The military is a way of life! Don't go there if you not a person used to structure

Pros

Free accommodation

Very disciplined

Good to work at when starting a career amd love the outdoors. Salary is also good. And you get to travel a lot all over the country. Medical aid is included.

Pros

Boarding facilities

Cons

Hard to get promoted

Productive fun working place working with new people everyday meeting them

Punctuality at work that's first and always be at the right place right time with the right equipment for the day. Having fun while working. Hardest part of a job is not getting anything right that you have been allocated to do

Pros

Free Lunch

Great adventure

I have traveled a lot in the Navy, Seen and expirenced great cultures of the world, learned to be a better human being and a motivated worker serving my country. Learned to be descipline, take orders and instruction execute them with precision. Learned cleanliness and most of all how to stay health conscious. Best place in the world but growth is minimal.

Benefits

Cons

None for me

Was good working there

There was good working there and there was few good benefits, it was going to be cotractual work.that means u are not sure about job security. That was a challenge.

Pros

Meals were free and was of high standard

Cons

Working hours were normal

security and protection

it was nice and I lean lot of things in that company and our manager was also good also the culture is full supported and the hardest part is training

Pros

free accomdation

Cons

longhours

enjoyable

there is a learning program to improve our capabilities you can even study part time while working, you need to stay feet physically and mentally cause cause most time any time is tea time

Pros

we eat

Cons

work normal hours

My experience in the SANDF taught me to balance several tasks at once and bring willingness to work irregular hours even under extreme massive pressure.

Pros

Free medical treatments

Cons

Willing to work under pressure and am not area bound i can be deployed any where any time without any hesitation or doubts

Working for the south Africa national defence force it's quite an wonderful experience that one should like to experience in future.it feels good to protect your country at all times

Pros

Free lunch

productive working environment

i have iquired a wide range of skills in the military ,starting with time management,working as a team and making decisions in a short unforseen circumstance for the success of the organization.

Pros

no free lunch

Cons

24 hours

Productive work place

My field of work requires long working hours and physical as well as mental work. I sometimes work hard labour. A typical day at work would be testing communication with other countries, standing guard duty and doing physical training. I learnt to be more flexible towards your working conditions and what is required of you. My co-workers and I work very well, there is a lot of team spirit and team building exercises. the hardest part of the job would be having to do 3 duties all in one day, it strains one sometimes. The most enjoyable part of the job would be doing tactical operations and working at the mess.

Pros

free accomodation and food

Exciting and Challenging

A normal work day in the army is very routine with parades in the morning. When presenting course it will mean you will be doing lots of theory work and then weeks of practical work. This is fun as you get a good balance of your work. Each course I presented was different and was never the same so things keep changing and you were always looking for new ideas to train your students. Army has a good management structure and teaches you different ways to communicate and lines of management. On a daily base you are dealing with different people and respect is one of the main structures in the army. Working at a training institute means that you are working long hours at a time and can also be away from home for long periods of time. You never no where you going to next. Satisfaction in seen your students pass there course and later seen them using what you have taught in an operational enviroment.

Pros

Good Routine

Cons

Poor salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL DEFENCE FORCE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,7 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,5 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,8 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,5 out of 5 stars for Management
4,0 out of 5 stars for Culture
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?