South African National Parks

South African National Parks Employee Reviews

South Africa29 reviews
4,0
The workplace culture and people makes the organisation for what it is. There are great people to learn from everywhere. It has its challenges as does every workplace.
5,0
A typical day at work is when I collect and interpret both admin Financial and Human Resources, capture invoices, do quotation inquiries, deal with Supply Chain Management issues. Attend HR inquiries en administrative duties.
4,0
 Standby/Part-time staff member for Veterinary and Wildlife Services Skukuza Kruger National Park
 Game capture and game camp maintenance-TB Free Buffalo Breeding Project

 Vehicle operations

 Aerial surveying

 Game transport

 Tractor, truck, machinery and implement maintenance and repairs

 Educational and Conservation awareness efforts and project management

 Tourist patrols

 Staff training

 Public Relations-visitor centre management
4,0
If a vacancy is advertised, they would normally firs look for the best suitable candidate within the orginization before employing someone from the external orginizations.
Pros
Free Holidays
Cons
Micro management
5,0
Very good work environment. good place to work at and grow. team work is great and senior management is also good. i would work there again in future.
3,0
State Owned Institutions in South Africa are supposed to be independent.
In 2002, that copany encouraged innovation and now reduced to a govt red tape organization as a result of poor leadership
Pros
Free Holidays
Cons
Poor leadership / CEO
5,0
SANParks offers great experience in law enforcement, administration, environmental education and maintenance in both the marine and terrestrial environment.

I work with experienced field rangers and environmental monitors. We always work in peace with my colleagues but obviously there are a few differences when it comes to work but it never escalates into a fight. We resolve issues without involving the management.

I enjoy doing research in the species of special concern. The hardest I have faced so far is doing fence maintenance on tough terrains (mountainous areas) under extremely hot/cold conditions.
Pros
Broad experience about the Karoo plants
Cons
Very isolated. The nearest town in 110km away
4,0
I work with Suppliers most of the time, so it sometimes gets to a point where you have to explain the procedures to be followed, but the supplier will just want to do things they way they want as quick as possible.
4,0
The job was demanding and straining.It needed ones full attention as one had to work with numbers mostly and it was a quiet a challenging job for Data Capturing and Administration
Pros
Free Get aways for the employee and 9 people
Cons
Lacks employee orientation
4,0
Learning at all time, experiencing new things and egger to learn new things as fast as possible. Know management structure and organisational culture on how things are done, mission and objective of the organisation. General Safety and surrounding. Equity policy and transformation policy, current performance and historical statistics, balance score card and performance management system.
Pros
Cons
Some time work over time or on standby
2,0
working 8hrs
working with clients and teamwork

work independently

study bursary for employees

every-time to consult before taking decision

work outing
Pros
Free accommodations
Cons
hard 8 hours
5,0
A typical day at work involves procuring of assets, tendering, HR procuring and booking of flights for committee members, budget monitoring & management.
Pros
self management and time management skills
4,0
It's undoubtedly a growth allowing work place. I have learned to be calm when working under-pressure. Meeting deadlines in time is now my daily bread.
Pros
A few Rands extra.
Cons
Over time
2,0
Good place to work if your interested in conservation of our natural resources.Great training opportunities and career development is excellent. Work long hours.
Pros
free hikes
Cons
very long hours
5,0
The working environment was good, everyday was a lesson, full of challenges and everyday learning. I learned a lot about conservation of natural resource and how individuals there are willing to an extra mile to protect and conserve our natural beauty. The management of SANPark is absolutely committed and willing to satisfy the needs of both its employees, communities and the environment. The was not hard or difficult because if a person loves what he/she is doing cannot find difficulty in the working environment. I enjoyed mostly being out in the field, being hands-on with the natural environment of the Kruger National Park.
3,0
It is a good work place, productive with supportng body structure. Work collegues are also good they can take caare of one another. I enjoy working a lopt with clients and being at reception. As I have arrived here I learned a lot in how to balance work and your personal life.
Pros
Nature experience
Cons
Working on weekends.
5,0
Working on raw production based on a target in a saw mills to make planks to contributed it to make school desk we also dry the wet planks with a kiln
Pros
Free lunches
4,0
SANParks have Conducive environment, clear policies and procedures. Management has Supported, empowered, give staff exposure. Salaries were very low .
Pros
Encourage to grow
Cons
Staff well being is the priority
3,0
Gained a lot of experience especially coming with the financial degree it helped me to gain experience and learn a lot in a business world.
Pros
functions invitations
Cons
leave days not essetial
3,0
Being employed as a temporary worker for 13 years without benefits, is concerning as temporary employees leave with nothing. I've obtained many skills and have had great responsibilty ensuring all revenue is received, allocated and spent according budget specifications.
Pros
Cons
No room for development and higher education
3,0
Every working day was different with different challenges. There was always problems which required speedy and effective solutions. Lesson learned is to always remember to breath and tackle the problems one at a time. Management support was absolute requirement for the success of the project could not have done it without them. Co workers was a blast to work with.
Hardest part of the job was also the human factor, the employees, you can not satisfied or make every one happy because difficult and tough decision needed to be made and implemented. Enjoyable part was to see the project coming to a reality.
Pros
Had the opportunity to travel around South Africa
Cons
Stressfull long hours