South African Police Service

Bloemfontein, Free State32 reviews

3,5Work-Life Balance

Found 32 reviews matching the searchSee all 1 548 reviews

Very challenging and stressful

There are insufficient funds and resources.Lack of expertise in many fields.Nepotism is the order of the day.The manpower at the institution is extremely low and does not meet the needs of the communities.

Fun also stressful times

This career need a calling because sometimes it's too challenging and very risky. You need to be there because of love for the job not just for employment.

I learned a lot and had such great mentor

I had an amazing experience at Saps I learned so much and I never thought I would get such a great experience. It was very challenging especially during audits however my Mentor was always teaching me everything I needed to know. The audit team I was working with was the best ever, we worked well as a team and they definitely welcomed me and treated as part of the team

Pros

Traveling

Cons

We had to work in shifts due to Covid

A very unique, challenging,the busiest and the biggest Police station in FS

For me as a commander a typical day at work was always the same.In that it was very busy on a daily basis. I learned a lot of things, to be able to control my temper,to comply and complain later, gain more skiil on self and other people management, problem solving skill improved, improved decision making, improved on communication skill, discipline and self discipline and learned to have a thick skin. The Police management is one of the best in the public service. In the Police,time management, discipline,service delivery and performance are the culture. The hardest part of my job was that as Detective Commander I had very little time for myself or for my family. I enjoyed competing with other big detective branches in terms of the performance.

My review is that I need to do the job which I studied for

I hope that if I can be taught and or given a necessary training for job I will be able to perform that particular job because I'm fast learner. Another point is that in SAPS some of members are not promoted for no reason, it means that there's unfair labour practice and as a result it demoralises members of the organisation.Therefore I need to develop as an employee by looking for other opportunities

Excellent working environment you learn more than enough

Saps allows an opportunity to grow because the work exposure is up to standard and you gain a lot of experience and knowledge regarding particular departments within the saps

Industrious and amusing workplace

I am currently employed by South African Police Service in the Provincial Labour Relations under Provincial Human Resource Utilization Component as a Labour Relations Officer (Grievance Officer) holding the rank of a Senior Personnel Officer; I am attached to Provincial Office in Free State province. As a Senior Personnel Officer I am in supervisory (Chairperson of Junior Management Core) position and required from time to time to conduct grievance procedure, conflict disputes management and disciplinary cases whenever requested/appointed by senior management. Furthermore I normally represent employees as employee representative during disciplinary hearings as Para-Legal (Chairperson Shop steward) at Police and Prison Civil rights Union. I have the following qualifications: Project Management Higher Certificate, Skills Development Facilitation Certificate, Cost and Accounting Management, Communication Management; Entrepreneurship and Business Management Certificate NQF 5 in Financial Management Diploma, Anti- Corruption Training for Practitioners, Business Writing Skills, Office Administration and Human Resource Management. I also have (11 years) eleven years’ experience and competence were I worked for South African Police Service in various positions.

Fun working place

In terms of Employment Equity standards, being a SA Colored Female, my career in the SAPS has become a dead end street. The environment is actually great to work at. Unless you do serious mischief chances of being dismissed or fired are very slim. We work on a Performance Management tool, whereby your performance will depend on you getting a incentive of 1% at the end of a financial year.

Pros

Relaxed working environment

Cons

No or limited promotions

Job discription is clear for every member and it is interesting to work within the ambit of the law.

The enviroment at SAPS is good. Many who left have returned and some still want to return. There is room for development and employer offers courses to develop employees. Stay away if you have criminal mind and intentions because you will be imprisoned. Only be there for the love of your country and fellow Citizens. Be there to serve the people and love the job.

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

Employees perform their work deligently with excellence

It's a very great department to work for as there are opportunities for development and growth especially for women, this department Excell in client service and other services they offer compared to other South African govermnent departments

Average Company

SAPS is on a downward spiral, with corruption being so rife and the state of our country's Moral Fiber in such a terrible state; the moral of officers is under par and it is evident on the performance of SAPS at National level. They pay good money for entry level posts, but promotions and growth are not guaranteed based on performance. This company could use a revamp, needs quality entry level police officers who are driven and are really willing to make a difference in serving the nation.

Pros

8 hours a day, Pension Benefits, Medical Aid benefit, Car Allowances for Senior Officers.

Cons

Lack of Growth in the Police, Lack of Integrity of members in the police, Lack of respect on Police by the nation, Constitution protects criminals more than Police

Working as management was very productive especially if you are in a inspection and control role. Learned that experience accumulated through the years served me well and was expressed by the Independent Auditor SA which was very satisfying. The most hardest part was the fact that you do not get promoted very easily due to equity preferences

Benefits

Cons

Promotions

Everyday you save a life and change the life of a person

the most complicated part of the job is the stringent laws that have been become very tolerant. A typical day at work is you trying to secure the safety of yourself and of others with the exception being members of the public refuse to let go even if it endangers lives but the most enjoyable part of the job is that you effect change and improve the lives of people with every decision you make. Day in and day out you advice and not everyone heeds the advice and you learn that no matter how hard you try, some circumstances are inevitable which deeply hurts. The management part of the job is miracles are expected with limited resources

Pros

you work for the government

Cons

dangerous conditions and unreasonable pay given the dangers involved

Never get promoted in 14 years

Its dufficult to get promoted to next rank now a days so you dont get the chance to climb the ladder. Ive been working 14 years still on constable rank.

Pros

Medical aid

Administration

The company culture is very positive and encouraging. You feel at home in the company which is very education orientated and appropriate time is allocated to training

Productive and stressful

I work office hours and when I am needed to work during the weekend and extra hours I do avail myself. Punctuality is very important at work and we should meet the deadlines at all times. I take orders from my commanders and respect and neatness is also very important in our police culture. I am fulfilled if I can assist one person in a day because sometimes we are challenged by other factors outside our workplace and find it hard to complete your job successfully. I have grown and gained experience in the 10 years service that I have spent in the service.

interesting and need passion

It is an interesting job where you meet different people ,different characters and different cultures and it make s it easy for an individual to interact with the community and also to protect,serve give security to the members of the republic including their properties.To protect the dignity of every human being.

Pros

free lunches when on official trips

Cons

overtime and special duties

Management was very good, learning I have learn to take pride on my duty and the hardest part was we were always working under pressure. The most enjoyable part our supervisor could notice the pressure that we were working under and give us some time off. Culture, learn something on daily basis.

Very interesting at Saps and enjoying working but i wish to be at new atmosphere.

Assist community with their cases and testifying in Court as well as apposing bails in court. Dockets administration and obtaining witnesses statements. Apprehension of suspects.Tracing of wanted suspects. Giving feedback to complaints on daily basis.

Pros

no lunches if busy

productive

If the management at provincial levels can refrain from nepotism and favouritism and corrupt appointment and change the management style,most female senior managers are unprogressive and unproductive.

Pros

Transporting and housing/ accomodation for members

Cons

stress management for members

Very productive workplace

You must have the love and passion for this work, then you'll excel in your career. You must be a team player and have the heart for the people in order to be able to take care of your community and country.

Pros

Honesty

Cons

Work pressure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South African Police Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Based on 1 548 reviews