South African Police Service

Detective75 reviews
South Africa75 reviews

3,5Work-Life Balance

Found 75 reviews matching the searchSee all 1 550 reviews

Need to be an active player with both colleague's and your clients. Build a relationship of trust.

Develop a sense of understanding the responsibility you have towards your community. That i have been entrusted with authority to protect those who can't protect themselves.

Productive and rewarding

Very good and offer of job security . discipline is applied and required.Disciplinary regulations are clear and are applied Fairly.The are opportunities for growth and for reward when working overtime.The are institutional courses offered so one can excell in the specific job environment be it administration, detective or vispol. Reasonable working hours.

Is very challenging and interesting

Is challenging when coming to safety but is interesting and giving joy after helping someone.when you heard people commending your hard work it feels so good.

Pros

If attending meetings you get free tea

Cons

Eight hours unless it's special duties

Very productive and challenging.

Need someone who Is willing to serve and protect citizens. And work under pressure. The organization always provides training and development skills for members.

Good

It has excellent professional services and batho Pele principles adhered to and staff treated with respect and dignity. Since that purpose was to combat crime and investigation.

Experience

It was a great experience and wouldn't mind going back to join the service.I left the service due to some family venture not because of stress or any harm.There are few things that need to be changed in the service example(mentoring of the young newly Saps members when joining)

A very unique, challenging,the busiest and the biggest Police station in FS

For me as a commander a typical day at work was always the same.In that it was very busy on a daily basis. I learned a lot of things, to be able to control my temper,to comply and complain later, gain more skiil on self and other people management, problem solving skill improved, improved decision making, improved on communication skill, discipline and self discipline and learned to have a thick skin. The Police management is one of the best in the public service. In the Police,time management, discipline,service delivery and performance are the culture. The hardest part of my job was that as Detective Commander I had very little time for myself or for my family. I enjoyed competing with other big detective branches in terms of the performance.

Court driven cases. Arrests

Day to day was fast paste. I got use to the fast paste which became my driving force and was excited to get to work. Everyday is a challenge as you need to be alert and positive all the time.

if you are passionate about your work

its a great place to be if you like working under pressure and doing Little of problem solving handling high profile fragile cases and one get to travel around the country.

I can recommend this job

Ok working under lot of pressure and being able to meet the dead lines it wasn't easy at all at times One had to go attend the crime scenes and work under the severe conditions

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at South African Police Service?

first experience

At first,i was happy to be in the team of detective unit,going to crime scene,going to courts,learning new rules and how to handle suspects,it was great working at SAPS

No progress

There is no room for progess in the service you stay in one rank for too long . If there are promotions they do not check from inside who has which qualification and promote from inside intead they hire from outside which is demotivating members from further studying.

Work conditions at SAPS

Stressful, exiting, unfair labour practice, no promotion, no credit for hard work, internal politics is a real problem, back stabbing, long hours. It can be rewarding, but internal and external politics make it very difficult to get fair promotion and credit. Racial discrimination is an underlying problem, although it will be denied. Unfortunately the SAPS is not a wise career choice.

productive workplace

⦁ Investigating all cases where a crime was committed and completing a police docket. ⦁ Implement crime scene management and gather comprehensive and complete evidence at the scene of crime. ⦁ Gather information and provide quality docket administration and flow. ⦁ Ensure successful detection, arrests and convictions. ⦁ Apprehend and charge all suspects- to lessen outstanding suspects ⦁ To ensure a fully investigated case docket ready for trial. ⦁ I created a complete information base via an informer’s network to effectively solve cases. ⦁ My main goal as an investigator is to get good sentences on a court case.

Excellent

It was a pleasure working for the South African police service. The South African police service is a professional service and the largest law enforcement agency in South Africa. The experience I gained whilst in the employment of the South African police service is of great value.

very stressfull work place but also had a fun part to it

Was a very hard and difficult environment to adjust to in the beginning ,the work load was alot and the expectation was not negotiable but was only the best expected,it is a very stressful environment but also has a fun part to it It is definitely not meant for the faint hearted.I must say that it is a stable job to have ,if i say stable i mean u have benefits and a guaranteed salary each end of the month.The only thing that is very disappointing is the disciplinary regulations that was implemented in 2017 called the expeditious process.Senior staff also don't stand up for their members but only think of themselves and how to safe themselfs and that so sad.

Work there is good.

Management is good and support structure good but resources need to be improved e.g provide investigators with state owned cellphones and free airtym and subsidies vehicles for all investigators.

Very educational

being a police officer is not an easy task. Working for a community wthat sometimes despises you is not always good. having to encourage persons to do rigth and not wrong is also very challenging. m,aking arrests are very rewarding though.

Pros

Shifts

Cons

Dangerous

A very challenging job

I joined the South African Police for one reason only. To serve my community. I have been doing this for over 26 years. I have learnt a great deal about humankind.

Pros

you are able to meet all sorts of people

Investigate crimes

Locate suspect and bring them before court. Investigate crimes like Assault, Robbery, Housebreaking and Theft, Reckless and Negligent Driving, House and business Robbery,Fraud, Attempted Murder and Murder.

Pros

Investigation officer

very challenging job

nineteen years of very challenging job where I learned many things. learned more about investigation of crime, attended several courses. Attended courts of law and convicted many criminals.

Pros

state firearm for self protection

Cons

dangerous job at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South African Police Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Based on 1 550 reviews

3,5 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,1 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,7 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,3 out of 5 stars for Management
3,5 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • South African Police Service
  • Detective
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?