South African Police Service

Clear
3,5Work-Life Balance
3,1Pay & Benefits

Found 11 reviews matching the searchSee all 1 540 reviews

very stressfull work place but also had a fun part to it

Was a very hard and difficult environment to adjust to in the beginning ,the work load was alot and the expectation was not negotiable but was only the best expected,it is a very stressful environment but also has a fun part to it It is definitely not meant for the faint hearted.I must say that it is a stable job to have ,if i say stable i mean u have benefits and a guaranteed salary each end of the month.The only thing that is very disappointing is the disciplinary regulations that was implemented in 2017 called the expeditious process.Senior staff also don't stand up for their members but only think of themselves and how to safe themselfs and that so sad.

Challenging yet fulfilling

Challenging yet fulfilling. The work carried out does not match salary paid. Career advancement is very poor even though there are many opportunities to explore various departments.

Pros

Learning of South African Justice System

Cons

Poor Management

I work at provincial level so i am tasked with high profile matters.

It is a stable job, it has its pros and cons. There is room for progress however it takes a long duration. My duties are intense and dangerous. It can be stressful aswell.

Pros

Work at my own pace.

Cons

Stressful and dangerous job

Low salaries meant much debt by members and this affected their productivity however it is an exiting career to be in as a detective full of action.

The SAP was a great place to work especially in my division of being a detective. Each day and each case is different and even though some scenes are traumatising I was allowed to express my investigative abilities to the fullest. The low salaries paid by the SAP lead to a very low moral amongst members and many members would do as little as possible. The SAP offered great benefits such as Polmed medical aid, housing allowance, promotion availability depending on studies completed. All costs of successfully completing a Policing qualification was reimbursed. The ability to pre pay the studies hampered many members from being able to study for promotion. In this occupation you meet people of all walks of life and this I enjoyed being a people person. My Christian faith also enabled me to council families experiencing a loss. I missed the SAP when I left but the salary was not sufficient to sustain a family.

Pros

Medical, housing allowance, transport whilst on duty, promotion availability, study time off for exams.

Cons

Shift working, low salaries, unappreciated by sociaty

great Adrenalin rush

During my police career one of the worst benefits was the poor salary's we were paid for the type of work we did. During my later part in the police we were denied promotions and it became clear that their was no future for me in the Saps

Pros

off days

Cons

poor salary, no promotions

SAPS was a great place to work. excellent job security

Worked till i dropped all hours of the day. Trust nobody. We got the job done as a team. At the time dangerous in Soweto but because of the job we did the public looked after us.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Long hours for not so good salary

Good and Honest work

It was difficult at times because you were not able to get any recognition for getting a court case done for example but had the satisfaction of knowing at the end of the day that you made the area a safer place for people

Pros

Benifits

Not fun workplace

Working long hours with no benefits (e.g. 12 hours shift) with little or no allowance. Poor management and my co-workers are good to work with. A lot of stuff in investigation of crime and my day at work is always challenging. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you learn new things everyday.

hard worker and comitted

I can go extra miles by working after hours and working during the weekend, i also visit my clients anytime if they need me

Intense working environment working with all walks of life.

My career in the Police spanned over 14 years at 3 different branches from Unit 19 (Counter insurgency Unit) Crime Prevention (under cover unit) and Lastly defective branch. Main objectives were to ensure peace and stability and the rule of law on which ever missions, incidents or cases i was working on. Learning to understand people and trusting in your self your training and coworkers. I have become very independent and task orientated regardless of the proliferall influences or distractions. Hardest part of this job was to deal with serious crimes and scenes where children and innocents were involved. Helping people in daily encounters on the job was very satisfying to me.

Pros

Long term employment and good benefits.

Cons

Long hours and very low compensation

Review

productive and serious working place.one should devote his time to be successful in this service,management is very strict,my fellow workers are very hands on and fun to work with

Pros

no exact time for lunch

Cons

extra hours