South African Police Service

Clear
3.7Job Security & Advancement

Found 313 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,503 reviews

Promotion oppertunities

worked and promotions were rare .Had qualifications but they looked at demographics of country and not province to promote . Privilage was given to Xhosa speaking because so called disadvantaged group.

Productive and fun place to work at

It is a nice place to work at, the only thing that will keep you growing at SAPS is to keep studying for a at least one qualification. And always look after yourself, most of all don't do corruption.

It is a progressive environment

It's a challenging progressive work environment, I grew my expertise and It challenged me to work hard to serve the community with respect and dignity

Pros

The employer pays half of your medical aid

Productive rating is poor

Members stay more than ten years to qualify for a promotions.Working in the Saps its a great opportunity but its only management level who are reluctant to motivate members who have passion.

Demoralizing workspace

Not good for first time job seekers and educated people particularly for admin work It suits police only and their relatives.I don’t think there’s more to talk about an area that gave you grief other than the best experience a work space could give you

Pros

Better than sitting at home and jobless

Cons

Long unpaid strainous hours

Stressful and no support

The management don't care about your safety and well-being. Always equipment problems and not enough members for backup. Almost all radio equipment are faulty and vehicles always problematic at stations. People outside and criminals don't care about you and the same with management in the police. Promotion are years to come and theirs always no money for police promotions. The statistics are being edited so that the community don't see what is going on.

Pros

Medical aid

Cons

No management support and poor work environment.

Educational and productive

It was good ,exciting a good platform to take on your career , it has got all the tools even the environment is friendly ,mostly you gain because there were also courses offered to develop yourself.

Pros

Never get bored

Cons

Long hours and no public holiday

The company was productive

I have gained more experience by working at Saps. My purpose was to gain experimental learning. My mentors taught me very well and after I have completed my internship I knew what was required of me

Pros

We use to bring our own lunch and buy our own sugar and teabags

Cons

We use to work 8hours a day

Lots of life experience

The best time of my life. Experience gave me a new outlook in life. Made good and trusted friends. Made a man out of me. Help and advice was always available. Good training

Pros

Teamwork

Cons

Salary

It is nice to work for saps as a cleaner/handyman on cleaner sallery level 2 for 9 years but .. they where it comes by promotion it never happens

it's always fun at work. I learned in the police you can't trust anyone.Management should be more strict.The hardest part of my job is that I must always do the person's work that started a few months ago , and I'm nine years in this service .Best part of my job is that I always get a compliment that I did the job very good. Workplace culture we are like a family.

Cons

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at South African Police Service?

Stagnant and stressful workplace

A very big organization,with a rank structure independent of whether you are qualified for a certain job or not. Promotions are rare because of the high volume of employees on each level and hence no growth. Once you get in to the force is not easy to get out, not sure if other companies or departments do not prefer people from the SAPS or what. In service training/course not recognized anywhere besides in the police. Compliance is enforced, no freedom of choice allowed.

Great place to get experience for future positions at other law enforcement agencies

SAPS is a great employer. Good medical aid benefits & Pension fund benefits. Individual vision must be in line with SAPS vision otherwise it will not be a nice place for you.

Pros

You get bursaries for self empowerment.

Cons

You get too attached to the SAPS

Excellent job satisfaction. Internal growth. Excellent benifits. Team work.

I worked 23 years at the SA police service.The internal growth system is excellent and very good salary and benefits.It's a exciting career where you can have multiple career opportunities. It's a very good team culture.

Pros

Great benefits medical

Very informative and polite environment

Working for the SAPS helped me gain much confidence in my field as a Communication intern. I know now that am ready to take on the space. Am grateful.

Pros

Exposure

Cons

Working on weekends

Productive workplace

Excellent working environment, welcoming and you end up building a family bond with the colleagues.Awesome job security, moderate job incentives and fun!

Pros

No work during weekends.

Cons

No closing during festive season

Fun workplace

It is fun as you experience new things and stressful at times when you for example need some resources and you don't get recognized because of your rank

Pros

More time off

Cons

Promotions

Start up job

- stressful dealing with the community and its problems - education isn’t recognized only service get one promotion - secured job - copy and paste work

Pros

No retrenchment

Cons

Climbing the rank structure is hard. People who know people in high position survive.

Work experience.

A lot of corrupted police officers that must be get rid of. I liked the benefits and job security. Detectives are over worked with case load. Need more members to do all the work the ratio of members to public is not enough.

Pros

Work security

Cons

Corrupted members

Know what you want in any organisation

As long as one focuses on their job, give it all, willing to learn, give credit also to commanders because they apreciates it a lot and all in all stay in your lane.

Pros

Room for growth as long as you become permanent

Cons

Growth is slow, needs patience

A very productive place

All candidates are given enough training to advance. This is the environment whereby you will be trained well enough until you are declared and expert in your area of analysis. You must be competent as you are expected to give expert testimony in the court of law. The only challenge with the environment is that there many employees at the entry level which makes it difficult to grow or progress to the next level . there is no growth

Great company to work for have no comment for it

The company is under pay if they seriously want corruption to stop they need to check it. They should not let a person be in one position for so long 12 years is to long, they should review every 7 years members performance and then level up to next rank.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South African Police Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• South African Police Service
  • Job Security & Advancement
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?