South African Police Service

South African Police Service Management reviews

Clear

Found 475 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,503 reviews

productive

people will want to certify without original documents. I have learned how the SAPS operates. the management in most cases is not fair to other employees. the culture's very diverse. the hardest part was dealing with the prisoners when you give them food and cosmetics on a daily basis. the most enjoyable part was gaining experience and making family out of the colleagues that I worked with.

A typical day at work was never the same as the day before. I learned how to work with people and problem solving and management was supportive to an extent. The culture was different as I worked with people of colour. The hardest part of the job was relaying messages of a loved one that has passed on. The most enjoyable part. Catching a criminal.

Pros

13th cheque

Cons

Public dissatisfaction.

Productive rating is poor

Members stay more than ten years to qualify for a promotions.Working in the Saps its a great opportunity but its only management level who are reluctant to motivate members who have passion.

Working for the south african police service

Working for the police service had its up and down times very stressful and hardly had any assistance from management regarding work scheludes or help in getting the work doneWhen coming to crime fighting its bad crime is going up and suspects are never harshly punished for the crime they commitAlso in all the years I worked 20+years I was only promoted onesThere were times when I was on leave I was called to into the station to do work I was never thanked for the work I didHad no lunch times for when there were deadlines and reports to be done I had to work extended hours with no extra pay

Pros

Work hours

Cons

Long and tiring

Stressful and no support

The management don't care about your safety and well-being. Always equipment problems and not enough members for backup. Almost all radio equipment are faulty and vehicles always problematic at stations. People outside and criminals don't care about you and the same with management in the police. Promotion are years to come and theirs always no money for police promotions. The statistics are being edited so that the community don't see what is going on.

Pros

Medical aid

Cons

No management support and poor work environment.

Learning and overworked

There is a lots of work and different cases evrytime. You work under very difficult conditions with very limited resources. Hardly appreciated by the management and the public but must always do your best.

It is nice to work for saps as a cleaner/handyman on cleaner sallery level 2 for 9 years but .. they where it comes by promotion it never happens

it's always fun at work. I learned in the police you can't trust anyone.Management should be more strict.The hardest part of my job is that I must always do the person's work that started a few months ago , and I'm nine years in this service .Best part of my job is that I always get a compliment that I did the job very good. Workplace culture we are like a family.

Cons

Lack of resources influences turnaround time to complete a task and or project.

I have only been working for SAPS 3 years and 10 months. I am therefore still in experienced compare majority of the support staff working there. Most of the them have been working for SAPS for more than 10 years and most are still on a level 5 salary.Growth in SAPS is slow unless you fit the "profile"There is no consequence management. Complacent managers are inconsistent. Recognition is completely absent. Absentee expectations are unattainable due to poor management.Comply now and complain later. Working hours are great.

Pros

Working hours. Relaxed environment

Cons

Poor management

Stressful

Dangerous work place with managers who dont worry about their membersYou need to do your best with no appraisal, mostly complaints against your name

Pros

Lunches

Cons

Long dangerous hours

Poor company

Bad company. Dont work for them.bad bosses. Corrupt bosses. No integrity, no human relations, friend friend benefits. Only those knowing somebody benefits.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at South African Police Service?

SAPS, Forensic ScienceLab

Received lots op training opportunities, state of the art scientific equipment up to 2012. Diverse type of work and cases. Seldom routine cases. Opportunity for research. After 2012 Forensics went downhill. Management not scientists therefore they cannot identify with scientific problems or contribute to solutions, just statistics

I worked for South African Police Service and I would like to explore further in other Law Enforcement agencies and to further my career.

Violence, rebellious, loud, ignorant, drug edicts, loitering, reckless drivers, thieves, cool and calm, compassion, best worker, respectful to others.

At SAPS I was working on due dates e.g each and every mornings I must check the daily crime for faults and report to the management, and compile week and monthly register for faults and keep the records.

Pros

Standard lunch time

Cons

8 hours

project

lots of new challenges every day and lot of travelling national, visiting the police station. Doing project and management ordering of material and scope of works

A very unique, challenging,the busiest and the biggest Police station in FS

For me as a commander a typical day at work was always the same.In that it was very busy on a daily basis. I learned a lot of things, to be able to control my temper,to comply and complain later, gain more skiil on self and other people management, problem solving skill improved, improved decision making, improved on communication skill, discipline and self discipline and learned to have a thick skin. The Police management is one of the best in the public service. In the Police,time management, discipline,service delivery and performance are the culture. The hardest part of my job was that as Detective Commander I had very little time for myself or for my family. I enjoyed competing with other big detective branches in terms of the performance.

Good

Working at South African Police service was teaching experience to be more advanced in my work of supply chain management I served for 23 years for the Organization and I felt hts time to pursue a career at the private sector

The work environment needed much attention

The ranks takes too long work environment needs to be looked into safety of members is very poor salary needs to be on top since we working long hours our police stations needs to up grade worst working on the place it’s self toilet facilities too poor you just don’t want to go to work police eating areas they don’t have

Pros

Places to eat a proper lunch

Cons

Hours are to long money is less

Be productive and complete task as requested at said time. Conduct investigations to solve crimes. Give feedback to management if requested To solve all crimes

everyday in the service was different. you would never have the same problems or complaints. some days would be enjoyable, or frustrating or traumatic

it has become harder to do your work to the best of your capabilities. the management in the Police is different to the private sector. most of top management did not start at grass roots, members tend to resent management because they didn't start at the bottom. promotion is hard to achieve even if you are the most qualified and have the experience. it is rewarding being able to help someone who is in real need.

Its a good organization to work on

Its q good organisation to work on. But the management does not take care of the junior employees...the junior employees that are working on the ground are the one who are at risk and suffering.

I'm the one of three types graduate in SAPS, but my qualifications were useless in SAPS,they don't promote us, you get qualification's bonus once

South Africa Police Service is a good organisation but it need the following to improve: 1.Management Skills Most management are not trained to lead.leadership must be improved. 2.It does not take education serious SAPS have a lot of graduate that thier qualifications are not considered e.g if you completed your qualification SAPS must increase your salary or promote you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South African Police Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• South African Police Service