South African Police Service

South African Police Service Pay & Benefits reviews

Clear
3.1Pay & Benefits

Found 245 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,503 reviews

Lack of resources influences turnaround time to complete a task and or project.

I have only been working for SAPS 3 years and 10 months. I am therefore still in experienced compare majority of the support staff working there. Most of the them have been working for SAPS for more than 10 years and most are still on a level 5 salary.Growth in SAPS is slow unless you fit the "profile"There is no consequence management. Complacent managers are inconsistent. Recognition is completely absent. Absentee expectations are unattainable due to poor management.Comply now and complain later. Working hours are great.

Pros

Working hours. Relaxed environment

Cons

Poor management

Productive and fun workplace

Being an intern at the SAPS was a great experience. Everything was structured really well and being of service to the public was a great pleasure. Working for the government allows you to enjoy a lot of benefits like public holidays and being off on weekends as well

Pros

Friendly staff/colleague's

Cons

Workload

Fair

The job is nice and very interesting But no rewardKeep on being faithfulGod will reward youHelp your community to your bestAttend to courses offeredRespect all people and offer good service to them, never mind little salary

Pros

No proper benefits, work to assist your community, and nothing else.

Cons

Long hours of work, expect nothing, but reward from God

Educational and productive

It was good ,exciting a good platform to take on your career , it has got all the tools even the environment is friendly ,mostly you gain because there were also courses offered to develop yourself.

Pros

Never get bored

Cons

Long hours and no public holiday

Lots of life experience

The best time of my life. Experience gave me a new outlook in life. Made good and trusted friends. Made a man out of me. Help and advice was always available. Good training

Pros

Teamwork

Cons

Salary

Great place to get experience for future positions at other law enforcement agencies

SAPS is a great employer. Good medical aid benefits & Pension fund benefits. Individual vision must be in line with SAPS vision otherwise it will not be a nice place for you.

Pros

You get bursaries for self empowerment.

Cons

You get too attached to the SAPS

Excellent job satisfaction. Internal growth. Excellent benifits. Team work.

I worked 23 years at the SA police service.The internal growth system is excellent and very good salary and benefits.It's a exciting career where you can have multiple career opportunities. It's a very good team culture.

Pros

Great benefits medical

Good working condition hours flexible no pressure benefit like medical aid advantage yes salary can't meet ur expenses as such good thing u will be paid for Sunday holiday allowance

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Flex hours

Incredible place to work at but takes forever to be recognised

In the beginning it was interesting but as time went by it was tough because there was no growth it took forever for people to be promoted. For civilians it's tough because first preference is given to the police officials. For those civilians doing administration duties it's rough and there's two departments in one organisation. Police for police officers and public services for civilian employees.

Pros

Work security and benefits

Cons

No growth

Work experience.

A lot of corrupted police officers that must be get rid of. I liked the benefits and job security. Detectives are over worked with case load. Need more members to do all the work the ratio of members to public is not enough.

Pros

Work security

Cons

Corrupted members

Poor company

Bad company. Dont work for them.bad bosses. Corrupt bosses. No integrity, no human relations, friend friend benefits. Only those knowing somebody benefits.

Relaxed environment

A very relaxed environment and friendly colleagues. You need to take it slowly because that environment can be streesfull due to crime reports eveyday

Pros

Friendly and relaxed

Cons

Low salary

Unproductive and stressfull

Working in the SAPS is stressful and if you are not part of the correct target group will never be promoted. I do love my current post but is now already 20 years in the same rank. Only South African citizens can apply to become a police member.

Pros

Medical benefits

Cons

Long periods before you can get promoted

Salary

Constables are paid less money while they are the one doing all the work for the officers. If they can adjust the salary level of the constables, the corruption would be reduced because if you are holding a rank of constable you can't afford to buy a house and the car at the same time. Sometimes you have to combine with someone in order to qualify to buy a house.

The salary not bad for the young who are still depending on their parents, only night shift need to be considered

The working environment is a challenge because people when you are on uniform, they are forgetting that you are the son or daughter of other family and you need to be protected as well. The salary of junior ranks need to be adjust because they are the one who are in danger all the time, senior police working in the office with aircorn, barfridge and laptop.

Well structured Excellent in Service training Lack of management

Good organissational capabillities ...depending on your department .Satisfactory labour practises.Excellent in Forensic and Science Services department Competative salary.

Police officer for 13 Years

Great Team work with professional colleagues. Always enjoyed courses on offer from time to time, to grow into a specialized field. To be able to make a difference in the normal public everyday is very rewarding especially if people appreciate your contribution. Discipline and respect were on the order of the day and the Police force drilled good ethics and core values into all of us. It was a respected force with many options to specialize in.

Pros

On the right side of the Law

Cons

Salary

Salary

Salary very little as compared to day to day risks we are facing and some situations lead to the loss of life of the members. The benefits are very poor too like R400 danger allowance it shud atleast be R2000

South African Police services

Over worked and under paid. The work is not a problem however there is a lot required of you and the pay is not much and hard to survive. I find it difficult to meet my bills and make ends meat

The work environment needed much attention

The ranks takes too long work environment needs to be looked into safety of members is very poor salary needs to be on top since we working long hours our police stations needs to up grade worst working on the place it’s self toilet facilities too poor you just don’t want to go to work police eating areas they don’t have

Pros

Places to eat a proper lunch

Cons

Hours are to long money is less

I have learned to appreciate life because each and every day when you go to work its either you will come back or not because of the challenges of our job.

Pros

Pay for overtime

Cons

Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South African Police Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• South African Police Service