South African Police Service

South African Police Service Work-Life Balance reviews

Clear
3.1Pay & Benefits

Found 595 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,503 reviews

The environment is pretty competitive alot of comparison but because I love helping people I tolerate it

The environment I'm working in is ok I learn everyday .I like the fact that it's giving me work experience and I like learning new things daily.I got deployed at a local school and so far it's been fine a few hiccups there and there like being here I meet different people with different personalities it's a new experience each day.I have adapted and since I'm a person who never backs down or gives up without a fight I give it my all regardless it's a learning to opportunity for me.I wake up daily to help out in my community for me it's a very fulfilling moment for it's a good feeling to know your making a difference in being part of the solution not the problem,I take it a day a time hopefully I make the difference I intend to do.

Pros

Helping out my community

Cons

Don't get recognition and people take us for granted

Fun and productive

I have learnt that you must put more efforts when doing your work and you must be willing to learn new things,and they thought us to love our work.

Pros

They always motivate us to never give up on our dreams, they give us hope that one day we will get our permanent jobs, and also hard work pays, we must always sell ourselves by doing our work properly

Cons

Lot of work and not getting any kind of remuneration

Stressful and risky

Dealing with criminals on daily basis, attending life threatening situations. The pain of going to work and knowing that you might not come back to your family. You must have passion for your job and be on alert everytime. It needs dedication. The organization has EHW where members receive counseling

Cons

Is very challenging and interesting

Is challenging when coming to safety but is interesting and giving joy after helping someone.when you heard people commending your hard work it feels so good.

Pros

If attending meetings you get free tea

Cons

Eight hours unless it's special duties

Experiemental

You need to be sober minded. And its was fairly good experience and enhanced my confidence (addressing people and interacting with people from all walks of life)

Pros

Cons

Only on special occassions

It is a progressive environment

It's a challenging progressive work environment, I grew my expertise and It challenged me to work hard to serve the community with respect and dignity

Pros

The employer pays half of your medical aid

Productive working environment

They always put the needs of the public first and make sure at all times that they serve the community. Ensure the safety of the community. Train every personnel according to their job description.

Fair

The job is nice and very interesting But no rewardKeep on being faithfulGod will reward youHelp your community to your bestAttend to courses offeredRespect all people and offer good service to them, never mind little salary

Pros

No proper benefits, work to assist your community, and nothing else.

Cons

Long hours of work, expect nothing, but reward from God

Educational and productive

It was good ,exciting a good platform to take on your career , it has got all the tools even the environment is friendly ,mostly you gain because there were also courses offered to develop yourself.

Pros

Never get bored

Cons

Long hours and no public holiday

Very pleasant environment minus the politics but overall one of the best places to work when you have a good relationship with the staff members.

It can be demanding , Tasks gets assigned to you last minute , You need to be able to be comfortable and working alongside Cops and High ranking officers if need be.Attitude is everything and Discipline . If you short of temper then find space or room to breath. Overall its What you make of it.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at South African Police Service?

Still waiting on feedback from re enlistment,very dangerous job because off increase in police killings but lovely work when I serve and protect.come to work while community is asleep and sometimes leaves when they are going to sleep again, especially when it on standby, community always comes first and try ur best to solve a problem,ur happy when client is happy, my superior is always there for me even if I must call him up at home,it is nice to work with colleagues and the best part is when tracing off suspects.

Pros

Help communities

Cons

Long hours but pays at.the end off the day when u arrest ur suspect.

Ive been working innthe SAPS from 2011, the working environment and culture is very welcoming and easier to learn the work. It is work where almost everything is regulated by National Instructions and Standing Orders. This makes work easy as you can always refer if there is any uncertainty about anything. Uniformity and discipline are regularly emphasised

Lots of life experience

The best time of my life. Experience gave me a new outlook in life. Made good and trusted friends. Made a man out of me. Help and advice was always available. Good training

Pros

Teamwork

Cons

Salary

Stressful and challenging workplace

You have to face new challenges everyday, you have to be patient since your working with the Victims. Also the Suspect meaning your character must be determined by your current situation.

Pros

No specific lunch time

Cons

Same times long hours it depends

Stagnant and stressful workplace

A very big organization,with a rank structure independent of whether you are qualified for a certain job or not. Promotions are rare because of the high volume of employees on each level and hence no growth. Once you get in to the force is not easy to get out, not sure if other companies or departments do not prefer people from the SAPS or what. In service training/course not recognized anywhere besides in the police. Compliance is enforced, no freedom of choice allowed.

Great place to get experience for future positions at other law enforcement agencies

SAPS is a great employer. Good medical aid benefits & Pension fund benefits. Individual vision must be in line with SAPS vision otherwise it will not be a nice place for you.

Pros

You get bursaries for self empowerment.

Cons

You get too attached to the SAPS

Excellent job satisfaction. Internal growth. Excellent benifits. Team work.

I worked 23 years at the SA police service.The internal growth system is excellent and very good salary and benefits.It's a exciting career where you can have multiple career opportunities. It's a very good team culture.

Pros

Great benefits medical

Good company to work for job security and growth

The work culture was great, able to work only monday to friday some weekends only if necessary. Dont work on holidays you get leave days even if you are an intern.

Pros

Monday to friday

Cons

Sometimes have to leave late due to unfinished tasks

Work over time and work hard on defferent kind of environment, good communication with others.

I am that kind of human being who physically fit and also I like to work with deferent kind of people. I work hard to finish my job and good in communication skill, read and writing also I like to work as team.

Pros

30minutes

Cons

13hours

Productive workplace

Excellent working environment, welcoming and you end up building a family bond with the colleagues.Awesome job security, moderate job incentives and fun!

Pros

No work during weekends.

Cons

No closing during festive season

Fun workplace

It is fun as you experience new things and stressful at times when you for example need some resources and you don't get recognized because of your rank

Pros

More time off

Cons

Promotions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at South African Police Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• South African Police Service
  • Work-Life Balance
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?