South African Post Office
3,8 out of 5 stars.

South African Post Office Employee Reviews in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal

It was a fun environment but very strict when it comes to work. You need to be prepared for everything that might come up and avoid making mistakes especially unneccessary mistakes because you pay for it.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Back office administration. Receiving and sending parcels local and international. Opening and closing accounts. Sales and after sales on the post office products.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Normal hours
good people to work with prepared to train you . fare working hours allow you to learn new things related to work. you even get annual leave. they have all resources you may need to perform your task.
Due to circumstances of the environment a typical day is addressing challenges and being creative and resourceful to close those challenges. This makes you think on your feet.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Legislation
Post office is one of the biggest companies, so i can say i was grateful to be part of it because it helped me in so many ways like managing time, planning in time and last but not least i learned how to behave professional in the working placw
Cons
normal working hours
I have learn to work with different people and other culture. I am the person who easily adapt to change I have been in this Job for more than 15 years and I have learn and add value for decision making. I take control and monitor the financial aspects.
typical day: systems migration what i learned: time management, team work & problem sovling skills Management: Fair co-workers: Fun & learning new things from them hardest part: making users understand new systems enjoyable part: dealing & training users
Cons
I have grown as an employee, i became a manager and got opportunities to develop myself. I have learnt all the management skills necessary to manage people and lead them toward the vision of the organisation. Learning and development is a very challenging environment, you need to continuously invent yourself in order to be relevent. I manage a team of professional education and development preactitioners and I also learn a lot from them. I enjoy interacting with people as it is a greatest part of my job, I attend learning interventions and support my colleagues as they deliver training. I like the most, the corporate social investment interventions we have for schools and communities.
Pros
Development opportunity
Cons
Too relaxed environment
End of the month are worst days of the days as you complile Financial report, you have to submit Casual hours to the head office for them to capture and pay the salaries, it is quiet a lot as you really have to be accurate as the casual employees depend on you to get a salary at the end of the month. I have learnt alot of things about myself the abilities i have in me that i did not know about the fact that i can work well under pressure, i am a self starter and the fact that i organize events very well. I am part of the management team and because of my Transport Diploma i form part of the operation planning team for transport section that enables me to explore exactly what an transport operation is all about.I would really say i enjoyed this job when i started it but have realised that i am more of an operation person than admin and i think it is because i am always looking for a challenge. I work well in group and with people, I enjoy interaction and the sharing of Ideas. i do not believe that there is something hard but if there are difficulties it just calls for one to go back to the drawing board and come up with and concur. I enjoy assisting people in with their issues, it brings peace to my heart.
Pros
Travelling
Cons
No new Challenges.
I was employed in the accounting division of the post office
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
I receive and capture enquiries. Update the system accordingly and provide feedback to our internal and external clients. I learned that if you do work right at first time, you will not have problems and unhappy customers. I report to a very dynamic and yet strict lady who always will allow you to work independently. We work as a team with my co-workers and always discuss our challenges at this job and way forward. The hardest part of this job is that you always deal with unhappy customers but it always humbles me when they express their gratitude after whatever they complained about has been resolved. The most enjoyable part is when I have managed to resolve the query or compensated customer if query could not be resolved and the customer is finaly happy.
Pros
Team buildings and free lunches.
Cons
Paper work.
It is a little after half past 6 in the morning. The sun rays are peeking over the horizon to welcome another day in the life of a Postie. As the the trees outside my window start throwing their shadows like dancing angels on my desk, I'm standing there with my nose right up against the window. Surreal and strange as things start getting together. Almost like another person sitting in my desk. Like so many other people before me and probably after me I have dedicated my whole working career to this company. I have progressed, made sacrifices and learned a lot from each section I worked in. I worked myself to the position of manager against many odds and limited opportunities. Today I'm standing at the window and seeing myself directing operational requirements and making sure that enough resources are available to exercise our mandate to our customers. I see myself walking out of the office to visit the operational floor where people are frantically running around doing what they do every day. Mundane some would say, others would say not the brightest people. I'm calling them my colleagues. Yes we disagree, but they are still my people. We have our differences and sometimes they are gullible to believe made-up stories. They also believe in the right to air their views through labour unrest, but guess what they still provide the country with a social service. I also see myself with other managerial colleagues. At the backdrop of having to run a business under threat of technology and an enshrined culture. Dwindling volumes of letters and uncertainty of the future. Yet they all - more...