South African Post Office
3,8 out of 5 stars.

South African Post Office Employee Reviews for Regional Manager

Due to circumstances of the environment a typical day is addressing challenges and being creative and resourceful to close those challenges. This makes you think on your feet.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Legislation
While I do enjoy my job doing what I am employed to do, there is just too much political games, working with people who have progressed through the ranks with no actual passion for the built environment but more for job status and no actual work being done. Coming from the private sector and joining a government parastal I thought it would provide better job security and I would at least be able to get a good pension. Everything takes time and you have to jump through hoops when citing regulation and compliance with it, always looking for the lowest price but expecting all the bells and whistles. No one seems to want to take responsibility or be accountable, but in defence we are governed by the public finance management act and things do take longer. Overall if people are accountable and act with integrity this would be a good company to work for.
Pros
The benefits (for me it's the pension - that's all I get)
Cons
no real work ethic, politics, some unethical practices
It is a little after half past 6 in the morning. The sun rays are peeking over the horizon to welcome another day in the life of a Postie. As the the trees outside my window start throwing their shadows like dancing angels on my desk, I'm standing there with my nose right up against the window. Surreal and strange as things start getting together. Almost like another person sitting in my desk. Like so many other people before me and probably after me I have dedicated my whole working career to this company. I have progressed, made sacrifices and learned a lot from each section I worked in. I worked myself to the position of manager against many odds and limited opportunities. Today I'm standing at the window and seeing myself directing operational requirements and making sure that enough resources are available to exercise our mandate to our customers. I see myself walking out of the office to visit the operational floor where people are frantically running around doing what they do every day. Mundane some would say, others would say not the brightest people. I'm calling them my colleagues. Yes we disagree, but they are still my people. We have our differences and sometimes they are gullible to believe made-up stories. They also believe in the right to air their views through labour unrest, but guess what they still provide the country with a social service. I also see myself with other managerial colleagues. At the backdrop of having to run a business under threat of technology and an enshrined culture. Dwindling volumes of letters and uncertainty of the future. Yet they all - more...