South African Post Office
3,8 out of 5 stars.

South African Post Office Management reviews

Working at south African post office has improved my behavior at work environment, new admin tecniques and tools. communication and Leadership skill
Pros
Services delivery
Cons
Network
It was a good company in 1994 from government to a semi company but as years go by things change especially from 2004 . Bad people from top management joined the post office and it started to drop the standard and if you can look at now ,it is No longer good at all the services are poor and also the morale is very down from the employees
Pros
It was good then now I do not know
Cons
It was a best company to work for not anymore
Time management - always working according to time/target. Independence and team work - collaborative work Management semi authoritative - old generation style Friendly but old fashioned Strikes and not being able to deliver, due to strikes Support and loving environment
I started as a data capturer work for 9 months there, promoted to teller, then admin and for the past 8 years mail controller, mainly a mail dominated ar which I did a great job. My reason for resigning was due to poor management style which makes it impossible to deliver what it takes, which was the slogan of the company at the time.
work under presure from start to finish ,no time waisting must be productive,client handeling is most important,handeling personal according to bussines situation ,lunch ,leave ,time off ,etc
Pros
work security
Cons
lack of communication from management
Management is Great, they are friendly and supportive.The staff is unbelievable, The culture and the togetherness.I had a great time, The branch manager is brilliant yet humble.
The department I worked in, is the busiest especially on weekdays. I have learned to be patient with customers. Management and workers are like family.
Pros
No free lunches, everyone stick to their lunch time.
Cons
8 hrs during the day, 12 hrs night shift
I was assigned to conduct a survey on Absenteeism and HIV/AIDS in the Mail Depot/Centre and the Bloemfontein Post Office. The supervisors of the said sections were interviewed with the objective of conducting a survey regarding absenteeism in their work units and their view on HIV/AIDS in the workplace. In the report thereof I, as the author, reviewed the theory or background regarding the concepts of absenteeism and HIV and AIDS in the workplace and their effects/impact in the workplace, to the employees, the management and the organisation applying the literature review to the survey at hand and the outcomes thereof, also making recommendations to the Labour Relations Unit, for further discussion with the next line of management for review and possible implementation for the region. This was an attempt to survey the situation in the two identified sections or business units and to assess the need or possibility of conducting a survey in other sections of the organisation, involving employees at all levels, offices and areas.
Pros
Structured Workplace
Cons
Employee Wellness Challenges
Different people about thousands enter the company to buy postal products. The management supports other workers and they normal do also our work and train new staff members. The hardest part of the job is parcel dispatching especially big parcels and tiring and sorting of mail its difficult because you have to be precisely sure that the letter is put exactly to the right box. The most enjoyable part is sales and customer care.
Pros
Day offs
Cons
Weekday hours
Working environment was not conducive, very unproductive Poor management style Mail been delayed unnecessary Mail not delivered as per company slogan.
Pros
Cons
long hours on saturday
i have learned a lot working for this company. unity between employers and management.working under pressure and together. loving and free environment.
Pros
non
Cons
non
South African Post Office is a great company to work for. Respect among workers, clients and management makes it a place enjoyable to find one's self in. Salary and benefits are good. There is a big room for growth because of the on going training provided by the company.
Pros
Free safety wear
Cons
Long discussions before agreement is reached on annual salary increases.
Very busy and you learn to work with clients all day. Management are very strict and supervisors there to check, Very interesting to work in the different department and gain quite a lot of knowledge,
Cons
Amazing managers.you live to go to work and never stay out no matter what.its a company wher we work as a team all the time.one million ups for south african post office.words cant dedcribe what a great company this is.
Cons
nothing
For me personally the job is exciting and physically challenging... But there's no growth for the employees who are at the bottom of the hierarchy... Management don't include workers on their decision making so whatever they say goes... Do as they say or you out, but most amazingly you learn responsibility as you spend all day outside delivering mail...
Pros
Less hours
They can use some new challenges into the workplace. Make more meetings with management and stuff to lay down all the concerns and complains from customers and find ways to fix them.
Pros
there Are glasses in between clients and consultants
Cons
Working seated, It gets really tiring, could use some moving around.
My typical day at work it was in 2014 whereby I have to help more than 387 customers alone in the office. On the pensioners day payments. I have to manage the queue and the cash in the same time. I was counting the cash using my hands because there was not cash counting machine. I closed the office so late at 18:00 evening. When it comes in management is was so difficult because my office was a single handed office meaning I was working alone as a Teller, as a Cashier and a Branch manager as well. I have learned how to manage cash and to control the queue. I have learned to manage time and my work. Customers enjoyed my services very much and they were even asking that how do I hope with such a lots of work like that because I have to serve them and respond to my email, opening the incoming mail, dispatching the mail, do a banking, opening the accounts, doing some enquiries for dormant accounts and closed accounts and also making a follow up for track and trace parcels alone.
Pros
sometimes a one hour lunch
Cons
long queues and long hours
As this is a state company I took all the cases I handled with utmost seriousness they deserved, whether it was 10 cents lost or 100 000 rands, the principle applies throughout. So it was a challenging job as I would as thorough with a case concerning a senior executive as I would a junior employee.
Pros
Independent decision making
Cons
Unstable management
The Post Office is a great company to work for. Over 34 years where I worked in various departments, I was seldom held back in terms of personal development (studies) but in terms of career advancement, employment equity was not applied and implemented fairly. I suppose that the influence of the human element in Human Capital cannot be ruled out. I enjoyed being able to make a positive impact to fellow workers and the citizens of SA who we were appointed to serve. The culture at the PO is awesome and when I had personal family tragedy with the passing of my mother, the sense of family through the support I received from colleagues across the country was overwhelming. travelling overseas and being allowed to share my management skills with the Independent Electoral Commission in thew first Democratic elections in 1994, are some momentous highlights of a career that I am extremely proud of.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Incompetent colleagues
Customer Service Customer enquiries Banking Certification Dispatching of mail Receiving of mail Assets Control Track and trace of the parcels Checking Transactions Recording of the transactions Managing of the staff Attending meetings Opening and Closing of the office Queue management
Pros
Lunch Boxes
Cons
Weekends and long hours
While I do enjoy my job doing what I am employed to do, there is just too much political games, working with people who have progressed through the ranks with no actual passion for the built environment but more for job status and no actual work being done. Coming from the private sector and joining a government parastal I thought it would provide better job security and I would at least be able to get a good pension. Everything takes time and you have to jump through hoops when citing regulation and compliance with it, always looking for the lowest price but expecting all the bells and whistles. No one seems to want to take responsibility or be accountable, but in defence we are governed by the public finance management act and things do take longer. Overall if people are accountable and act with integrity this would be a good company to work for.
Pros
The benefits (for me it's the pension - that's all I get)
Cons
no real work ethic, politics, some unethical practices