South African Post Office
3,8 out of 5 stars.

South African Post Office Management reviews

I started as a data capturer work for 9 months there, promoted to teller, then admin and for the past 8 years mail controller, mainly a mail dominated ar which I did a great job. My reason for resigning was due to poor management style which makes it impossible to deliver what it takes, which was the slogan of the company at the time.
I start at 08:30 in the morning with a daily meeting clients arrive at 08:40 as a R.P. officer u must wear different heads i.e. hyster driver,consultain,administrater and a bacis bookkeeper I work in a team with and it can be interesting at times the management team is always there to give a helping hand the hardest part of my job is driving the forklift ,but the most enjoyable part is meeting new people on a daily basis.
With the new CEO on board, the future looks promising, as he possess a great deal of expertise and has a proven track record of being a very successful business man.
Pros
Positive and dedicated workforce and working conditions.
Cons
Not always opportunity to advance everyone.
normal day,learned much experince and good management. my co-worker were very helpful. my hardest part at work was system went offline the whole day. The most enjoyable part is whereby i served all my clients without any discrepancy.
Pros
i brought my own lunch.
Cons
normal working hours (8 hours)
typical day: systems migration what i learned: time management, team work & problem sovling skills Management: Fair co-workers: Fun & learning new things from them hardest part: making users understand new systems enjoyable part: dealing & training users
Cons
Render customer service be it product or service. Working together with coworkers and other branch offices. Management has shortfall of sight. Fair and reasonable. Peak times Peak times.
Pros
Free refreshments.
Cons
Unnecessary work backlog.
Never in one day ever had such bad times to do with my work duties was just enjoying every minute of it,was a lot more new things to learn daily.I had colleaques that were even friendly to associate with,trustworthy, everything we do was to perfection with the help of such a great team we had.We were like running the company as if it was our own, because not a single day you'll hear management crying of any discrepencies or that we were far behind with something and even late coming,we were always puctual with whatever we does.Team work was more like our daily bread how we were excelling with whatever we were doing.
Pros
Own Lunch
Cons
7.9 Hours
I have grown as an employee, i became a manager and got opportunities to develop myself. I have learnt all the management skills necessary to manage people and lead them toward the vision of the organisation. Learning and development is a very challenging environment, you need to continuously invent yourself in order to be relevent. I manage a team of professional education and development preactitioners and I also learn a lot from them. I enjoy interacting with people as it is a greatest part of my job, I attend learning interventions and support my colleagues as they deliver training. I like the most, the corporate social investment interventions we have for schools and communities.
Pros
Development opportunity
Cons
Too relaxed environment
End of the month are worst days of the days as you complile Financial report, you have to submit Casual hours to the head office for them to capture and pay the salaries, it is quiet a lot as you really have to be accurate as the casual employees depend on you to get a salary at the end of the month. I have learnt alot of things about myself the abilities i have in me that i did not know about the fact that i can work well under pressure, i am a self starter and the fact that i organize events very well. I am part of the management team and because of my Transport Diploma i form part of the operation planning team for transport section that enables me to explore exactly what an transport operation is all about.I would really say i enjoyed this job when i started it but have realised that i am more of an operation person than admin and i think it is because i am always looking for a challenge. I work well in group and with people, I enjoy interaction and the sharing of Ideas. i do not believe that there is something hard but if there are difficulties it just calls for one to go back to the drawing board and come up with and concur. I enjoy assisting people in with their issues, it brings peace to my heart.
Pros
Travelling
Cons
No new Challenges.
It is an Human Resources office with 60 staff or more, but divided in groups. It is a pleasant work place. Well organized.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Offices move from Pretoria to Centurion - far from home
Working with different people everyday. Learning how to deal with difficult customers. Coworkers very friendly and helpful. Management approachable.
Pros
Learning how to deal with difficult customers
Cons
Tracing of misplaced parcels difficult
i worked part time at the post office and enjoyed working with people. i learned alot about how to handel customers aswell as conflict handeling. we had a change in management but i adored both of my supervisors because they are very nice and helpfull. it is a very small post office so it was just me and the superviser and we gtot along very well he is a very hard working person and i learned alot from him
Pros
the work was very enjoyable
Cons
customers doesn't always have patients in problem situations
i can not tell that much because i was on a 3months contract.i did enjoy worked in new environment.management and colleagues were good and the most difficult part of the job was parcels at first.
Pros
cant tell
Cons
december was 3permanent staff went on leav
I have learned how to work as a team and also working under pressure. The importance of meeting your dead lines and targets. Management is supportive and understanding at times. Co workers are good and they work as a team and as a family. The hardest part of the job is when there is interest rate changes and reassesments of the vehicles whereby one has to manually change all the contracts on SAP one by one, because there is more than 1500 contracts thats need to be adjusted. The most enjoyable part of the job is when there is a challenge and one has to apply the knowledge one has learned at school to resolve the problem.
Pros
internal courses
Cons
working on weekends when there is a lot of work to do
Implementation and development of strategies, dealing with labour and interacting with different people of different levels and intellect. Learned that hard work pays and fulfills and that job fulfillment is not only about money and about intellectual development. Management was very motivating, the hierarchical levels were not stressed therefore one would be exposed to any level of management depending on competence and willingness to learn and most importantly not complaining. Also learned that sells sacrifice can improve knowledge. Hardest part was to deal with strikes where in there were no demands made by labour and the reality that the strikes affects the end users/ customers. The most enjoyable part was growth and exposure to different elements of Human Resources and having been given an opportunity to learn and develop on my own. The acceptance that employees needs to be exposed to challenges to be able to grow and develop.
Pros
Professional and maturity development and exposure
Cons
Enjoyable long hours
I had challenges on day to day of my duties, I had to learned to take responsibility in what ever I do. I have a ood though sometimes i had to admid a challenging relationship with management. We normally support each other in term of work related issues with my collegues. I found it challenging more than to be hard to meet multiple deadlines in same time though i will plain my duties and prioritse from most important to dealth with first. the most enjoyable part is to reach my goals.
Started with my duties each day. I really learned a lot in the time working for the SA Post Office, that is where I picked up all my experience. Management was really great and the door was always open for new opportunities. Got along with all my co-workers. The hardest part of the job, was to say no when I was asked to assist someone while my work itself was under pressure. I loved my work, because to be a personal assistant was really my dream since I was little. All the experience I got from my work, can never be taken away from me.
Pros
Fringe benefits, balance between social life and work.
Cons
Really learned to work under pressure, but made me as stronger and wise person
As a supervisor a day become very short due to the load of resposibility.I have learn and develop in working underpressure situation, Prresentation skills,divesity management and Team LeadershipThe Company is leaded by dinamic different level management easy to work with, supportive and welcomingCo-workers: Unlike the Management 60% of my colleagues has no passion of the job or personal development this cause the other 40% to pull alone that not positive to production.The hardest partIs to having to train illiterate staff ISO Policies specially on High Volume seasons.Most enjoyable part on my Job is on Monthly Presentation Reports when you actualy has to see your monthly perfomance it feel so good when you see your contribution to the company.
Pros
perfomances bonuses
Cons
rainy days
It is a little after half past 6 in the morning. The sun rays are peeking over the horizon to welcome another day in the life of a Postie. As the the trees outside my window start throwing their shadows like dancing angels on my desk, I'm standing there with my nose right up against the window. Surreal and strange as things start getting together. Almost like another person sitting in my desk. Like so many other people before me and probably after me I have dedicated my whole working career to this company. I have progressed, made sacrifices and learned a lot from each section I worked in. I worked myself to the position of manager against many odds and limited opportunities. Today I'm standing at the window and seeing myself directing operational requirements and making sure that enough resources are available to exercise our mandate to our customers. I see myself walking out of the office to visit the operational floor where people are frantically running around doing what they do every day. Mundane some would say, others would say not the brightest people. I'm calling them my colleagues. Yes we disagree, but they are still my people. We have our differences and sometimes they are gullible to believe made-up stories. They also believe in the right to air their views through labour unrest, but guess what they still provide the country with a social service. I also see myself with other managerial colleagues. At the backdrop of having to run a business under threat of technology and an enshrined culture. Dwindling volumes of letters and uncertainty of the future. Yet they all - more...
My typical day will be toperform continous assessment to understand the daily activities within our organisation- i.e business process maping, i have to always be aware of what are our high risk areas,and determine if controls exists.- this involves meeting with senior management in IT , business and riskI will review an audit execution or report on a dayWill research on new ways to approach an audit or a task- research is must. I use Auditors Round Table, ISACA and IIA , and googleI have learnt that it is important to understanding what makes senior mangement not to sleep at night that way our audit assurance is targeted in the right place and eventually controls are implemented which results in value add.Our management is actaully very knowledgeble about their business areas so, as an assurance provider this streches me to always make sure that i have thourough knowledge of what im discussingMy co-workers are very innovative and opinionated, so i am always willing to listen observe and learn a lot from them- even those that report to me.the hardest part of my job is convincing management that the controls are weak and business is at high risk. Secondly it is hard to help change mindset about internal auditors- to make them understand that my objectives are same as theirs- which is to make sure that risks are managed and controls are working and objectives are achieved. This is hard because business still think that we(auditors) are there to expose dirty linen or gaps, however I strive to get buy in for them to open up. My job is actually completed when i know - more...
Pros
petrol cards, insurance for car is free, lunch is cheap
Cons
overtime, no pay as senior manager
this helps to improve the enviroment we live in, we compile reports of consumption, set targets, identify overusage and try to sustain it. implement awareness to the employees and adhere to carbon footprintthe things that one csn learn is to take responsibilty in our daily lives, they management assist one in growing careerwise, model you to the suitable development and feel involved.the hardest part is to be in a new enviroment and having to grasp everything at once , however the greatest part is to be able to learn, implement, sustain and make an awearness to the people.
Pros
attending workshops
Cons
lack of knowledge