SOUTH AFRICAN WEATHER SERVICE

SOUTH AFRICAN WEATHER SERVICE Employee Reviews

South Africa19 reviews

3,4Work-Life Balance

Productive and collaborative,

Service delivery orientated. Lessons learnt include strategic planning processes and strategy development. Management provides space to operate and offers opportunities for growth. The hardest aspect of the job is when your service delivery has dependencies that are external from your sphere of influence. Enjoyable part of the job is when a self-developed document (submission or strategy) has been approved by the Principals (CEO and Board)

I loved the environment I was able to deliver as per stipulated guidelines and SLA

The role was fulfilling. Did what was required of me. I loved the travelling to various sites and recruiting the best talent for the organisation. I loved working there.

Stimulating sceintific environment

Unstable government organization keeps on changing their CEOs, there is no continuity of strategy and coherent organization. Too much interference form politicians and government stakeholders. Less professional environment that does not value merit.

so excellent

Working there is so excellent, professionally fulfilled. Working in the area of my engineering profession to contribute to the development of the society and the environment. Contributing to the security of the people in the environment.

Fun workplace

Engaging business leaders and team on department activities and plans, as well as planning and executing performance targets. Hardest part was working on a shoe string budget considering the key strategic programmes that needed attention. Best part - Great colleagues

Pros

Great team

Productive and Work place

Very productive due to exposure to technology and good to work for the company, Good benefits, Good management, Professional work environment. Good overall exposure to meteorological technology

Work under a lot of stress. Give no space to improved. No housing or cheap accommodation. Difficult to rest in between shifts. Needs improvement a lot

Leadership is terrible.

Bad leadership Terrible managers Old fashioned Junior staff treated badly. The worst organisation I've ever worked for, and I have worked for a couple that I thought were bad.

SAWS was a scientific/knowledge base orgnisation which is very professiona.

My typical daily work was that of managing people, drafting and implementing strategies, making decisions and managing stakeholders. managing SAWS reputation through media relations.

Pros

international travel and exposure to lot of work opportunities

Cons

rigid thinking of scientists

Productive and gives employees exposure in different fields

Since i have joined SAWS I have learnt lot of things and engaged with different people, SAWS has effective policies within its departments.SAWS has friendly and welcoming staff from Executive level to junior level.

fun workplace

I am self-motivated to achieve and deliver quality results in any given task or position. Strongly motivated to coordinate, organize and manage activities. Seeks open communication and to maintain good interpersonal relationships and good computer skills.

Pros

flexible

Good working place

Morning meeting with subordinates. Learned that co workers come from different backgrounds, thus this has impact on performance. Prioritise management requests.

Pros

Giving routine afternnoon off

Cons

Working over weekends

Very pressurized environment

Work with hiring managers on recruitment planning meetings. Assist in creating and updating job descriptions. Lead the creation of a recruiting and interviewing plan for each open position. Efficiently and effectively fill open positions. Conduct regular follow-up with managers to determine the effectiveness of recruiting plans and implementation. Develop a pool of qualified candidates in advance of need. Research and recommend new sources for active and passive candidate recruiting. Build networks to find qualified passive candidates. Post and advertise vacancies internally as well as externally. Utilize the Internet for recruitment. Post positions to appropriate Internet sources.. Research new ways of using social and professional networking sites to identify and source candidates. Locate and document where to find ideal candidates. . Create contacts within industry. Attend local professional meetings and membership development meetings. Coordinate recruiting initiatives (such as at Universities). Develop working relationships within colleagues to aid in recruiting. Give presentations at tertiary institutions, attend meetings, and increase awareness of the company maintain regular contact with possible future candidates Minimize the use of external recruiters by building effective database. Manage and Drive headhunting. Review applicants to evaluate if they meet the position requirements. Conduct pre-screening interviews. Maintain all pertinent applicant and interview data Assist in performing reference and background checks for potential -

productive

Sharing coffee and long discussions with my colleagues during lunch and breakfast. Learning new systems and understanding them

Pros

positive envoroment

Day-to-day work reqyuirements

Doing physical weather observations; sharing such data with duty forecaster and sending to the main database at headquarters. Issuing of flight documentation to who ever so requires. Assisting aircraft operators experiencing problems accessing SAWS website for information. Communicating with remote weather observers about their data ans sending to main database! Having a few friends at work always made my day! Non supportive management which is very prejudicial but one guy in particular who resigned early this year was an angel! Impressing management that is hard to impress and being away from my family for this slave-like job but with little to show for. Most enjoyable part of my job is going out on field inspections away from management!!

Pros

Medical aid, transport, overtime, shift alloawnace, 13th cheque, performance bonus

Cons

Litlle salary

It is a very conducive working place and I am surrounded by a great team of professionals

A typical day at work would be working unpaid overtime hours. Adaptation - the ability to co-exist and work with various characters in good and bad conditions and also to perform and deliver under pressure. Management is very professional and very linear-ed to its employees, I can give them proms for good management. My colleagues are very supportive, encouraging and professional. Hardest part of my job includes driving frequently to do site inspections so having to drive on heavily congested Gauteng roads on daily basis made me feel paranoid and traumatised by number of accidents we have witnessed so far on the roads. Good data recovery, community engagement, doing science (analysing data, scientific reports etc)

Pros

incidental claimes

Cons

Long hours on the road - fatigue and risk

Productive and Fun Experience

I learned a lot about Supply chain management dealing with suppliers. I love working with people. It was a lot to learn at first, but I caught on really quick. Hardest part of my job, or the least favorite part would be dealing with difficult suppliers who dont deliver on time,but by building rapport with the weather service was worth it I learned a lot, with the continuious training and ability to learn more than more daily functional duties that where entitled. Management had an open door policy which made it a comfortable work environment. Everyday was a different day, challanges made me discover my strong character.

Pros

Courses and training, great experience and co-workers

Cons

unexpected long hours

Challenging Enviroment

At South African Weather Service you can predict what excatly your day will be like. Sticking to plans is very difficult due to the nature of business the organisation runs. I have learnt how to lead, manage projects effectively, being discipline and adhering to SOPs and Policies. My colleagues are amazing but we are short staffed due to budget constraints, retirements, and resignations. The hardest part of my job is negotiating and consultations with Labour (Unions). The most enjable part of my job is policy review, conducting performance reviews and coaching of interns and colleagues.

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

Unplanned long meetings minimum 3 meetings a day

Productiveness and Working Atmosphere

we work in an open plan office, with Finance. the atmosphere is wonderfull and motivating. i have learned that working together as a team makes work more efficient and effective, and theres a meticulous amount of support and encouragement. i always enjoy coming to work because theres always deadlines to be met and end-users to be satisfied and expectations to be exceeded.

Pros

thers always room for growth

Cons

always improve and learn

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTH AFRICAN WEATHER SERVICE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,4 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance