SPARK Schools

SPARK Schools Employee Reviews in Johannesburg, Gauteng

A business venture masquerading as a school. They enslave their staff by overworking and underpaying them. A definite micky mouse republic!! If you love yourself , save yourself.
Did not have a pleasant experience at Spark. Management do not have open communication with staff. Staff are ALWAYS in the dark. Environement is terrible - and have noticed some Spark schools are container classrooms - looks horrible and not appealing whatsoever. Fees are affordable, but to what end? Spark is fake - but are really good at advertising and hides under a masked education system that does not work. Discipline at schools is attention getting signals - they do not work, and I feel makes the children seem like robots. I do not think this is the way to inspire young children. As a proud South African, I would like to embrace the essence of what makes me a South African - Spark is very neutral and takes on a neutral, somewhat American way of teaching. Teaching hours for children are very long and 7 year olds can't concentrate till 3pm. There is only PE and if kids want to play sport, they have to join a sports club - which is an additional fee to school fees...so is Spark really affordable? The curriculum is faltered - if Spark really wants to impress parents and future teachers, they should have properly qualified curriculum coordinators to create a curriculum worth using, and doesn't change every so often. As a parent myself, I wouldn't enroll my child at Spark because it seems to me that Spark is run more like a business rather than a place of learning.
Pros
Cons
Lengthy learning & teaching hours
I'm loving this company. One feels at home and always fun and I love the interaction by management to staff. I would not work anywhsre else this is the best. Company I've worked for
Pros
Popcorn on friday
Cons
None so far
This company does not care about the well being of their employees, to them it's about getting as many learners as possible, and making money, even if the resources and facilities do not accommodate the learners. The only people whose voices are heard are those with head office positions, nobody else matters. Their 'so-called American curriculum' is non-existent. Teachers have to source out a lot of their learning and teaching material which is not included in a teacher's salary. Teachers are not given time during working hours to prepare any work, therefore it means that a teacher must work outside of 9 hours as well as on weekends and school holidays which is unfair and unhealthy. They do not care about the future of South African children, this is just a money-making scheme. Many of these schools shouldn't even be operating based on health and safety standards. It's organisations like SPARK Schools that destroy our youth and kill the passion within our teachers.
Pros
Cons
Many
Working at Spark is generally positive and you'll find the positive attitudes infectious. The schools strive to implement a unique blend of flipped classroom models, learning modalities and professional development. The culture and focus on emotional growth is superb, however the schools are structured more to serve learners than teachers. Striking that balance is something they should work on for the future to address the quick turnover rates of teachers who cannot cope with the adjustment.
Pros
Excellent opportunities for growth and learning, high energy and nurturing environment, clear and involved management teams
Cons
Hours longer than usual for primary schools, work/life balance may be difficult to attain, lots of change to adapt to very quickly
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SPARK Schools?