SPARK Schools

Clear
2,5Work-Life Balance
2,9Culture

Fun and Vibrant Workplace

This company is innovative and has sophisticated systems in place to ensure that workers, scholars and parents are catered for.It is a vibrant environment and does enhance people's abilities.

Unrealistic expectations and long hours

SPARK Schools is a great way to get involved as a new graduate that has no experience teaching, to hone your skills and teaching strategies to suit the SPARK model. Experienced teachers who want to teach to their own methodologies cannot shape to their own standards, but need to always be in line with the SPARK model, thus individuality is dismissed. The hours are very long - for teachers and for scholars.The school day ends at 4pm for all teaching staff; excluding prep after hours for the next day. Expectations for teachers are overwhelmingly unrealistic and the curriculum is never stagnant. Spark schools has no culture relevant to embracing South African culture and is somewhat neutral - instead SPARKS Fly is required every day where children dance and presume to say their Daily Creed, without any prayer as most schools do; which I think is unfortunate, because I don't believe our cultures should be celebrated only on Heritage Day. Teachers are not supported by the "Support" provided and parents are constantly in the dark. I do not think SPARK Schools is a great place to enroll children because the model does not cater for all learners. Struggling scholars will continue to struggle because the curriculum is too difficult. SPARK does not have any academic assistance such as class assistants or educational professionals i.e. educational psychologists, speech therapists, psychologists, etc. to guide them, and class sizes are too large for the academic rigor placed on teachers to perform successful teaching; neither are scholar assessments done for for any scholar being enrolled -

Pros

Learning a unique class culture

Cons

Long hours, excess workload

Friendly staff and nice enviroment

I'm loving this company. One feels at home and always fun and I love the interaction by management to staff. I would not work anywhsre else this is the best. Company I've worked for

Pros

Popcorn on friday

Cons

None so far

A growing, nurturing but sometimes demanding school network

Working at Spark is generally positive and you'll find the positive attitudes infectious. The schools strive to implement a unique blend of flipped classroom models, learning modalities and professional development. The culture and focus on emotional growth is superb, however the schools are structured more to serve learners than teachers. Striking that balance is something they should work on for the future to address the quick turnover rates of teachers who cannot cope with the adjustment.

Pros

Excellent opportunities for growth and learning, high energy and nurturing environment, clear and involved management teams

Cons

Hours longer than usual for primary schools, work/life balance may be difficult to attain, lots of change to adapt to very quickly

Productive and Fun Working Place

Spark schools in an amazing place to work where you are provided with opportunities to grow, great work culture and lively environment, It is a wonderful place for ambitious people.

Pros

Opportunity for growth

Cons

Salary could improve

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPARK Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2,5 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance