SPARK Schools

SPARK Schools Pay & Benefits reviews

South Africa28 reviews
2,0
SPARK is great at marketing themselves to parents and teachers. There are lots of promises made with very little follow through. There is no accountability when things go wrong and blame always gets placed on someone else. It is very difficult to get straight answers and you always get the run around.
There is no time for a personal life and family time as you have extremely long working hours and when you are not at school you still have to put in many additional hours in the evening and weekends in order to meet expectations. They use disciplinary threats and policies to get you to abide by their way of doing things. The same rules do not apply to everyone and there are major inconsistencies when it comes to implementing rules.

The dress code is extremely strict and unreasonable especially when you are teaching for 8 hours a day. Comfort has no place in a SPARK classroom.

There are unrealistic expectations placed on teacher with little valuable support and resources. You are expected to use your own money to meet these expectations.

Professional development is offered as a selling point yet is often useless and the time could be used to do the mountains of admin that needs to be completed.

The emphasis at SPARK is academic achievement and data not learner centered. Your bonus and increase is based on learners results which often leads to dishonesty and mark adjustments.

I would not easily recommend SPARK as an organization to work for and I would never send my child there as the academic pressure is too high for them and does not develop a child holistically.
Pros
A great line manager, nice people that became friends
Cons
Salary, long working hours, unrealistic expectations
2,0
Got Promoted 3 times but salary didnt change personal agendas between the managers and should have focused on on the companies goals and loyal to their staff
1,0
This company does not care about the well being of their employees, to them it's about getting as many learners as possible, and making money, even if the resources and facilities do not accommodate the learners. The only people whose voices are heard are those with head office positions, nobody else matters. Their 'so-called American curriculum' is non-existent. Teachers have to source out a lot of their learning and teaching material which is not included in a teacher's salary. Teachers are not given time during working hours to prepare any work, therefore it means that a teacher must work outside of 9 hours as well as on weekends and school holidays which is unfair and unhealthy. They do not care about the future of South African children, this is just a money-making scheme. Many of these schools shouldn't even be operating based on health and safety standards. It's organisations like SPARK Schools that destroy our youth and kill the passion within our teachers.
Pros
Cons
Many
1,0
Fast growing organization with young inexperienced management and immature, ineffective systems. Policies are not consistently adhered to leading to the perception that management shows favouritism. Emphasis on affordability means constant budget issues that leads to immense frustrations - especially regarding teaching supplies, safety, security and maintenance. Employees are expected to work hard with little reward and and even less support.
Pros
Core values and Social emotional learning
Cons
Long hours, frustration due to lack of support, low salary
3,0
As a developing network of schools, SPARK was constantly changing and adapting while I was there. In some ways this was fun and exciting but in others it was highly frustrating. One thing I can compliment SPARK on was the curriculum, I taught Mathematics and we followed the PRIME textbook.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
long hours, no school counselor.
3,0
Kind hard working easy to adpat love to learn new things accept my mistakes and fix them I can work immediately and Im good with communication hence I want a job that I can be more contact with people
Pros
Free lunches
4,0
Spark schools in an amazing place to work where you are provided with opportunities to grow, great work culture and lively environment, It is a wonderful place for ambitious people.
Pros
Opportunity for growth
Cons
Salary could improve
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SPARK Schools?