SPARK Schools

Clear
2,5Work-Life Balance
2,6Pay & Benefits

Overwhelming workload

Spark schools is a good school. Stressful like any other school, however with this one the main stressful thing is not having time to yourself especially during the week. There are lot of expectations but not time to meet them. You should be at work as early as 7 and knock off as late as 16h00.

Pros

Growth

Cons

No benefits and long working hours

Peaceful working environment and caring

Spark school midrand is a greatest environment they treat people with respect and love they also give support in everything , it's a place where you can tell people about and the leadership are people who can share with them your problems actually everything it's fine I feel like I'm home 😊

Disrespectful towards teachers

They don't value teacher input have to be a robot for them to acknowledge you.The management is taught to treat people like they don't understand their roles as a teacher

Pros

Getting paid

Cons

Crazy long hours

Fast-paced work environment

Lots of in-house training opportunities. Job growth possible for all employees regardless of position.Good salary though no pension fund, medical aid, as yet.

Pros

Professional development

Cons

No pension fund

Draining and unsupportive environment

1.No work life balance2. Add additional work load but you are not compensated for it.3. Teacher turn-over is very high.4. Leadership is too young and lack experience.5. It's all about the numbers and not the people.6. Workload is too high with even higher working hours.7. Constantly refering to the school as a business8.Narrate to you how you should teach

Pros

Have good classroom management ideas in place

Cons

Salary Working hours Benefits

Extremely Overwhelming

1. Management does not care about their employees.2. Not great for gaining experience. 3. Very toxic work environment for a school.4. Unrealistic and unnecessary working hours.5. No professionalism in terms of planning ahead for school terms. 6. Parents have the upper hand. 7. Greatly underpaid. 8. They do not care about you as an employee.9. They are quick to make you sign a permanent contract thinking you will stay.10. Spark schools is an unhealthy working environment both mentally, emotionally and physically.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, payment, environment, professional, leadership and growth

Learning experience

It's a warm environment and the people are welcoming.You can learn new skills and experience a great feeling of belonging. I love that people don't let you fail, there's always someone ready to lend a helping hand.

Excellent

Great company and a lot of work You have to be dedicated in order for you to work in this company, you have to love kids make sure that they are safe at all times.

Fun workplace too competitive team wise

I love being at SPARK I would just like a more effective and fair working environment in terms of the team part of it. I feel i could be paid more as my job is the face of Spark Schools.

Unrealistic expectations and long hours

SPARK Schools is a great way to get involved as a new graduate that has no experience teaching, to hone your skills and teaching strategies to suit the SPARK model. Experienced teachers who want to teach to their own methodologies cannot shape to their own standards, but need to always be in line with the SPARK model, thus individuality is dismissed. The hours are very long - for teachers and for scholars.The school day ends at 4pm for all teaching staff; excluding prep after hours for the next day. Expectations for teachers are overwhelmingly unrealistic and the curriculum is never stagnant. Spark schools has no culture relevant to embracing South African culture and is somewhat neutral - instead SPARKS Fly is required every day where children dance and presume to say their Daily Creed, without any prayer as most schools do; which I think is unfortunate, because I don't believe our cultures should be celebrated only on Heritage Day. Teachers are not supported by the "Support" provided and parents are constantly in the dark. I do not think SPARK Schools is a great place to enroll children because the model does not cater for all learners. Struggling scholars will continue to struggle because the curriculum is too difficult. SPARK does not have any academic assistance such as class assistants or educational professionals i.e. educational psychologists, speech therapists, psychologists, etc. to guide them, and class sizes are too large for the academic rigor placed on teachers to perform successful teaching; neither are scholar assessments done for for any scholar being enrolled -

Pros

Learning a unique class culture

Cons

Long hours, excess workload

Friendly staff and nice enviroment

I'm loving this company. One feels at home and always fun and I love the interaction by management to staff. I would not work anywhsre else this is the best. Company I've worked for

Pros

Popcorn on friday

Cons

None so far

Major growth opportunities

Amazing learning and growth opportunities Great support from team Creative and innovative Changing the face of Education in South Africa Work-life balance can become a challenge

Challenging work place

Fast growing organization with young inexperienced management and immature, ineffective systems. Policies are not consistently adhered to leading to the perception that management shows favouritism. Emphasis on affordability means constant budget issues that leads to immense frustrations - especially regarding teaching supplies, safety, security and maintenance. Employees are expected to work hard with little reward and and even less support.

Pros

Core values and Social emotional learning

Cons

Long hours, frustration due to lack of support, low salary

Fun working environment

Design, write and utilize lesson plans conforming to school’s curriculum. I learned the importance of administration work and structured work formats The hardest part daily afternoon review meetings . Enjoyed most was seeing the joy in a child's face when they understand what you are teaching

Pros

family environment

Cons

Change is the only constant

As a developing network of schools, SPARK was constantly changing and adapting while I was there. In some ways this was fun and exciting but in others it was highly frustrating. One thing I can compliment SPARK on was the curriculum, I taught Mathematics and we followed the PRIME textbook.

Pros

Great salary

Cons

long hours, no school counselor.

It was a Good job but most management used favoritism

Kind hard working easy to adpat love to learn new things accept my mistakes and fix them I can work immediately and Im good with communication hence I want a job that I can be more contact with people

Pros

Free lunches

Interesting

I only recently started so there isn't much to say. But it is an enjoyable place to work. They are lively and actively trying to change the educational industry in the country, on the continent and across the globe.

A growing, nurturing but sometimes demanding school network

Working at Spark is generally positive and you'll find the positive attitudes infectious. The schools strive to implement a unique blend of flipped classroom models, learning modalities and professional development. The culture and focus on emotional growth is superb, however the schools are structured more to serve learners than teachers. Striking that balance is something they should work on for the future to address the quick turnover rates of teachers who cannot cope with the adjustment.

Pros

Excellent opportunities for growth and learning, high energy and nurturing environment, clear and involved management teams

Cons

Hours longer than usual for primary schools, work/life balance may be difficult to attain, lots of change to adapt to very quickly

Exhausting and Draining workplace

Mondays teachers work till 4pm and are given a 20 minute lunch break. During their lunch break, they have to drop their learners on the playground and then fetch them, so the 20 minute break is then only 10 minutes. No free time whatsoever for the teacher on Monday. The expectations get higher by management but salaries remain the same. Favoritism is high and the staff are disunited and do not collaborate as they have groups and each group or individual as their own agendas.The learners best interest is not really taken into consideration. The staff shows apathy and discourage others from working hard. The motto from the Principal is do not work hard but work smart.

Pros

Fridays leave at 3pm.

Cons

Long hours. Ridiculous expectations. Unprofessional and under qualified staff.

Productive and Fun Working Place

Spark schools in an amazing place to work where you are provided with opportunities to grow, great work culture and lively environment, It is a wonderful place for ambitious people.

Pros

Opportunity for growth

Cons

Salary could improve

Great workplace

Start the day with SPARKs fly (morning assesmbly) then transition to the first class at 8 which runs for an hour and 40 minutesthen a break for 20 minutes. Second class starts at 10 till 11.30 then the next class at 11.30 to 12. Then it is LUNCH TIME for 40 minutes After that I have the class I had before lunch for the next 40 minutes then another 30 minute break. Last class starts at 2 until 3.30pm then it is dismissal where kids are sent home. 4pm it is prep time till 4.30pm. I have learned to be productive and consistent during the course of the long day, the hardest part was to stay focused especially when I just started. The working environment was great,communication has always been amazing.

Pros

2 breaks

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPARK Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2,5 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance