Standard Bank
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Standard Bank Employee Reviews in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape

I learnt a lot from working in different departments. Great customer service culture. Diverse staff members and great comeraderie as you move from department to department.
Pros
Free supper, transport home in the evening, presents, trips, health checks
Cons
Late work, short breaks
It is a very competitive work environment as you can imagine. It’s a bank and you deal with peoples money but once you get the hang of your job responsibilities it becomes easier
The Standard Bank as an institution is a big institution with big ambitions lead by highly educated group of leaders. I would say workwise it is challenging because of the competition with other banks, the introduction of high technology 4th generation and the unrealistic targets that are given to employees. In terms of upskilling and learning The Standard Bank is very good at upskilling and educating the employees examples they run a lot of workshops and training for employee to be well equipped but some of employees lack self confidence to face the word. If ever the management can trust and invest on its own employee by paying them very well and also show appreciation by awarding employees with a descent awards that a person can be proud of that particular achievement. I don't have a hardest part on my job because I believe into learning new smart ideas and if I come across a challenge I refer to my line manager or we find solution as a team. I really like and enjoy helping people more especially if what ever customer was applying for gets approved, that makes me feel so good because I believe I have made a positive difference in a customers life.
I worked in a great supportive team and enjoyed be able to positively impact those around me. My team was very involved and transparent. We got along really well.
Very nice place to work at. Good benefits. They look after their employees. Good salaries. Customer Service is a priority. Great working environment.
Typical day at work go to work from 8am to 16:30pm, I have learned so many things since I started working for Standard Bank such as Customer Experience what I mean about that its not only for the benefit of the company to be kind to a person it goes along way that teaches you to be kind to people that you interact with on a daily basis and even to people you don't know, it has taught me to treat people fairly and not to discriminate, and has taught me about good values things that you grow up with at home but here its sort of putting stamp on them things like Honest and Integrity, respecting one another, etc. hardest part of the job is when you have to be the bearer of bad news to a client that you can't meet their specific needs at time, most enjoyable moments it's when you know that without a doubt you have done all that you needed to do for the client and the client is very pleased about your service.
Pros
we get 1 hour lunch and the time differs according to the day
Cons
We dont normally get over time. if it happens its an hour or so.
A company that invest in their employees with regards to personal growth and development. There are many opportunities for up skilling across various departments. I have been with this bank for 15 years and am extremely proud to work here. My blood remains blue!!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
There is none
Standard Bank is a predominantly service driven environment, but with strong emphasis on driving revenue in order to grow the bottom line. Management strives to make good business decisions. Discrimination and victimisation is not tolerated within the workplace and there is good diversity present. Job advancement is probably an area of development for the company.
Pros
good staff benefits
Cons
you come in the morning and have a check in session, then log in to service customers. i have learned a lot about how the bank works. the hardest part is irate customers.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
shifts
As a Business Manager, I was in charge of SME clients. Managing hybrid portfolio of Commercial and Agriculture Responsible for growing Economic Profit Compliance and Risk Credit application motivations Review of existing client base
Pros
Impacting business people positively
Cons
High pressure environment
Friendly environment and long hours, lots of assessments to do. Your achievement and contribution to the company is rewarded and great environment for personal growth and climbing the corporate ladder. Accommodating to Blacks and female managers.
Pros
Beyond Excellence awards
Cons
Deadlines are sometimes exaggerated and impossible to reach but overall fun workplace and friendly people. The Work culture can sometimes be relaxed. Not many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Perks regarding interest rates
Cons
Can be stressful
The work environment that I work in is suitable. the staff are very friendly and there is good team building. I am looking for something exciting and new to do. To be in a new environment and build more work experience .
Pros
n/a
Get to work at 08h00 check emails than respond to them prepare paperwork for the day, confirm appointments than call new clients so you can know what to do for tommorow
Pros
Commission
Cons
Sometimes clients dont want to listen
Good company to work for but no real growth oppertunities within the company for employees who show sales results or who want to grow. I do not have anything bad to say about Standard Bank as a company or the management within the branch i currently work with.
Pros
Nothing really
Cons
No acknowledgement from management.
This is a good place to start out. The learning environment is great, you get to work in team and build you confidence. There is room for growth , but one needs to take the initiative.
Pros
Cons
Job progression
Here I learnt how to engage with clients over the phone and increase my ability to close deals. The culture within the company is very ensuring and productive.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Long Hours
I enjoyed working there and having a opportunity to learn more about my strengths and weakness and meeting new individuals however if you are someone that has to help with money in the house this is not the job for you because you receive a allowance not a salary .And the 3000is not enough especially if you travel via public transport
Pros
Learnt the importance of teamwork
Cons
Had too work on holidays for long hours
I sit as Receptionist for Business Banking, dealing with walk in clients, meet & greet, ensuring a neat and clean reception area, ensuring that clients are referred to correct departments, Office Support, Administration. I have learned that professionalism & punctuality is a very important and high level character that one should have when dealing with people. My ability to work under pressure increases daily as I am not only focused on reception duties but is also exposed to multi tasking on a daily basis. I have also learned that Integrity is an important value as your word is your honour. The Organisation is strongly aware of workplace culture. The hardest part of the job is sales and targets and difficult clients at times, however the most enjoyable part of the job is administration and working as a team.
Pros
Connect Sessions
Cons
I am working 110 hours per cycle, meaning working 4.5 hours a day.
The experience I gained there was very relevant in the financial sector. The hours are not so good but the compensation makes up for it. It gets very busy but we manage very well.
Pros
The environment
Cons
Long working hours, no social life at all.
This was like a start of my caree i really enjoyed working for this company i learned a lot of things and i had so many trainings that were productive i would love to get a job again here
Pros
Sometimes
Cons
Weekends
  1. Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape