Standard Bank
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Standard Bank Employee Reviews for Manager

The bonus is GREAT. The pecks are great. The working hours are flexible if you are not client facing, work from home is allowed which is great for work life balance.
Pros
Bonus, reduced interest rates, work life balance is great. Some departments encourage work from home.
Cons
The structure is too layered.
Was employed at Standard Bank for close to 5 years. Survived 3 restructures / sec 189 processes. Yes the bank needs to move with the times and hence structure changes etc but very little support from the management once you are served with a sec 189 letter. Whilst working for SBSA applied for more than 100 internal vacancies with no success. Very poor career development and upskilling. When there is restructures and you don't have the skills to fit in, its almost like its your fault. Yet as an organisation they did not take the initiative to provide you with the training and skills required for the "jobs of the future"
Pros
Good Remuneration and Benefits
Cons
Restructuring and Uncertainty
Started off as an amazing company to work for. In recent years however the bank has lost its culture of caring about its customers and staff. The only thing that matters is making money/ profit at all costs.
I cannot disclose anything but this bank mistreated me, abused me emotionally mentally and put my children's lives in danger. They stick up for top mngt and dont care about junior mngt. There is corruption. All I can say is they nearly killed me and still kill me today
Pros
Cons
Bad mngt
Great value driven Organisation to work for. Highly professional and has good governance. The staff benefits are also very attractive. Relaxed work culture
Pros
Staff Benefits
Cons
I am dedicated and take corporate governance very seriously as no company should exist without proper effective controls. I believe strongly about regulatory requirements and code of banking practices being embedded into organizational structures. Anti Money Laundering, Enhanced Due Dilligence, Financial Intelligence Centre Act, Treating Customers Fairly, Protection of Personal Information Act, Delegation of Authority, correctly defined job descriptions and Certificates of Authority are all controls and regulatory requirements for effective Governance and risk mitigation. Use of Audit and Operational Risk controls of reporting and taking corrective actions promote proactive planning and constant business improvement. Use of the Identifying, Assessing, Measuring, Mending and Monitoring (IAMMM) process maintains an effective, robust, reliable and reputable work moral and ethical business environment.
Pros
Professional environment
Cons
Bonuses can be better
Arranging of all meetings between the client and the financial adviser, coordination of product events, singing up of client documents and policies, seeing and assisting clients when the FA is out, managing the FAs dairy and making all necessary transport arrangements. Following up on all client files, policies and general banking, doing all sorts of admin that was required by the management of SBFC, making sure that all paper work is up to date and FICA complaint
Pros
Team Catch Up
Cons
Flexi Hours
The company invest in employees. The culture is well balanced and good for career growth. The company offers a wide variety of job opportunities for employees to explore and grow in.
Advanced quickly and always received maximum salary increase offered by trade union. I was allowed to sell some of my leave for cash. My leave was ever increasing because the longer you are employed,more additional accumulative leave was awarded. I was given a business opportunity which I applied for and the results and income of my business was phenomenal. This was offered before Black Economic Empowerment was introduced.
Pros
Allowed to sell additional leave
Cons
Good people, benefits, culture and fun place to work. the environment is world class. The systems are impeccable, the processes are sleek and smart. This is truly a great company to work for
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Standard Bank?
Going to work was always a pleasant experience. There is a lot of opportunities to grow as employees are encouraged to ask questions and to come up with initiatives that will improve processes and help with customer service. Management beliefs in treating everyone fairly . Everyone beliefs that team work is what makes the Company successful. I was allowed to learn and grow within the Company and worked myself up to Management level.
Productive and fun environment I enjoy working in standard bank, there is security and allowances. The culture is good, spaces to grow and lots of fun.
Pros
allowance
Cons
distance from home to work
To provide pro-active business banking sales and service management function that will retain and grow a portfolio of SME customers by identifying and implement value added and specialized business banking financial Product solutions from a range of standard and customized offerings Managing a portfolio of 500 high valued Business customers. Promote and customize a range of appropriate bank products offerings. Provide financial solutions that meet the financial needs of SME clients.Provide Customer service quality and efficiency. On Lending support and risk management. People management- ensuring that work Standards and quality of work output targets are met and maintained. Ensure legislative compliance, portfolio profitability measured by contribution.
Cons
Starts at 6am Interaction, check in and morning greeting staff Day ahead planning, what can we do differently and as a team. Most enjoyable part is different people in team, we laern every day from each and also fact that we spend 90% of time at work the well being of people is key. Challenges allow us to grow and look at things differently continous improvement and adaptability to change management as change is ongoing.
Pros
Staff benefits, team building
Cons
Standard Bank is aglobal and modern organisation. Work and home balance is encouraged. I've learned a lot about people management, working in teams and diversity. Had a diverse team of 6 - it was challenging but worth the experience. The hardest part of the job was where the boundaries in terms of work relationship crossed and had to be firm to address issues. I enjoy team building exercises as these are a major part of strengthning relationships between team members. I also enjoy the level of trust and accountability given when running with tasks.
Pros
subsidised gym, canteen facilities, staff shuttle service from Parkstation to Head Office, discounted rates on HL, Vehicle finance as well as 80% reduction on bank charges
I am happy at present, i have learned a lot since i joined the company, management have been supportive including my co-workers, when we have an outage it's a very difficult day in the office on the other hand doing your job without being pushed it's a very nice environment
Pros
Have to by your own lunch
Cons
Normal working hours
My strengths with the technical (IT) systems are used extensively within Standard Bank (SBSA) on a daily basis. I have been allowed to use my initiative with SBSA in the persuit of ensuring the contunued growth and stabilty of the systems where I have been positioned. As part of the management team within SBSA, I have worked with many knowledgable and skilled managers who have faced the challenges of the competitive Soth African market with a drive to exceed said competition. I have also been fortunate to be involved with several capable and hard-working co-workers who have ensured the continued growth of SBSA. The hardest part of the job is excessive 'red tape' which does hamper growth and enhancement. While governance is a necessary part of any business environment, excessive governance can be the undoing of any business. The challenges I face daily, especially related to the technical aspects of my position, are a motivator to myself. These challenges are often complex and provide me with a lot of personal satisfaction (especially when resolved).
Pros
Flexiable working times
Cons
Excessive governance
I Loved working at standard bank, i learnt alot and moved to and fro different companies, i only left standard bank because i had a better oppertunity to groe myself in teh insurance industry.
Pros
All Banking Benefits, staff rates etc
Cons
Stagnation
Daily duties as as follows:Managing staff.Administration duties.Performance management.Authorise and approve documents and other.Maintain quality documents.Liaise with top management 1st and 2nd level.Prepare and attend meetings with top management and department management.Coordinate projects.Oversee and control the entire Quality Management System.Oversee Internal auditors and duties.Oversee Document Controllers and duties.I have been in a management role for the last 5 years. I have previously control staff when I performed the team leader role for more than 6 years, but controlling staff is a part that never gets easier and one has to keep reshaping and take control and manage each challenge.I enjoy successes more than failures, but what I like about failures,is that I always learn from my mistakes and see it as a challenge, whereby I try to strategise different routes the following time and then measure myself at the end of the road...these are some of my enjoyable moments/periods. Setting stretch goals and be able to measure areas for improvement.Ensuring that our customers are happy at the end of the day, prioriotise and focus at all times on our services rendered, the service should be one of the best and with the best we have to pratice quality.My role as Management Representative is to see that our external auditors are happy with the company and that we are following the expectation of the ISO standard.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Extensive opportunities to sharpen networking skills. exposure to all business units including Africa interacting al all levels. loved working in the head office environment. attended meetings for most of my day engaging with business units in support of procedural requirements.
Pros
built great network across head office
Cons
working to tight deadlines