Starbucks

Starbucks Employee Reviews in New York, NY

New York, NY1 423 reviews

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 1 423 reviews matching the searchSee all 53 516 reviews

Not the best place to work

Not nice customers. Management is not good 8 hour shifts feel like forever. Would not recommend. It’s just a job nothing special . Just do your job and go

Fun place to work

Never minded showing up to work because we always had a good time! Despite working at one of the busiest Starbucks locations nationally. Management was very supportive and despite knowing nothing about coffee everyone helped me learn quickly.

Official response from Starbucks

1 July 2022
Thank you for providing feedback. We appreciate your input and are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your overall partner experience!

alright

was fun at first but can be really stressful especially when you are left by yourself. Also can be a pain if managers don't give you the hours you want especially

Pros

good first job

Cons

stressful

Fun job just the people there are horrible mangers and all

The managers at all stores are rude phony and unprofessional they are not for the people that work for them and if they don’t like you they will fire you for stupid reasons

eh

it is ok changing positions, or moving up in the company, than you.Lastly, it's an extremely hot and cold job, ranging from times when you're mandated overtime to times when they are literally begging people to just stay home due to lack of work. In other words, the hours are wildly inconsistent

Fun place for people just starting in the work world

Starbucks is a great company, and I met s many friendly people, from coworkers to customers. Management is great and the pay is worth it if you are young with no responsibilities.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

short breaks

Fairly good

It is a good place with very few activities happening. My manager can rarely be seen and when he does, he barely talks to the employees, However, i enjoyed my time there since the employees were good company to hang around with.

Pros

Free coffee

Does Not Value Long-Term Employee Happiness or Retention

This is a very fast-paced, high-stress job that does require legitimate skill (learning beverage builds and how to make drinks quickly and accurately takes months, and that's if someone ever truly gets good at it to begin with). None of this is reflected in your pay, hours, or communication with higher ups. If you desperately need the health insurance or if you've got another way to pay the bills and just like free coffee, then go for it. But if you're expecting to work somewhere that actually recognizes and rewards hard, skilled labor then this isn't the place.

Awesome Company

I can’t think of anything negative to say about the company. Great benefits, stock options. They truly care about you and it shows. They encourage you to reach your full potential and reward you for every success. I loved my time there and would go back in a NY minute.

Good team work and management

Enjoyed working with everyone. I love learning about the drinks and people around me. Management was supportive and encouraging. I highly recommend this place.

Pros

culture

Cons

short staff

No Balance

You are always on the clock as a Store Manager and you will receive phone calls and texts at all hours of the day/night on your personal phone with no reimbursement because staffing and call outs are "your responsibility". The amount of hours given to run your store is often not enough and you spend most of your time supporting the floor which leaves you having to work extra to get your tasks complete. The company will tell you that "time worked is time paid" and then give you a laptop that ensures you are connected and available at all times. The benefits and the bonuses are great but the toll on your mental health is not worth it!

It’s what you’d expect

Fine pay and fast paced work environment. Good place to make friends with coworkers but management and customers can be difficult sometimes. Overall I enjoyed my time there

Management is all over the place and it's filled with people who lack basic understanding and empathy of wage employees.

Workplace culture was great, honestly loved the baristas/partners I've worked with but management was honestly a constant pain.Management spends most of their shift on the floor chatting amongst one another and just not very helpful or productive in general.Lots of unwarranted feedback/constructive criticism, they have a bad habit of pulling shift leaders or baristas alike during busy morning or lunch hours just to discuss topics or feedback with them when we clearly have things like pre-shifts to discuss said matters.Management also lacks empathy and just in general can be jerks and unprofessional at times. Too many times I had to console upset or crying baristas because of management.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Management is unprofessional and unproductive, no work-life balance, store operation hours are too long.

Fun to work, low pay

Fun to work, low pay. Unions could help balance the workload among the staff and increase pay. Management always demanded more with less, need to hire more staff

Pros

Free drinks

Cons

Demanding time

Eh

It can be good and it can be bad. It’s just very tiring and your mental health will always be on the line when you’re working. Warped sense of security when it comes to employees when there’s nothing to protect us.

Lots of work

Did not work here long due to circumstances, but would recommend for those just joining the workforce.- Good benefits, despite low pay- Tons of work- Short Training Period- Community amongst staff

Fantastic company with plenty of benefits. low paytoo much workindividuals in higher positions dont know what they are doingtoxic work environmentsd

Fun place to work at

Overall working at Starbucks fun, and there’s always room for growth. Just do your job and you’ll be fine. Theres a lot of opportunities to help you and they do care about their workers

Pros

Cares about workers

fun

fun vibrant gig, enjoyed it very heavy work sometimes but with the right team the days fly. Management in my experience was extremely supportive which is needed in an fast paced environment like this.

Official response from Starbucks

13 April 2022
Thank you for providing feedback. We appreciate your input and are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your partner experience!

Just a job

It was fine. Australian compensation is much much better than compensation in the US. Kind of always felt like every day there was some sort of predictable crisis - like a morning rush, afternoon rush and then everyone is panicking because there's not enough people working, not enough supplies, etc etc. This happens everyday instead of learning from those situations and properly staffing and stocking for those moments.

Shift supervisor

Overall, it was rewarding. Advancement in the company is hard. False promises of promotion made it seem like I was suck. Work life balance was difficult to achieve and it was stressful and lots of demands.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Based on 53 516 reviews