Stellenbosch University
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Stellenbosch University Employee Reviews

South Africa122 reviews

3,9Work-Life Balance

Fun to help students learn

The experience of being a Demi is a great way to earn abit of cash while helping students to not make the mistakes you might have. While admittedly the pay is not alot, it's a flexible environment and it's satisfying to see students finally click with a technique or problem.

Straight Forward

Depends on the course and lecturer. Usually only required to work once a week, and duties include marking and assisting tuts/practicals. More often than note, the TA or lecturer handles the admin

Pros

Easy

Cons

Low hourly rate

Career suicide to work for them

It is the most worst mistake of my life working for them. They are not transformed and they have a long way to go. Immature individuals especially management

Pretty chilled and worth it

The job requires the bare minimum and you get paid that. Its a pleasure to do because of the students. I have no regrets on wish it paid just a little more.

A very integrated place to work at. Overall very layedback/relaxed yet fast paced at the same time.

A very integrated place to work at, everything you need is nearby e.g. equipment, facilities and expertise. Very layedback/relaxed working environment, yet fast paced at the same time.

Pros

Very well integrated (everything you need is nearby e.g. equipment and facilities)

Productive and Fun Workplace

Stellenbosch University is a productive and fun workplace. I learnt a lot on this particular project. We were paid an excellent salary for the period of the project. I will definitely work there again given the opportunity.

Pros

Free Lunches during training

Relaxed working environment.

Chilled and relaxed environment. Understanding management. Got a university feel to it. Not strict with working hours. Always help available. Friendly staff.

Pros

Relatable employees and relaxed management

Cons

Low pay

Very productive and informative

Sometimes start with a brief session on new development. suggestion on way forward. respond to emails inquiries and while providing administrative support and client services

Productive workplace

Excellent academic Institution, among the three best in the continent, and among the top 300 Universities in the world According to Shangai rranking. Competent staffs. I am proud and grateful to my study leaders, who gave me to have an experience as teaching assistant, during my Doctoral studies.

Fun and competitive workplace

A typical day at work is fun and exciting. I learn new things everyday from my peers. My boss is understanding and compassionate. The workplace culture is inclusive.

I loved my team and my Mentor/ Manager

I had a great experience with Stellenbosch University. I had a great mentor and a great team. I know not everyone might have a great experience. It is certainly hard work and time consuming but I did love what I did back then.

Stellenbosch peers are very organized and helpful. They have an excellent learning environment with collaborative personnel. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students.

Pros

Organized

Cons

Besides lecturing schedule, there is no fixed work-time (flexible hours). However, academia is results driven, and as such most days are spent in the laboratory (10+ hours per day).

Satisfied

Colleagues are professional and friendly. Good team work exists among personnel. The University has good systems and policies in place which make working as an administrator very easy and rewarding.

productive and teaching environment

there is less pressure and they let you do your job as a physio. you have ability to operofm your own duties and make sure that you do the best of your abilities. the staff is juat fun to be around warm and welcoming and very considerate. activities are well organised and the time schedules are always up to date

Frustrating and relaxed

I worked at the department of client services, which is typically relaxed and casual. However, it was the start of the new academic year so it was demanding and challenging. I learned how to work with many diverse clients and to always be professional, communicative, calm and helpful. I learned that I flourish within a well structured work environment that brings more challenges and the ability to solve problems directly. I loved working under a leadership style that gives me autonomy.

Intellectually stimulating and challenging working environment with a great job location

A typical work day started early and was filled with interaction with students and academics. My job pushed me to challenge myself and presented troubleshooting on a daily basis. Time management and prioritisation was two important elements of my job which was fast paced. The campus culture allowed for growth opportunities. Management was supportive.

Decent culture

The place had a decent culture surrounding campus. The social life was rich and rewarding. My academic modules were challenging enough, and I had enough free time

Productive but stressfull at times

Busy day solving research related queries about research activities in communities, learnt patience in managing field workers and explaining research to community members who did not understand scientific research and its principles. I enjoyed community events where I got exposure to different cultures within the diverse communities we worked in.The hardest job was dealing with communities who have different political ideologies as this affected the research activities within those communities.

Productive and fun place!

Wonderful space for students to start getting some work experience while studying. Learning how to time management everything in your life and actually feeling like you are contributing towards a team.

Stimulating environment

I enjoy working at Stellenbosch University. It is a fast-paced, stimulating environment and I love sharing my work space with so many knowledgeable people. Our management in the division strives to offer training and growth opportunities to team members and encourages a caring workplace culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stellenbosch University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance