Stellenbosch University

Stellenbosch University Employee Reviews for Lecturer

Lecturer4 reviews
South Africa4 reviews
4,0
As a full-time employee, you will enjoy a great salary in one of the most beautiful towns in the world. Benefits are excellent.

However, part-time employment does not cover basic cost of living, often requires more hours than are actually paid for, and come with zero job security.

Furthermore, university structures systemically exclude part-time employees from management structures or decision making processes, so that part-time employees cannot take part in processes that influence their future work.
Pros
beautiful town, easy to get about, close to nearby attractions.
Cons
lack of benefits, lack of security, lack of respect for expertise.
5,0
I spent most of my time marking, preparing lectures, and teaching very many lectures per week. The students are from very privileged backgrounds but were extremely hard working and devoted.
Pros
Wonderful place to work
Cons
Some colleagues were rather hide bound.
5,0
Stunning town and great student body. Lovely place for anybody interested in an academic career. Research opportunities are great and the hardest part of the job is keeping the students actively engaged.
3,0
My main duties are lecturing students which I love doing, but the quality of students has been decreasing steadily over the years. I have been a lecturer here for 17 years. I also have to fit in time for research which is quite difficult.
Pros
Job security to some extent
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Stellenbosch University?