Stellenbosch University
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Stellenbosch University Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Chilled and relaxed environment. Understanding management. Got a university feel to it. Not strict with working hours. Always help available. Friendly staff.
Pros
Relatable employees and relaxed management
Cons
Low pay
I had a great experience with Stellenbosch University. I had a great mentor and a great team. I know not everyone might have a great experience. It is certainly hard work and time consuming but I did love what I did back then.
They the ability to train young growing engineer and they have a disciplined culture which I embrace from them. I learned how to identify and diagnose the issue and bring about an innovative approach to the solution. I was able to be a creative and imaginative thinker, with the ability to see the bigger picture in a strategic manner and set achievable objectives.
A typical day at work was quite involving and required a lot of planning and execution. It helped to cultivate an attitude of careful planning and organizational attitude. Also, the work environment resulted in a good social and inter-personal relationships between workers and customers. The hardest part of work was finding a suitable place and time to fit in impromptu work but we usually ended up finding a way even during stressful and hectic days. Nevertheless, the opportunity to relate with others and help them solve their queries brought joy to us and made it worth it.
Stellenbosch University if one of the leading institution of learning in south Africa. The university has the largest Department of Chemistry in the country. The consolidoc program offered by the university is an agglomeration of a post doctoral training and a PhD training and is a one of a kind.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
6 months program
I worked at this institute while studying at Stellenbosch Univeristy over the course of 2016. I engaged research on a more practical level as I compiled a database of invasive species. I learnt a great deal about literature based publications and well as working with my colleges in order to promote productive working within the office. This was also the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job.
Pros
Office space
Cons
Meet new people, learn about their activities and survival skills. Interacting with colleagues in fun and relaxed environment sharing jokes and working hard at the same time.
Every department is different. Different politics, different drama. Tygerberg Medical Physiology is a peaceful environment with a lot of downtime. Socialising is key to make the most of the more than 10 nationalities working together on projects. Very diverse and a thought stimulating workplace. Personal responsibility need to be taken for duties, which comes with the freedom. Worked alongside 50 different people on a yearly basis, gaining a multitude of insight from each person. Hardest part is limited funds available to make research more efficient. I enjoyed the people most of all, which made the work easier to manage, and the personal trust given to experiment with new laboratory practices. Very thankful to have been exposed to a frictionless workplace early in my career .
Pros
Free Time
Cons
Too slow
As a research assistant I have learnt how to work with various types of people (students, lecturers and co-workers) who may be easy going or considered difficult people). I have learnt how to manage my time and get tasks done quickly and efficiently. I enjoy working with people (students, lecturers, other admin staff, co-workers) and assisting them in any way possible so that our work environment continues to be productive and a pleasurable place to work. I have learnt a lot about myself and what I am capable of doing and what I enjoy doing in a work environment. A typical day may include capturing attendance or results from assignments or tests. Assisting lecturers with research. Engaging with students and co-workers.
Pros
Flexibility