Stellenbosch University

Tutor14 reviews
South Africa14 reviews

3,9Work-Life Balance

Collaborative and collegial

No concerns with the department. Lots of support provided for tutors and instructors. Flexible and hybrid work configurations. Lots of autonomy and room for growth.

An environment for growth

Stellenbosch university provides one with the opportunity to grow and establish networks. working with the department, it was interesting to see how different the sub-department functioned as one to ensure that the students are trained and helped in ways that would see them become future thinkers and active members of the society.

Flexible hours

I only worked as a tutor and assistant but the hours are good since you can select when you want to work and you are always paid on time. It is also not a formal environment so you can swop shifts with others if you cannot make your slot

Good

Job hours were fair for everyone. Job description was well put. Management was great. The balance between studies and work was Good, it just needed your time management.

Tutor medical, physiotherapy and occupational therapy students from years one to three

Learnt a lot from tutoring the way I did. Required lot of l tours of work and students from tertiary and secondary education facilities. Interactions with different people of different professionals allowed for increased growth

Pros

Experience

Cons

Not specified times

productive

Tutor students, people learn differently because they are different. management was good the culture was ok balancing between work and my studies free lunch during meetings

Pros

challenge

Cons

low salary

Harmonious working environment

I thoroughly enjoyed working with the department of Economics at Stellenbosch University as a tutor. The department, as the management in this regard, made it very easy for us to do our work properly. I was provided with all that I thought I needed and beyond that. The training provided was of a fairly good standard. There was also enough time for me to work on tutoring, lecturing, my academic work, and also to partake in things I like, for example, working out and playing football.

Educative and diverse

Being a tutor at Stellies was an enjoyable experience. The supervision was minimal which allowed you to grow in your own space. It gave me my first opportunity at learning how to deal with people. While I did not get official feedback from the lecturers whose modules I helped tutor, I did get the overall impression from the students that my presence and skill were helpful to their studies

Experience

The opportunity to help students who needs extra support has helped me to think on my feet and understand how other students think. The support from the supervisor was very helpful and the students very friendly.

Easy Student Job

We had covered many of the aspects required to complete the job, This made tutoring certain courses very easy and required minimal set-up time. It was a very rewarding experience as I enjoyed the interaction opportunity with the various students.

Pros

Interaction

Cons

Marking papers

Co-ordinations and Tutoring

Making sure all tutors are on time, overseeing schedules and meetings with lecturers. Making sure that there is constant communication between students, tutors and lecturer. Admin duties. Marking of essays.

Pros

Flexible hours

open learning place

It is the best place to broaden ones' life plans. The most enjoyable part of the work is the ability to work and meet with people from different walks of life.

Pros

meeting new people

Cons

less time for fun

Christine Loxton - Tutor Assistant

As a tutor I have learned many skills and I really enjoyed working for the University. We were a great team working together. I have outstanding organizing skills and I am a creative thinker. Being a tutor has also learned me to understand and respect different types of people in many different environments. I have greatly improved my ability to see a problem from different points of view before choosing an appropriate solution.

Pros

Working with people

Fun teaching environment

Working within a tutoring environment showed me how great it was to teach. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the students and helping them reach their full potential within the discipline of psychology. A typical day at work would consist of presenting classes and working with students. This working environment taught me to work within a structured environment and sharpened my organisational and interpersonal skills. My co-workers were easy to work with, friendly and dependable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stellenbosch University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9 out of 5 stars for Work/Life Balance
3,4 out of 5 stars for Salary/Benefits
3,3 out of 5 stars for Job Security/Advancement
3,7 out of 5 stars for Management
3,9 out of 5 stars for Culture
  • Stellenbosch University
  • Tutor
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?