Stellenbosch University
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Stellenbosch University Culture reviews

A typical day at work is fun and exciting. I learn new things everyday from my peers. My boss is understanding and compassionate. The workplace culture is inclusive.
I had a great experience with Stellenbosch University. I had a great mentor and a great team. I know not everyone might have a great experience. It is certainly hard work and time consuming but I did love what I did back then.
A typical work day started early and was filled with interaction with students and academics. My job pushed me to challenge myself and presented troubleshooting on a daily basis. Time management and prioritisation was two important elements of my job which was fast paced. The campus culture allowed for growth opportunities. Management was supportive.
The place had a decent culture surrounding campus. The social life was rich and rewarding. My academic modules were challenging enough, and I had enough free time
Busy day solving research related queries about research activities in communities, learnt patience in managing field workers and explaining research to community members who did not understand scientific research and its principles. I enjoyed community events where I got exposure to different cultures within the diverse communities we worked in.The hardest job was dealing with communities who have different political ideologies as this affected the research activities within those communities.
I enjoy working at Stellenbosch University. It is a fast-paced, stimulating environment and I love sharing my work space with so many knowledgeable people. Our management in the division strives to offer training and growth opportunities to team members and encourages a caring workplace culture.
They the ability to train young growing engineer and they have a disciplined culture which I embrace from them. I learned how to identify and diagnose the issue and bring about an innovative approach to the solution. I was able to be a creative and imaginative thinker, with the ability to see the bigger picture in a strategic manner and set achievable objectives.
Being part of the 2015/2016 House Committee had various challenges related to politics and safety such as the Fees Must Fall Movement. Besides that, as a team, we learnt to manage, motivate, support and lead a residence of over a 150 women that is strong minded, driven and diverse. It was fun to be part of such a dynamic and diverse residence but it was also challenging to balance both the studies, leadership and social activities. However, I learnt a lot about myself and the above mentioned skills and for that I am grateful. I have used these skills in both life and work and it has changed my manner of thinking and approaching any situation.
The institution allowed for development and growth bur work progress lacked. Management structures show minimal diversity and the work culture also needs to vast improvement. What i enjoyed about my employment period there was the fact that i could help students whom was in need- supporting them through accurate completion of application forms. I also enjoyed working with my immediate staff- since we worked as a team and the Manager also followed that pattern- all were treated the same- no levels.
Pros
End of year functions
Cons
No work progression
I served 4 years as a Student Leader. I was exposed to many opportunities to grow, develop and nurture my leadership skills. I also was blessed to travel through Think Tank's and my studies. Stellenbosch University truly is a great place for students to develop themselves!
Pros
Great opportunity to grow and gain life experiences
Cons
Culture of the campus does not resemble that of South Africa's diversity.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Stellenbosch University?
The work environment is very relaxed and friendly. The atmosphere and the products you sell are inspiring but the pay is not adequate enough to sustain.
The university is situated in a beautiful location between the vineyards and mountains. Colleagues are very friendly and you enjoy a good work-life balance. Support systems are in place, but you are completely in charge of driving your career.
Tutor students, people learn differently because they are different. management was good the culture was ok balancing between work and my studies free lunch during meetings
Pros
challenge
Cons
low salary
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the department of Economics at Stellenbosch University as a tutor. The department, as the management in this regard, made it very easy for us to do our work properly. I was provided with all that I thought I needed and beyond that. The training provided was of a fairly good standard. There was also enough time for me to work on tutoring, lecturing, my academic work, and also to partake in things I like, for example, working out and playing football.
Helpful staff and co-workers combined with well equipped facilities. The opportunity helped me to develop excellent communication and time management skills. I also learned how to work well with people and incorporate different ideas and opinions towards the successful outcome of a project.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
After hours marking
Very challenging work environment, productive and fun to work offering a lot of development Team work orientated and very close relationship on management side. Working very far from the facilities that we were supporting The job offered a lot of opportunity
Pros
Paid studies
Cons
Flexible hours
Stellenbosch University offers a world class tertiary education in South Africa. With unique opportunities to study ecology, agriculture and natural sciences I enjoyed learning from experts in these fields.
Pros
amazing campus lifestyle, wonderful sport facilities
Excellent employer once permanent position is secured. Very high quality tertiary education institution. Culture of development of employees definitely a plus.
When i get to work people are friendly and polite. The first thing i do when i get to my office is have a cup of coffee.The hardest part of my job is when you have to be in 3 places at the same time.Managers and co-workers are all respectful.I enjoy my job because i learn something new each day.
Pros
good place
Cons
no overtime
This was a really fun experience, you get to do what you love, meeting new people and getting to know how to deal with different personalities. I enjoyed working for Stellenbosch. Incredible bosses and loving co workers.
Pros
Free lunches and good salary
Cons
Long hours and standing most of the day
Coming to work with positive attitude, working in really good conditions and environment overall. Seeing that you spend most of your time at the office I've learned that you need to make the most of it and help building a positive and healthy office atmosphere. Management normally support us as staff and help us in staying positive and focused. Co workers normally friendly and helpful and also adds to you being positive about your workplace. The hardest part of my job is that you cannot really plan your day, you try to, but when you get here, there's always some stuff that you need to attend to first or some problem that must be resolved, which normally takes up time, and in the end you day did not go as you planned. Enjoyable part is being in a senior position in my department, gives me some flexi time and allows me to delegate, which makes things easier for me.
Pros
Flexi time, space for career growth.
Cons
Nothing really