Stellenbosch University
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Stellenbosch University Job Security & Advancement reviews

A typical day at work is fun and exciting. I learn new things everyday from my peers. My boss is understanding and compassionate. The workplace culture is inclusive.
The place had a decent culture surrounding campus. The social life was rich and rewarding. My academic modules were challenging enough, and I had enough free time
Wonderful space for students to start getting some work experience while studying. Learning how to time management everything in your life and actually feeling like you are contributing towards a team.
During my time with the company I had two different leadership roles. In both these positions I was allowed to take responsibility for the projects and programs that I wanted to develop and employ. Great learning opportunity. Highly recommend.
No benefit for contract workers, must have contract for 2 years and up to have benefits. Business Management always busy, due to function they beform.
Stellenbosch university provides one with the opportunity to grow and establish networks. working with the department, it was interesting to see how different the sub-department functioned as one to ensure that the students are trained and helped in ways that would see them become future thinkers and active members of the society.
The institution allowed for development and growth bur work progress lacked. Management structures show minimal diversity and the work culture also needs to vast improvement. What i enjoyed about my employment period there was the fact that i could help students whom was in need- supporting them through accurate completion of application forms. I also enjoyed working with my immediate staff- since we worked as a team and the Manager also followed that pattern- all were treated the same- no levels.
Pros
End of year functions
Cons
No work progression
As a full-time employee, you will enjoy a great salary in one of the most beautiful towns in the world. Benefits are excellent. However, part-time employment does not cover basic cost of living, often requires more hours than are actually paid for, and come with zero job security. Furthermore, university structures systemically exclude part-time employees from management structures or decision making processes, so that part-time employees cannot take part in processes that influence their future work.
Pros
beautiful town, easy to get about, close to nearby attractions.
Cons
lack of benefits, lack of security, lack of respect for expertise.
Stellenbosch University supports the staff to remain in the university through providing inclusive benefits, remuneration and career opportunities and academic freedom.
Handling first years, seniors students, staff and organisations to create a holistic, fun-filled and valuable experience for house members was a day-to-day thought process. Orientation week itself is a grueling time, the year following requires resilience, determination, fresh ideas and adaptability. Things are easy to change when you can change people's minds - or offer some kindness.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Stellenbosch University?
I served 4 years as a Student Leader. I was exposed to many opportunities to grow, develop and nurture my leadership skills. I also was blessed to travel through Think Tank's and my studies. Stellenbosch University truly is a great place for students to develop themselves!
Pros
Great opportunity to grow and gain life experiences
Cons
Culture of the campus does not resemble that of South Africa's diversity.
Nice place to learn new technologies, new research methods, competetive payment, structured leaves, helpful colleagues, good environment, nice infrastructure.
The university is situated in a beautiful location between the vineyards and mountains. Colleagues are very friendly and you enjoy a good work-life balance. Support systems are in place, but you are completely in charge of driving your career.
I was but a student when I started there. I gained so much experience working there, it stretched me an enabled me to go beyond what I thought I was capable of. The work environment work fun but productive. It was really great opportunity to put my IT training into practice along with business, project management and skill development practices.
Stellenbosch University offers a teaching assistant position for each faculty. It is a wonderful position to develop academic administrative skills. All employees are friendly and those with higher positions are open and willing to share information. The position has very little micromanagement and keeping to personal deadlines are key, but work freedom is refreshing
Job hours were fair for everyone. Job description was well put. Management was great. The balance between studies and work was Good, it just needed your time management.
Learnt a lot from tutoring the way I did. Required lot of l tours of work and students from tertiary and secondary education facilities. Interactions with different people of different professionals allowed for increased growth
Pros
Experience
Cons
Not specified times
It's a university, you get paid badly but get to work on projects of your own choice. There is minimal pressure and room expand your personal academic growth.
Pros
Low pressure
Cons
Low pay
Creates room to grow and development. Encourages self empowerment and personal development. Skillful courses available online and facilitators very well trained.
Pros
Oppertunities available for growth.
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the department of Economics at Stellenbosch University as a tutor. The department, as the management in this regard, made it very easy for us to do our work properly. I was provided with all that I thought I needed and beyond that. The training provided was of a fairly good standard. There was also enough time for me to work on tutoring, lecturing, my academic work, and also to partake in things I like, for example, working out and playing football.
Stunning town and great student body. Lovely place for anybody interested in an academic career. Research opportunities are great and the hardest part of the job is keeping the students actively engaged.