Stellenbosch University

Stellenbosch University Management reviews

South Africa115 reviews
4,0
A typical work day started early and was filled with interaction with students and academics. My job pushed me to challenge myself and presented troubleshooting on a daily basis. Time management and prioritisation was two important elements of my job which was fast paced. The campus culture allowed for growth opportunities. Management was supportive.
5,0
Wonderful space for students to start getting some work experience while studying. Learning how to time management everything in your life and actually feeling like you are contributing towards a team.
4,0
I enjoy working at Stellenbosch University. It is a fast-paced, stimulating environment and I love sharing my work space with so many knowledgeable people. Our management in the division strives to offer training and growth opportunities to team members and encourages a caring workplace culture.
3,0
Friendly workplace. A typical day at work is productive and fruitful. Management is ready to help and planning is required from all employees. I enjoy working with people.
4,0
No benefit for contract workers, must have contract for 2 years and up to have benefits. Business Management always busy, due to function they beform.
1,0
The institution allowed for development and growth bur work progress lacked.
Management structures show minimal diversity and the work culture also needs to vast improvement.

What i enjoyed about my employment period there was the fact that i could help students whom was in need- supporting them through accurate completion of application forms.

I also enjoyed working with my immediate staff- since we worked as a team and the Manager also followed that pattern- all were treated the same- no levels.
Pros
End of year functions
Cons
No work progression
4,0
As a full-time employee, you will enjoy a great salary in one of the most beautiful towns in the world. Benefits are excellent.

However, part-time employment does not cover basic cost of living, often requires more hours than are actually paid for, and come with zero job security.

Furthermore, university structures systemically exclude part-time employees from management structures or decision making processes, so that part-time employees cannot take part in processes that influence their future work.
Pros
beautiful town, easy to get about, close to nearby attractions.
Cons
lack of benefits, lack of security, lack of respect for expertise.
4,0
My typical day at work would include performing general administrative tasks such as updating students marks; obtaining quotes for various lab equipment and stationary needed; and working through lecturing and practical schedules. I enjoy working at this university. I have been given an amazing opportunity to learn and grow both professionally and personally. demonstrating undergraduate chemistry students, the job help us to remember the basics and principles of chemistry. The management is good. The hardest part of my job would probably be having to deal with difficult or disruptive students in the lab.The most enjoyable part of my job is being in a position where I am able to teach new first year students about basic lab techniques and prepare them for the work environment.
Pros
Free lab coats
4,0
I was but a student when I started there. I gained so much experience working there, it stretched me an enabled me to go beyond what I thought I was capable of. The work environment work fun but productive. It was really great opportunity to put my IT training into practice along with business, project management and skill development practices.
4,0
Stellenbosch University offers a teaching assistant position for each faculty. It is a wonderful position to develop academic administrative skills. All employees are friendly and those with higher positions are open and willing to share information. The position has very little micromanagement and keeping to personal deadlines are key, but work freedom is refreshing
5,0
Since I was a post-graduate student, I was able to do this job. I enjoyed the invigilation, marking and moderating very much. It can become time consuming, but management and the staff always seem to be fairly reasonable.
4,0
Job hours were fair for everyone. Job description was well put. Management was great. The balance between studies and work was Good, it just needed your time management.
3,0
Tutor students,
people learn differently because they are different.

management was good
the culture was ok
balancing between work and my studies

free lunch during meetings
Pros
challenge
Cons
low salary
5,0
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the department of Economics at Stellenbosch University as a tutor. The department, as the management in this regard, made it very easy for us to do our work properly. I was provided with all that I thought I needed and beyond that. The training provided was of a fairly good standard. There was also enough time for me to work on tutoring, lecturing, my academic work, and also to partake in things I like, for example, working out and playing football.
5,0
Helpful staff and co-workers combined with well equipped facilities. The opportunity helped me to develop excellent communication and time management skills. I also learned how to work well with people and incorporate different ideas and opinions towards the successful outcome of a project.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
After hours marking
4,0
Very challenging work environment, productive and fun to work offering a lot of development

Team work orientated and very close relationship on management side.

Working very far from the facilities that we were supporting

The job offered a lot of opportunity
Pros
Paid studies
Cons
Flexible hours
5,0
Great environment to be at and grow. Offers learning opportunities and exposure. A normal day comprises of multiskilling of tasks, project management, research objectives,
5,0
Stellenbosch University has taught how to work hard on my own and as a team member. It forced me to learn time management in order to succeed academicaly while still enjoying life as a student.
4,0
Coming to work with positive attitude, working in really good conditions and environment overall. Seeing that you spend most of your time at the office I've learned that you need to make the most of it and help building a positive and healthy office atmosphere. Management normally support us as staff and help us in staying positive and focused. Co workers normally friendly and helpful and also adds to you being positive about your workplace. The hardest part of my job is that you cannot really plan your day, you try to, but when you get here, there's always some stuff that you need to attend to first or some problem that must be resolved, which normally takes up time, and in the end you day did not go as you planned. Enjoyable part is being in a senior position in my department, gives me some flexi time and allows me to delegate, which makes things easier for me.
Pros
Flexi time, space for career growth.
Cons
Nothing really
5,0
Generally a typical day will start before 08:00 am around a nice hot coffee with lectures and co-workers while chatting. After, each person will deeply submerge into his/her tasks until 13:00 pm for the so called lunch time for about 1 hour, then the work will continue until 17:00.

With this job, I learnt how the respect of the individual task and schedule is very important for the entire company. Trust is also a capital element in a working environment.
As I was between the management and other worker, I have an idea about the two minds and will help me quite a lot for my future employment.
One of my most important assets is, I have improved my ability to listen to people through a special relation with my co-workers.

The hardest part of this job was at the sowing, data collection and harvesting. We had to do over times. Working also in the middle of summer was hectic, but I did enjoy with my co-workers even elaborated some strategies in order to support and be fast.

The most enjoyable part was before Christmas. We usually had a kind of funny competitions between co-workers and there was no loser. I also enjoyed every time the company organised baby showers for future mothers, we always had fun.
5,0
Wonderful job, management is well-orchestrated. Work long hours even though the job is part time. I learnt how to deal with students in a constructive and productive manner, enabling them to understand and apply their knowledge from undergraduate programmes to daily life situations and various journal articles they read. It is an innovative job encouraging students to think outside the box, to contemplate the deeper meaning.
Co-workers are friendly and are readily available for assistance or guidance. The hardest part of the job is having to work long hours even though I am employed part time, and also dealing with difficult or demanding students. Deadlines create pressure, but are enjoyable. Management is well-executed and operates smoothly majority of the time.
Pros
Working with students, being able to be creative and innovative
Cons
Long hours, dealing with difficult and demanding students
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stellenbosch University. Our community is ready to answer.
4,1