Stellenbosch University

Stellenbosch University Pay & Benefits reviews

Besides lecturing schedule, there is no fixed work-time (flexible hours). However, academia is results driven, and as such most days are spent in the laboratory (10+ hours per day).
No benefit for contract workers, must have contract for 2 years and up to have benefits. Business Management always busy, due to function they beform.
As a full-time employee, you will enjoy a great salary in one of the most beautiful towns in the world. Benefits are excellent. However, part-time employment does not cover basic cost of living, often requires more hours than are actually paid for, and come with zero job security. Furthermore, university structures systemically exclude part-time employees from management structures or decision making processes, so that part-time employees cannot take part in processes that influence their future work.
Pros
beautiful town, easy to get about, close to nearby attractions.
Cons
lack of benefits, lack of security, lack of respect for expertise.
Stellenbosch University supports the staff to remain in the university through providing inclusive benefits, remuneration and career opportunities and academic freedom.
I only worked as a tutor and assistant but the hours are good since you can select when you want to work and you are always paid on time. It is also not a formal environment so you can swop shifts with others if you cannot make your slot
Job hours were fair for everyone. Job description was well put. Management was great. The balance between studies and work was Good, it just needed your time management.
It's a university, you get paid badly but get to work on projects of your own choice. There is minimal pressure and room expand your personal academic growth.
Pros
Low pressure
Cons
Low pay
Tutor students, people learn differently because they are different. management was good the culture was ok balancing between work and my studies free lunch during meetings
Pros
challenge
Cons
low salary
My day starts daily with receiving deliveries from different courier services companies then deal with student and academic requests and queries for the day.
Pros
Being able to deal with different clientele on a daily basis.
Cons
Benefits and perks are not market related (13th cheque)
At first its been a tremendous challenge to adapt to the long hours spend on each shifts especially knight shifts. Time goes by and you get use to the hours. My motivation behind taking the job was the benefits and the opportunity my daughter had to study for free. Enjoyed working with the students and the idea I'm part of the team that ensures their safety on the Campus.
Pros
Medical Aid
Cons
The working environment are very professional. As a individuals you are required to be professional at all times. The University give students the opportunity to gain a extra income and experience in terms of how to deal with conflict
Pros
Not under strick supervision
Cons
This position did not demand a lot of attention and did not come with many benefits. It was simply to help younger students in their learning abilities.
This was a really fun experience, you get to do what you love, meeting new people and getting to know how to deal with different personalities. I enjoyed working for Stellenbosch. Incredible bosses and loving co workers.
Pros
Free lunches and good salary
Cons
Long hours and standing most of the day
I learnt to manage my time, to pay attention to details of my work as it can affect the quality of my results and learnt to be a juggler because it proves me to be a more responsible person
Pros
Weekly snacks.
Cons
I was a part-time employee so most of my duties would commence before or after class depending on my timetable. My typical day would start with me reporting to the Senior Administrative Officials in order to brief them on my progress with my projects and they would tell me if any additional work needed to be done or any new tasks became available. I learned a lot with regards to teamwork as well the ability of processing criticism and using to advance my work. My co-workers were extremely helpful with the timetable being interlinked I had to learn to trust the next person to complete a task on my behalf. The most challenging part of the job having to balance several tasks that need to be handled simultaneity. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relations that I had developed with my co-workers and it felt like we were a family.
Pros
Free coffee and flexible timetable
Cons
Stagnant salary
I had a lot of flexibility in terms of how I want to spend my time and on which part of my project I want to work. I enjoyed working with a wide variety of people, including workshop staff, analytical personnel, professors, fellow post-graduate students as well as under-graduate students. I enjoyed the fact that the work was not routine work being repeated. Every day had different activities and challenges. I learned to manage my own time and to be self-motivated. I learned that, by eating an elephant one bite at a time, one can complete a big project. The hardest part of doing a PhD was the fact that it is a very lonely journey - you alone are responsible for your project. I enjoy team-work, and it was therefore not always easy to be on this journey all by myself.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Student salary :-)
It was interesting to speaking to different learners from different areas, it was fun to call anybody you want to call after you have finished calling all the students
Pros
free lunch
Cons
This was a university production. I did not get payed for this.
it was good, days always planned and organised. managemen was good and wasnt provoking. coworkers were friendly and helpful when needed.
Pros
Free food