Stellenbosch University
4,1 out of 5 stars.

Stellenbosch University Work-Life Balance reviews

A typical day at work is fun and exciting. I learn new things everyday from my peers. My boss is understanding and compassionate. The workplace culture is inclusive.
Stellenbosch peers are very organized and helpful. They have an excellent learning environment with collaborative personnel. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students.
Pros
Organized
Cons
Besides lecturing schedule, there is no fixed work-time (flexible hours). However, academia is results driven, and as such most days are spent in the laboratory (10+ hours per day).
Wonderful space for students to start getting some work experience while studying. Learning how to time management everything in your life and actually feeling like you are contributing towards a team.
I enjoy working at Stellenbosch University. It is a fast-paced, stimulating environment and I love sharing my work space with so many knowledgeable people. Our management in the division strives to offer training and growth opportunities to team members and encourages a caring workplace culture.
During my time with the company I had two different leadership roles. In both these positions I was allowed to take responsibility for the projects and programs that I wanted to develop and employ. Great learning opportunity. Highly recommend.
A typical day at work was quite involving and required a lot of planning and execution. It helped to cultivate an attitude of careful planning and organizational attitude. Also, the work environment resulted in a good social and inter-personal relationships between workers and customers. The hardest part of work was finding a suitable place and time to fit in impromptu work but we usually ended up finding a way even during stressful and hectic days. Nevertheless, the opportunity to relate with others and help them solve their queries brought joy to us and made it worth it.
Stellenbosch University supports the staff to remain in the university through providing inclusive benefits, remuneration and career opportunities and academic freedom.
You are made to feel at home and accepted. Stellenbosch is diverse and energetic. You can walk everywhere and it is rather safe for such a busy place. The campus feels like home after a while and is catered to everyone's needs.
Pros
Easy to adjust
Cons
Finding Parking is an issue
My typical day at work would include performing general administrative tasks such as updating students marks; obtaining quotes for various lab equipment and stationary needed; and working through lecturing and practical schedules. I enjoy working at this university. I have been given an amazing opportunity to learn and grow both professionally and personally. demonstrating undergraduate chemistry students, the job help us to remember the basics and principles of chemistry. The management is good. The hardest part of my job would probably be having to deal with difficult or disruptive students in the lab.The most enjoyable part of my job is being in a position where I am able to teach new first year students about basic lab techniques and prepare them for the work environment.
Pros
Free lab coats
Cons
The university is situated in a beautiful location between the vineyards and mountains. Colleagues are very friendly and you enjoy a good work-life balance. Support systems are in place, but you are completely in charge of driving your career.
It's a university, you get paid badly but get to work on projects of your own choice. There is minimal pressure and room expand your personal academic growth.
Pros
Low pressure
Cons
Low pay
Creates room to grow and development. Encourages self empowerment and personal development. Skillful courses available online and facilitators very well trained.
Pros
Oppertunities available for growth.
I will check out my e-mails and respond accordingly. Check my weekly plan schedule for follow ups of the day. I will attend meetings internally or externally. Liaise with Communication contacts just to find out how they are doing in current projects in their various municipalities. Write articles from events I recently attended.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Long hours away from home
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the department of Economics at Stellenbosch University as a tutor. The department, as the management in this regard, made it very easy for us to do our work properly. I was provided with all that I thought I needed and beyond that. The training provided was of a fairly good standard. There was also enough time for me to work on tutoring, lecturing, my academic work, and also to partake in things I like, for example, working out and playing football.
At first its been a tremendous challenge to adapt to the long hours spend on each shifts especially knight shifts. Time goes by and you get use to the hours. My motivation behind taking the job was the benefits and the opportunity my daughter had to study for free. Enjoyed working with the students and the idea I'm part of the team that ensures their safety on the Campus.
Pros
Medical Aid
Cons
The working environment are very professional. As a individuals you are required to be professional at all times. The University give students the opportunity to gain a extra income and experience in terms of how to deal with conflict
Pros
Not under strick supervision
Cons
Great environment to be at and grow. Offers learning opportunities and exposure. A normal day comprises of multiskilling of tasks, project management, research objectives,
Stellenbosch University has taught how to work hard on my own and as a team member. It forced me to learn time management in order to succeed academicaly while still enjoying life as a student.
I worked at this institute while studying at Stellenbosch Univeristy over the course of 2016. I engaged research on a more practical level as I compiled a database of invasive species. I learnt a great deal about literature based publications and well as working with my colleges in order to promote productive working within the office. This was also the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job.
Pros
Office space
Cons
Excellent employer once permanent position is secured. Very high quality tertiary education institution. Culture of development of employees definitely a plus.